Share |
What Made America Great...

Author

07-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Hey Friends,

I was talking with Jack King about growing up in America during the 1950's. We agreed that it was the golden age of America. It was a time of great hope in America when just about everything seemed to be going right. We had a President in Dwight D Eisenhower that had been responsible for the US and it's allies winning World War II. Nobody dared mess with the United states back then. In fact, we were the moral leader of the free world. Back then Americans never had a question about what was right or what was wrong. We had a strong moral compass in America back then that was founded on God's Word, "The Holy Bible". And it was reinforced in the media including television and movies. This was especially true of all the cowboy shows that kids watched back then.

Seriously, back when I was a little kid growing up in the 1950s Cowboy Shows were all the rage. There was Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickok, The Lone Ranger, and Roy Rogers that all had clubs that kids could join and be a part of. When you sent in your 'box tops' you received a kit in the mail with your membership badge and a code of honor and conduct that you were to live by. As 'corny' as it is by today's standards I want you to each read what that code of honor was that each of these cowboy heroes had their fans that were boys and girls live by. Here they are:

Gene Autry's Code of Honor

A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.

A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.

A cowboy always tells the truth.

A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.

A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.

A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.

A cowboy is always a good worker.

A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.

A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.

A cowboy is a Patriot.

Hopalong Cassidy and "Topper"Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls

The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.

Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.

If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.

Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.

Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.

If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.

Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.

A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.

Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.

Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.

Wild Bill HickockWild Bill Hickock Deputy Marshal's Code of Conduct

I will be brave, but never careless.

I will obey my parents. They DO know best.

I will be neat and clean at all times.

I will be polite and courteous.

I will protect the weak and help them.

I will study hard.

I will be kind to animals and care for them.

I will respect my flag and my country.

I will attend my place of worship regularly.

The Lone RangerThe Lone Ranger Creed

I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever.

I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

Roy Rogers and "Trigger"Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules

Be neat and clean.

Be courteous and polite.

Always obey your parents.

Protect the weak and help them.

Be brave, but never take chances.

Study hard and learn all you can.

Be kind to animals and care for them.

Eat all your food and never waste any.

Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.

Always respect our flag and our country.

Roy RogersRoy Rogers Prayer

Lord, I reckon I'm not much just by myself,
I fail to do a lot of things I ought to do.
But Lord, when trails are steep and passes high,
Help me ride it straight the whole way through.

And when in the falling dusk I get that final call,
I do not care how many flowers they send,
Above all else, the happiest trail would be
For YOU to say to me, "Let's ride, My Friend"

AMEN

In addition to all of the above, we had John Wayne reinforcing the same positive message in all of his movies. The message was always the same. We do what's right because it's right. Just watch John Wayne in "The Searchers", "Rio Bravo", or "The Alamo".

This message of "doing what is right because it is right" was reinforced in the last great western of that era, "The Magnificent Seven". The whole story was based on integrity, honor, and self sacrifice.

Then in addition to all of the above we had Charles Atlas reinforcing the same message for thirteen consecutive weeks to every Charles Atlas student. With Atlas you didn't just develop a beautiful physique you developed a great person in every sense of the word.

So when did it all change? And when did America lose it's moral compass? It all started in 1963 when Madeline Murray O'Hare won a court case in the American Supreme Court that would out-law prayer and bible reading from public schools. From that point forward there was no moral compass guiding America and now 47 years later we are in one terrible mess in America that never had to happen.

Bottomline: for all of you that are interested in America coming back to it's moral foundation by becoming students of God's Word, The Holy Bible, I recommend that you each check out and prayerfully consider enrolling at : Koinonia Institue at http://www.studycenter.com/

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 07-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Share |

Author

07-13-2010, 09:44 AM

You Make My point Cromwell. And look at what has happened to America because of it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

07-13-2010, 10:00 AM

The Extreme Left has always been honest about thier goals to inflitrate and take over the US Government, Media, Universities and Business. We are seeing today all the objectives of the US Communist Party of the 1960's come into being.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and have the same memories as you John. In the 1960's after lying about my age to work in a factory one summer (for good money); the Union were Capitalists then and referred to the Bosses as "Communist scum", the Union was warning that the Elite of the US were Athiest, Homosexual, Communist, effete Fascist Momma's boy's. Looks like the Union told us the truth!

