Share |
Jack LaLanne vs. George Burns

Legacy Member

01-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Okay, I'm going to open up a can of worms!

What are we to make of George Burns living to be over 100 years old, when Jack LaLanne died of natural causes short of that milestone? LaLanne did everything right; he ate right, exercises daily and by all accounts had a remarkably positive attitude about life. Burns smoked one cigar after another, starting when he was a teenage, was wry and a bit cynical (also hilarious, BTW). I'm not sure of Burns' eating or exercises habits, but I do know that it was actually a bad fall that lead to his death.

So what are we to make of this?

-Joe

Share |

01-25-2011, 08:57 AM

Genetics. Choose your parents carefully.

Luck. Be lucky.

My father is 97, doing well, walked, some gardening, moderate eater.

My maternal uncle on the other coast, 97, doing well, moderate eater, plays bridge.

And none of the people we are talking about was overweight.

Be light.

Tom

Share |

01-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Joe,
It would be interesting to see how long his parents and grandparents lived. I would bet more on genetics and that he lived longer than most in his family genes.

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

I'd "blame" it on genetics as well. No matter how hard you pay attention to your lifestyle, genetics still play an important part in certain illnesses, bodycomposition and life span. And, as my mother always says:"when you're coil is finished, there's nothing you can do".

Jan

Share |

Author

01-25-2011, 09:52 AM

I'd also have to say that Jack died of pneumonia. George was lucky enough not to catch it.

Pneumonia has been called by doctors "the old man's friend", for it so quickly takes away the lives of old people.

A doctor told me this, as my mother survived pneumonia (just barely) at the age of 92 a year ago last Fall, and never fully recovered from the effects of the disease after she was released; she died 6 months later of complications of it, though the disease technically was over. (She passed away last March).

I mean, who knows, if Jack had not had the misfortune to contract this disease, he may have lived another 4years. Suffice it to say that he lived a long and very, very energetic life, and the good health and energy you carry right up to the end is what counts.

Greg Mangan
VRT Man

Share |

Banned

01-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Genetics and Luck the big two.

My paternal grandpa died about 55 and his father was around 56 when grandpa was born and great grandpa still alive when my grandpa passed. But great-grandpa lived in the Mountains with clean water, clean air and natural food. That my grandpa died at 55 sounds like an early death, but he worked for the Railroad and was exposed to red lead; the RR used it as an undercoating, rust preventivie for painting trains and also exposed to Asbestos. Most of the men he worked with died around 45. So he was lucky and healthy for that group. A painter on the Railroad told me why my grandpa and all the men all died young in that work, in the 1960's the men were using oxygen and protective suits for that work. Those workers were the first to use red lead and more or less the test group. I am the fourth generation exposed to asbestos, our mom's got asbestosis just washing our fathers work clothes.

I've had pneumonia several times and expect that is the way I'll exit planet earth. The amazing thing is I was supposed to die from Asbestosis a few years ago, had lost 40% of my lung capasity, and the new medications reversed the disease. I got a miracle through science. Funny when the Doctors at the Pulmonary Clinic talked to me I knew that I;d be saved, just a feeling. Now my lung capasity is 100% for my age. Thank God so many others at the Pulmonary Clinic got the same miracle!

Share |

01-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Nobody has mentioned one of the the most important points in my opinion. It is the "desire" to live and the "will" to live. In his book "The Psychology Of Winning" Dr. Dennis Waitly mentions the fact that retirees from the military and business only live 4 to 7 years in retirement. He also mentions psychologist Viktor Frankl who at one point was a prisoner in a Nazi Concentation Camp. Frankl later deveoped his theory of " Purpose" based on the fact that his observaions in the concentration camp showed him that the people who survived had a reason to survive. Maybe they had someone that they wanted to see or they just wanted to get even for the injustices that they had experienced -whatever it was they had a "purpose". Both Jack Lalanne and George Burns enjoyed life and had a "purpose". If you make it over 90 you have done it. Here again is another reason why Transformetrics is superior to other forms of training. It trains your mind and increases your odds in yet another area. An extreme example of the power of the mind and desire is Sir Winston Churchill "The Man Of The Century". Nobody ever lived a more unhealthly life than he did yet he also made it into his 90s. He was overweight, didn't exercise, chain smoked cigars, drank heavily for years, was under constant pressure, and had a heart attack and a stroke. He refused to listen to the advice of his doctors and went right on doing what he wanted to do - he had a sense of "purpose" and the "will to live". Don't just train your body-train your mind too.

Share |

Author

01-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Hey Friends,

For what it's worth, I was once given a video of George Burns's "How to Live to be a Hundred". At the time Burns was in his 90's and he did knee push-ups in the video that were nigh unto perfect. He also stretched and walked a great deal. He ate real food and he laughed a lot. In fact, let me make a point. Developing your sense of humor and laughing a great deal is one of the best things that you can possibly do for your health, strength, and conditioning. It will extend your life.

Think about what I stated above and then consider this. No race of people has ever experienced more hard ship, more suffering, more deprivation or been the victim of more hatred than our Jewish Brothers and Sisters. Why have the JEWS survived when others have not? Answer: #1) God, regardless of what anyone says, the Jews are God's chosen people and the fact that they remain in spite of everything that has been done against them through the millenniums of time is proof that they are protected as a race by God Almighty just as scripture says. Still, there is one other factor that is uniquely Jewish and it is Answer#2) The Jewish sense of humor. Seriously, has it ever occurred to you that the vast majority of professional comedians are Jewish? Do you know why? It's because humor is a survival mechanism. If you can't maintain a sense of humor about life and it's incredible series of twists and turns you'll end up being mean spirited and critical of everyone and everything and you'll end up dead in spirit years ahead of your body. Bottom Line: Humor is an expression of the Life Force. Only God and Human Beings have a sense of humor.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-25-2011, 01:43 PM

You can't discount spirit either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c-WBn5cCg

Share |

01-25-2011, 02:22 PM

They both lived longer than Chris Farley, John Candy and John Belushi.

Share |