Legacy Member

11-22-2011, 02:05 AM

Hiya all,

Hope you are all well and training hard. It's been a while since I've been on here (Feb/april of this year??) it's been a really tough year - my wife has been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and has been having a bad time (Anyone on here any helpful thoughts on this?? would be appreciated!).

That plus working 70 hours a week, sometimes without a day off for weeks on end basically threw my training out of the window!!

Anyway my work has died down now for the winter so I have a bit more time to train again (plus unless I do some training I think I'm going to go insane).

So tonight is my first (small) workout, basic stuff - Hindu squats, Hindu pushups, pushups, back bridge & a few iso's. then can increase it every week.

Whats everyone on here upto these days? and what kind of training you all doing lately?

Take care all

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Legacy Member

11-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Hey Paul,

Good to see you back on. For me, work and stress has been crazy, so I've been doing Isometrics and DVR's everyday to save energy and time. I still squeeze in some power cals when I can, but Isometrics is the driver these days. Sorry to here about your wife, she'll be in my prayers.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

11-22-2011, 05:56 AM

Hi Greg, thanks I appreciate it. Yes isometrics are great for doing throughout the day.

Just done 20 pushups and the milo at work to get me started lol

Share |

Banned

11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Paul glad to see you back, hope you have time for yourself. May the Lord bless your wife and you; hope there is a cure for her, she is in my prayers.

Share |

Author

11-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Hey Kenpopaul,

It's great to hear from you my friend. Thank you for sharing with us the health challenges your wife is experiencing. Please let her know that I am contacting the prayer chain at Koinonia Institute and that there will be prayer warriors from all over the world interceding on her behalf.

Now as far as your own strength and fitness are concerned, don't worry about it because your body memory will help get you back into peak condition quicker than you might imagine.

One other thing Paul, I hope that you and your wife will be reading our daily devotionals.

God Bless You My Friend.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Hi, Paul,

Sorry to hear about your wife. I was diagnosed with UC about 12 years ago, and I know it is no fun.

What worked best for me to get things under control was cortisone enemas. Sounds gross, but it did the trick. The problem with cortisone, though, is that it is dangerous to take long term, so I had to find a safer permanent treatment.

I discovered that the medication I was first prescribed (Asacol/Mesalamine) was actually causing severe side effects (bloating, intestinal pain) that I had originally thought were part of the colitis. When I went off Asacol and just used the cortisone, my symptoms went away fairly quickly. Through a lot of web surfing I finally found a medication called Pentasa that has the same active ingredient as Asacol, but a different delivery mechanism. It does not cause the side effects in me. I have been in remission for 11 years now just taking the Pentasa.

Your wife's situation may very well be different, since my reaction to the Asacol is not typical. But I thought I would mention it just in case.

I hope your wife finds relief soon from the UC.

Share |

Legacy Member

11-24-2011, 02:22 AM

thanks all for all your support and prayers etc.

Pizza man - many thanks for this inspiring message from you. I read it out to her and it's helped a little. I think once she gets her head around it all it'll get better for her. Did you ever look into the Specific Carb Diet to help your UC?? she's just started it so can't really say if it's helping or not but thousands of people have good results from it (apparently).

John - again, thanks. The prayer warrior's sound interesting!! thanks. As for my fitness, yeah I'm already finding myself gaining faster than I thought I would. e've just got back from a 10 day holiday where I've been eating very healthy (due to my wife's problem) and can't believe how much I've improved physically - I almost look (and feel) as good as when I was in my training prime a few years ago - and get this: I only did one brief workout whilst away!! it's all from diet!

Still get a bit of trouble from my shoulder though, so gotta make sure I warm in up every morning and before workouts etc.

Thanks all,

- Kenpopaul

Share |

11-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Hang in there brother, our prayers are with you and your wife. I'll second Greg and John. One, do the DVRs and Isos, they will calm a nerve. Two, the devotionals will also calm a nerve and center your faith and ability to deal with whatever this world has to throw your way.

Tomman

Share |

11-24-2011, 11:42 PM

Hi, Paul, I never tried any dietary things to address the colitis, other than drinking aloe vera juice at the suggestion of my chiropractor. That did not seem to help, and the stuff tasted gross! Thanks for the info on the SC diet. I will check it out.

Share |