Share |

Banned

07-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hey Friends,

I was talking with Jack King about growing up in America during the 1950's. We agreed that it was the golden age of America. It was a time of great hope in America when just about everything seemed to be going right. We had a President in Dwight D Eisenhower that had been responsible for the US and it's allies winning World War II. Nobody dared mess with the United states back then. In fact, we were the moral leader of the free world. Back then Americans never had a question about what was right or what was wrong. We had a strong moral compass in America back then that was founded on God's Word, "The Holy Bible". And it was reinforced in the media including television and movies. This was especially true of all the cowboy shows that kids watched back then.

Seriously, back when I was a little kid growing up in the 1950s Cowboy Shows were all the rage. There was Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickok, The Lone Ranger, and Roy Rogers that all had clubs that kids could join and be a part of. When you sent in your 'box tops' you received a kit in the mail with your membership badge and a code of honor and conduct that you were to live by. As 'corny' as it is by today's standards I want you to each read what that code of honor was that each of these cowboy heroes had their fans that were boys and girls live by. Here they are:

Gene Autry's Code of Honor

A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.

A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.

A cowboy always tells the truth.

A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.

A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.

A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.

A cowboy is always a good worker.

A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.

A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.

A cowboy is a Patriot.

Hopalong Cassidy and "Topper"Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls

The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.

Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.

If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.

Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.

Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.

If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.

Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.

A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.

Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.

Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.

Wild Bill HickockWild Bill Hickock Deputy Marshal's Code of Conduct

I will be brave, but never careless.

I will obey my parents. They DO know best.

I will be neat and clean at all times.

I will be polite and courteous.

I will protect the weak and help them.

I will study hard.

I will be kind to animals and care for them.

I will respect my flag and my country.

I will attend my place of worship regularly.

The Lone RangerThe Lone Ranger Creed

I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever.

I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

Roy Rogers and "Trigger"Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules

Be neat and clean.

Be courteous and polite.

Always obey your parents.

Protect the weak and help them.

Be brave, but never take chances.

Study hard and learn all you can.

Be kind to animals and care for them.

Eat all your food and never waste any.

Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.

Always respect our flag and our country.

Roy RogersRoy Rogers Prayer

Lord, I reckon I'm not much just by myself,
I fail to do a lot of things I ought to do.
But Lord, when trails are steep and passes high,
Help me ride it straight the whole way through.

And when in the falling dusk I get that final call,
I do not care how many flowers they send,
Above all else, the happiest trail would be
For YOU to say to me, "Let's ride, My Friend"

AMEN

In addition to all of the above, we had John Wayne reinforcing the same positive message in all of his movies. The message was always the same. We do what's right because it's right. Just watch John Wayne in "The Searchers", "Rio Bravo", or "The Alamo".

This message of "doing what is right because it is right" was reinforced in the last great western of that era, "The Magnificent Seven". The whole story was based on integrity, honor, and self sacrifice.

Then in addition to all of the above we had Charles Atlas reinforcing the same message for thirteen consecutive weeks to every Charles Atlas student. With Atlas you didn't just develop a beautiful physique you developed a great person in every sense of the word.

So when did it all change? And when did America lose it's moral compass? It all started in 1963 when Madeline Murray O'Hare won a court case in the American Supreme Court that would out-law prayer and bible reading from public schools. From that point forward there was no moral compass guiding America and now 47 years later we are in one terrible mess in America that never had to happen.

Bottomline: for all of you that are interested in America coming back to it's moral foundation by becoming students of God's Word, The Holy Bible, I recommend that you each check out and prayerfully consider enrolling at : Koinonia Institue at http://www.studycenter.com/

---John Peterson
John,

Thank you for a great article. I imagine that it would have been a great time to have come of age during the 1950's. I agree with most of the rules that Gene Autry and others encouraged. It is a shame that we can not always trust our government and laws as much as we used to. At one time, being a politician was a noble profession.

