Share |
The Maffetone Method

06-30-2009, 07:59 PM

I was looking at getting a running book called, "The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness"

I was wondering if anyone here has used this method, and any comments on it???

Any replies appreciated...

WB

Share |

06-30-2009, 08:15 PM

I have never heard of it,but I did a Google search. It sounds like another heart beat monitoring aerobic approach. From the reviews it doesn't sound like anything new.

Share |

06-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Hey Andy;

I guess it does sound like another heart beat monitoring aerobic approach, perhaps like Stu Mittleman's Slow Burn??? That's why I asked, John has wrote about Stu Mittleman in the past...

Just trying to get back into running once again, using something that hopefully doesn't beat me up...

Clarence Bass just had a write up about it, probably more to support the idea of his walking activities more than anyone might think he's would probably ever start running...

http://www.cbass.com/McGuff-Maffetone.htm

Share |

06-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Wackybaby.The Bass article points out that there are deficiencies in using the Maffetone Method alone. I certainly don't claim to be an expert,but I have read other articles that say that aerobics alone actually reduce muscle mass and can have a detrimental effect as a result. I am sure that John can expand on that. Personally I don't think you can find a better system than Transformetrics and it will build NERVE FORCE like no other system that I have found. Combining it with some running can't hurt it that is what you want to do. Gordon

Share |

06-30-2009, 10:07 PM

I have used the Maffetone training method a few times in recent years. Its main purpose is to improve race times by creating a good aerobic base. As was mentioned, Maffetone training is just part of a larger training regimen. It should be used for 6 to 12 weeks to build a base, and then speed work should gradually be added in.

The hardest part of doing Maffetone for me is having to go at a very slow pace every run for so many weeks. It gets pretty boring after awhile. The most I have been able to sustain is about 4 weeks. I must admit, however, that I saw my aerobic fitness (as measured by an increase in pace while running at a fixed heart rate) did improve significantly over that time.

Using the Maffetone approach can interfere with strength training, however, since you are not allowed to let your heart rate go above about 120. This pretty much rules out any high-rep calisthenics, for example.

Share |

07-01-2009, 04:43 AM

Oh no, no way am I just thinking of using that method alone and forgetting my strength training.

I enjoy my strength training too much, that's not my goal...

It's just that I was hoping it had a good, safe method of getting back into running. Using the program's strengths, like Clarence was pointing out, and ignoring the author's point of view on anaerobic training.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Take a look at a book called "Slow Burn" by Stewart Mittleman. If nothing else, it is a tremendous read.

Share |

07-01-2009, 07:55 AM

While walking fast perform upperbody DSRs; the DSRs will add a strength component to your cardio and enhance the cardio with an increased heartrate. Try it; you'll like this simple activity & ignore the stares of the passerbys.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Stu Mittleman's Slow Burn is based on the Maffetone Method, so whichever way you go, the result will be the same.

With the Maffetone/Mittleman method, I was having to walk to stay within the heart ranges they set. Runnning would piut my heart rate too high. As long as you understand that you may have to walk at first before you can actually start running, (Unless you're already in decent aerobic shape, in which case you may be able to run right away), the method will certainly keep you from injuring yourself.

Maffetone does go against the current grain of anaerobic training as the better way to get fit. Long distances do tend to reduce muscle mass instead of increasing it. So your strength training and aerobic work could cancel each other out.

John runs, but he keeps his distances relatively short, I think he only runs about three miles and he runs fast. You can look up old posts on this.

Bottom line, it depends on the goal you have.

Hope this helps

Manny

Share |

07-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks all for the replies...

Quote:
Stu Mittleman's Slow Burn is based on the Maffetone Method
That's what I thought mcj6417.

Pizzaman, that's what I basically want to do, create a good aerobic "running" slanted, base.

Ha. ha grunt.
Quote:
Try it; you'll like this simple activity & ignore the stares of the passerbys.
Oh I don't know, people in my neighborhood probably think I'm strange enough already!

Maybey I'll wait till' dark...

WB

Last edited by Scott Silva; 07-01-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Share |