Share |
Feeling Your Muscles Contract...

Author

03-06-2020, 04:47 PM

Hello Everyone,

It seems to me that just about everyone understands the concept behind DVR (Dynamic Virtual Resistance) exercises yet actualizing the benefits of this type of exercise is another thing altogether.

I am mentioning this because I have been contacted by a man that has been mastering the Seven Tiger moves and he wants to know that he is doing them correctly. So his question was, "Mr.Peterson can you tell me what it is I am supposed to be feeling?"

Can I? I'll give it a try.

Mind generated resistance is certainly NOT a new or novel approach as relates to exercise, by that I mean it's been hidden in plain sight for a long, long time. Many of the old-time Physical Culturists used this method and it was, in fact, the basis of Alois P Swoboda's method. The same goes for Frank Rudolph Young. The key is to learn how to maximize the resistance of the agonist muscles working in opposition to antagonist muscle structures. You can use other words like 'flexors' working against 'extensors' but the terms don't really matter. Believe me, when you master the DVR method it is amazing how fatiguing you can make each of the contractions. If you want to you can dramatically increase the intensity to the point that you are doing just 3 Ultra Intense repetitions and you would then have an effect that is very much like you would experience if you had been using heavy weights that only allowed for 3 repetitions.

So, the big issue is that when you are using gravitational resistance you feel it either pressing down or pulling away (Depending upon the exercises you are doing) and you don't feel that at all when doing DVR. So the question is, "How do you know that you're doing it correctly?" The answer is with DVR exercises you can exert such an intense level of contraction that movement is all but impossible. Seriously, in time you can learn to commit so much intensity to any given exercise that you can exhaust that muscle groups with very few reps. John Mcsweeney mentioned this in his Tiger Moves video. For general daily training, you will want enough intensity so that you really feel the level of exertion by the time you reach 8 repetitions so that the last 2 reps in each set feel challenging. John taught that for all-around lifelong strength and suppleness of your various muscle groups you should train at 3 sets of 10 repetitions on each of the 7 Tiger Moves. However, there is no hard and fast rule. For example, I think that Dr. Laureence Morehouses set and repetition guidelines are perfect for application for DVR.

The Morehouse guidelines divided the program into 8-Week segments with each segment focusing on one general concentration for the duration of 8-Weeks. For enhanced muscle size, for example, Dr. Morehouse would have you doing sets of 15 to 20 repetitions in each set and just two sets initially so that the muscles were worked thoroughly in each set and that you really felt it as you approached the end of each set. In order to know you have done it correctly you experience a "Pump" which is nothing more nor less than feeling the muscles expand with highly oxygenated blood. this evidenced by a feeling that the skin covering the muscles is tighter (it's a very pleasant feeling) As soon as an exercise becomes relatively easy to do as is evidenced by performing 20 reps with no more effort than 15 reps at the outset, you were then advised to make an adjustment by slightly increasing intensity of the exercise so that you were back to performing sets 15. The total number of sets was just 2 at the beginning but he did say that there were many people that enjoyed the work and that for those people they could do up to 5 sets in a given workout. His recipe for building endurance was to do the same exercises as the muscle-building exercises only to do so at a lower level of intensity that allowed for sets of 40 to 50 repetitions or more. Again this was an 8-Week Program for building Endurance. As with the muscle-building concentration, you could do work up to 5 sets. Morehouse always structured his programs so that building new muscle tissue was the first priority followed by building endurance into those same muscles you just built and finally the last objective is to dramatically enhance strength in those muscles. Once again you can use the same exercises but to enhance strength you need to make them so intense that only 3 reps can be accomplished at the outset and only 2-sets. In time you would work up 5 sets if you wanted and the highest number of reps in a strength set was just 5. If you got to a point that you were doing 6 pers instead of 5 you would then increase the intensity so that you were back to sets of 3.

My whole point with this post is that it does not matter which modality of training you are using when building your strength and physique. The objective is to keep the sets and reps within the suggested guidelines in order to enhance muscle size, endurance, or strength. In this regard, John McSweeney was correct in that the level of intensity created by mind generated DVR exercises is what produces the result. in such circumstances, sets of 3 to 5 at your maximum intensity will yield results that are virtually identical to using weights. It is not until you get into really heavy-duty strength training that you are using levels of resistance that cannot be achieved by mind generated muscle tension alone.

One last detail, with Isometric training the only way that You can achieve a first-rate 'pump' is to perform the 3-stage contraction of 5-6-7. You do this by contracting hard for 5 seconds, pausing momentarily and then immediately intensifying the contraction for the next 6 seconds and finally after a very momentary relaxation contract once more for 7 seconds with as much intensity as one can possibly apply. This method absolutely does create a first-rate pump.

---John Peterson

Share |