Thor

Last edited by Greg Newton; 07-13-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Share |

07-13-2010, 01:42 PM

I saw a great discussion several weeks ago on TV that dealt with what happened to America. They started by saying the many people make fun of the 1950s and the family oriented TV programs that were on the air then.The program pointed out that the generation who were the parents of the era had made it through the depression, faced a major world war in which they had probably lost at least one family member and were just happy that the world was at peace. At that point the American value system was very much in tact. The program went on to pin the "flash point" for the change on Woodstock. It was the beginning of the dominance of the "acid" generation and the "me" generation. It was kind of a bootcamp that trained people to seek their own pleasures no matter what the cost. Many of the participants at Woodstock went on to get their college degrees and became the leaders of the country and unfortunately the agents of change that brought about the world that we live in today. Having been fortunate enough to have spent my adolescent years in the 1950s and having gone through all of the changes since I really agreed with the conclusions of that program.

Share |

Author

07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Gordon My Friend,

You and I have talked about this and we both agreed that the so called "do nothing" presidency of President Dwight D Eisenhower was anything but "do nothing". During President Eisenhower's time in office from January 1953 to January 1961 the USA was the world's only real "Super Power". Even the Soviets were afraid to make a move back then. In fact, we were the envy of the entire world and we enjoyed a level of upward mobility and prosperity as a nation that had never previously been experienced.

Gordon, you came into young manhood during the golden age of American History. Rocky Marciano was The Champ, You were one of Charles Atlas's students, John Wayne was the king of the box office and you guys saw firsthand as Elvis become an international sensation. You even had the original Gorgeous George to watch on pro wrestling. Tell me, do you think there could have been a better time to go through your teen years?

Now as far as the old TV shows of the era, it's true that they may have projected innocence and naivete but they sure were fun to watch. And to this day I still like to watch the old Alfred Hitchcock shows from the 50's. Great stuff.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

There's a great book called The Fourth Turning by historians William Strauss and Neil Howe. In it, they talk about cycles, and how mankind has gone through these cyles throughout history. The cycles (or turnings) are:

1. First Turning: An upbeat era in which institutions are strengthened, new civic orders are planted and individualism is weakened (e.g. 1946 - 1964)

2. Second Turning: A passionate era of spiritual upheaval in which the civic order is challenged by new values (e.g. 1964 - 1984)

3. Third Turning: A time when individualism rises and institutions and civic orders weaken and new values are implanted (e.g. 1984 - 2005)

4. Fourth Turning: A crisis time when there is widespread upheaval and civic orders are replaced with new ones (now? Previously, it was 1929 - 1946)

In early American history, for instance, the four turnings included a blooming Colonial civilization (1704-1727), a ‘great awakening’ spiritual revival (1727-1746), the rebellious French and Indian Wars (1746-1773) and the American Revolution (1773-1794) as the fourth turning.

So right now, we're probably in a fourth turning (according to the authors). So buckle your seat belts. But don't fear, for from this fourth turning will come a rebirth and another first turning. It's the way history's been for thousands of years.

We human's have always been cyclical creatures (from our daily routines to the movement of our society). Old habits die hard I guess

Last edited by TejasT; 07-13-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Share |

07-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks for this great list.

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

07-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Some really great points have been made here. We can't forget what I consider three of the most important American Success characteristics:

1. A sense of adventure

2. Self reliance

3. The willingness and the ability to take risk.

Share |

Banned

07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

TejasT my dad lived through the 4th turning 1929 to 1946 and married mom in England during WWII so she lived through that time to. What john and Gordon say is true, and our fathers wanted Peace and a good place to raise thier families; they also taught us to survive. I learned Boxing and later Bare Knuckle Boxing as a boy. It came in handy, being the first Italian-American boy in 8th grade at my new suburban High School meant I had 5 fist fights with Seniors my first week in school, they hated me. I'd been learning Boxing from a very young age, started out punching dad's open palm at about 2. Being 6 feet tall and muscular also didn;t hurt and I won my fights, they taught me because that was to survive. The US in the 50s and 60s was rougher than it appears.

TejasT my guess is you are a Latino (from the name) and I'm a Latin; the Sicilian's and Chinese curse someone with "may you live in interesting times". As a boy I thought the men in the family were so old fashioned in that each had a Deer shotgun (with short barrel & rifle sights), pistol and very large Bowie knife. I now understand why they have done that for countess generations; like a boy scout you need to be ready. God bless the USA and all her people, and all the free people of the world.

Share |