Share |
Three Runners Die...

10-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Too bad there aren't surefire ways to determine if you're overdoing the endurance thingy. At least your morning resting heartrate does provide some feedback - likewise for strength tests .

Share |

10-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Hey Guys.
What is interesting about this is back in the 70s and 80s we did not see this happen very often like it seems today. I was a heavy runner in high school, college and beyond in the 70s and 80s running 2:22 in the "83" Boston Marathon. Some of my old running mates and I have talked how back in those early days, people trained smarter and more when doing a marathon. I have read some running forums over the last few years and some of these guys are running very little then jumping in a marathon, sometimes two in one weekend. (dumb). We live in a "I want it now" society and I think some of these deaths are people who do not eat right , sleep enough and do not put in the necessary time to prepare their bodies. We also are seeing a few folks now who have preexisting heart conditions.
We had an organization come to our shool and test for a certain heart mall function and out of 400 kids teated, about 5 had it. This ailment is what was thought to have killed Ryan Shay the runner who died at the last Olympic trials marathon.
When I raced marathons I only ran one or two a year ,now we have these folks running 7-10 an year, this is not healthy. I still enjoy a good hard run or bike but do not run at that level nor do I want to anymore.
Monty

Share |

Author

10-20-2009, 01:30 PM

hey Monty,

I was just waiting for you to post. I agree with you. From 1977 to 1989 I averaged a minimum of 70 miles of running each week. I could literally run a marathon anytime I felt like it. And in addition, I almost always completed the full marathon distance in a long training run two weeks before the actual race. This was done to give myself the psychological edge to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I would have no problem completing the 26.2 mile course of the real race. Back then, deaths during marathons were unheard of. In fact, Dr. Tom Bassler wrote several articles stating that the ability to run a marathon literally guaranteed immunity from a coronary.

Here's the deal with what I think is happening today. I personally believe that American soils are so depleted in necessary minerals that most people aren't getting the necessary electrolytes to sustain the body's electrical system. Then as the result of too much endurance work they are literally sweating the electrolytes out of their bodies and putting themselves at risk. I say this based upon the mileage completed in the race before these deaths had occurred according to the article. Bottom line: due to electrolyte depletion these men experienced severe heart irrhythmia and massive coronaries as a direct result. I may be wrong. But I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm right. This is why every adult should be taking supplementary minerals each day. Not just for the skeletal health of bones, tendons, and ligaments but also for circulatory system and proper electrolyte balance within the blood stream.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Hey John,
How do you reccomend that we get enough electrolytes back into our body, would drinking V8 veg juice or simply orange etc a good way to do that?
Thanks

Share |

Author

10-20-2009, 02:08 PM

hey gs300tx,

You bet. So would eating organic celery.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Hey Guys,

John- I totally agree with your post. I would put in 90-110 miles a week 2-3 months out from a marathon, with long runs of 20 miles once a week.
I ate like crazy everyday. HAHA!!

Anyway, got this article which gives a little diffferent take on marathon deaths.
I found this interesting.

http://calorielab.com/news/2009/10/1...hs-in-detroit/

Share |

10-21-2009, 08:55 PM

You're right about that. After competitive marathon races it is known that many of the racer's come down with colds and illness the next day.

Sal

Share |

10-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Chris McDougal's recent book, Born to Run, promotes the idea that the human body was specifically designed for long distance running. The book tells the story of the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico, who run incredible distances without injury or illness. It also weaves in interesting stories about American ultra-runners, and information about modern running shoes and the part they play in running injuries. I highly recommend the book.

I agree with the notion that it is not distance running itself that is the problem, but rather poor diet and training. The example of the Tarahumara would lend credence to this idea.

Share |

10-22-2009, 12:48 AM

Monty, way to go. You just ruined a real good hysteria buzz. You don't get invited to parties much anymore, do you?

Good article. Thanks.

Tom

Share |

10-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Tom,,

HAHAHA!! Yeah not gettin invited to too many parties lately can't seem to figure out why. HMMMMM

I also have read about the Tahamara Indians way back in the 70s also saw a show where some westerners went their and had to get the wooden ball for 20+miles. Then they had to drink with the tribe. I guess the T- Indians really like their alcohol.

Tom ,maybe I could go to their party???

Later my peeps!

Monty

Share |