Share |
Oklahoma pharmacist sentenced to life for killing robber

Banned

07-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Oklahoma pharmacist sentenced to life for killing would-be robber
Fifty-nine-year-old calls his sentence 'an injustice of a monumental proportion'
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43710936...me_and_courts/

There is a video in the article at the bottom. My guess is the Lwyer should have pleaded "Temporary Insantity" a Civilian in a Robbery and Gunfight is under pressure and that is a consideration, the man is a Druggiest not a professional gunfighter.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-16-2011, 09:55 AM

You have a point there Mike. That is why I believe civilians need training before being allowed to have a concealed weapon. Where he crossed the line, just like a police officer would have in the same instance, was coming back to the kid he shot and pumping five more rounds into him to make sure he was dead. You shoot to stop an attack. This was taking justice into his own hands, although in the heat and stress of what was going on, it could have been plead as temporary insanity.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

07-16-2011, 10:00 AM

One other thing. Last year a case happened in our county where a drunk was going around ringing doorbells to find his home. One resident met him with a pistol and then proceeded to pistol whip the drunk who offered no threat. He was just drunk. The homeowner called the police while he held the drunk at gunpoint.

When the investigating deputies arrived they realized that the homeowner had committed the crime by pointing a firearm at and committing battery on the drunk. Before they could arrest the homeowner however, he began having a heart attack and died on the spot. Can you imagine the reports?

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Greg

Share |

Banned

07-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Wow Greg the homeowner was under strain it sounds like, and having a heart attack is this case could well be a cause of action for a Law Suit against the drunk and the Department; Lawyers are tricky! Tthe Reports must have been a lot of hard work preparing.

I can see both sides for the training requirement, having training might leave the licensed to carry permit holder looking like a trained killer, but it would also get them ready for a confrontation.

A Druggiest in a gunfight and life and death struggle; under stress and had adrenaline pumping though him might get off on deminished capasity due to the stress; but shooting a downed robber is always going to result in charges. Reality probably would overwhelm limited training available (for permit holders) and fail in a case like this.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-21-2011, 05:04 AM

I see an appeal in the future of this Pharmacist.

Share |