11-23-2009, 07:26 PM

I didn't want my comment to get buried in another post. I wanted to make sure that some of you got to read it. It is not that what I have to say is more important than anyone else's but I feel very passionate about it. I haven't seen it down here yet but I am sure that they will eventually get it though. My daughter is a Type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed right before she turned 4. When she was 4 she went on insulin. She will soon be 16 years old on December 6th. I have watched her for nearly 12 years now, take shots, be put in the hospital and many other problems that a diabetic goes through. Some folks say that it is because of the chemicals in our foods and the terrible diet that we have now. Others say that it is a parasite in the pancreas. What I do know that when we occasionally eat the trash in the fast foods or processed foods I see the pain that she goes through. What amazes me even more is that for years some people have known how bad this stuff is for you but put it out any way for the all mighty dollar. Another thing that is really amazing is how we today think that you have really deprived your kids if you don't take them to the fast food joints and feed them the junk food. People have told us that we really deprive our children by not letting them have some of this stuff. I have a very good friend in the states that allows his children to wake up every morning drinking cokes and all through the day. One time while they were visiting my kids offered them snacks and they couldn't taste how sweet the fruit was. Their taste was that far off. Hey, I am not criticizing his children, they are fine children but I did tell him that you need to get them off of that junk or you are going to have problems. He just had one of them go into the hospital just this year and the doctors told him that his blood chemicals were all out of whack and to improve his diet. I hope that I get to see this movie soon. Really it is not a joking matter.

Aaron

Share |

11-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Aaron,

Agreed. I see this with my family too. We don't do the fast food very often and when we do it is amazing how bad you feel afterwards. This just confirms our comittment to keep our kids off this food as much as we can. I'm blessed that we have 4H friends that we purchase our beef from each year that their kids raise without all the junk.

I hope your daughter stays healthy.

Jon

Share |

11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm glad you started another discussion thread about Food, Inc., Aaron.

Last week I saw the movie and I've been trying to think of ways to put in action what I've seen.

Where I work, there's people bringing in food all of the time. Everything and anything is an excuse for a potluck or celebration. In a lot of ways it's a very nice thing. But, of course, it's not all organic and food is a social, community-oriented thing. It would be a faux pas to not eat anything.

Then there's the fact that sometimes I'm out running errands. Eating in a restaurant is very convenient. But, again, who knows what's in there?

I remember from one of the extras on Super Size Me. Morgan Spurlock showed how things decomposed. The burger from the mom n' pop restaurant decomposed normally, showing all kinds of mold on it. The Big Mac held up better, decomposed slower. The McDonald's fries didn't decompose at all. The implied lesson: eat a Big Mac if you absolutely have to, though it would be better to eat the regular hamburger. The fries - avoid them at all costs.

So, other than outright paranoia, what are the things that you really, really need to be sure are organic? Where do you get the most bang for your food buck? Anyone know? Do you have to buy all organic fruits? The milk in my fridge says 'No RBST' but it's not organic. . . .

I just wish some of this stuff was cut and dried - like don't smoke.

Share |

11-25-2009, 06:10 AM

We need to get back to the old way of doing stuff and start using some common sense in our diet. The problem with most people is that they don't any kind of balance. They are kind of like a hungry kids in a candy store with $5 burning a hole in their pocket. They are going to spend all of their money and get as much as they can. Then they will sit there and eat it until they get sick, swear they will never do it again and then the next time that they have money they do it again. Of course times have changed and you can't get as much for $5 but you know what I am saying. Fast food restaurants are not supposed to be for daily food plans but for occasional dining. The biggest problem is that some hit it everyday because they like the convenience and the flavor. Many folks have forgotten that the most convenient and flavorful foods are fruits and vegetables. I know that it is more expensive to buy organic but the flavor and the health benefits are so much more important. I am blessed to be living in the Dominican Republic where there is a plentiful supply of fresh fruits are readily available for snacks. Even on a limited budget, you have got to prioritize. It is amazing down here in a third world country some of our poorest friends will have money to drink a couple of cokes a week when there is hardly any food on the table. They always ask me why my kids don't drink a lot of cokes. I tell them that they are bad for you and too expensive.

John has been telling us about the problem with our diets here is just that a lot of people just don't listen. Many of remember when I first started on the forum I was eating a lot of pop tarts and other processed foods like that and John told me that I shouldn't be eating that type of food when we had all this naturally good fresh fruit all around us. Not only have we lost a lot of weight, but we feel tremendously better. I am still looking forward to seeing this film but to me is amazing that it takes something like this to wake people up.

Aaron

Share |

01-09-2010, 07:32 PM

I just watched Food, Inc last night, and found it to be very disturbing. I highly recommend watching this movie if you have not seen it yet. It's not just about how unhealthy some food is, it is also about the overall impact of the fast food industry on the global economy, environment and human dignity. It will really make you think.

Share |

01-11-2010, 05:21 AM

I am interested in that movie, but don't know how I am going to get to see it.

I read an article that really said it all. It was about how third world countries are educating indigenous doctors who they hope to send into the villages. The doctors, however, instead of moving to the villages where it isn't so pleasant and they won't make any money, then move to the cities or the US where life is nice and they can make money. The people in the remote villages only need doctors for things like infections and broken bones. The people in the villages call things like cancer and heart disease "city diseases". What does that tell you??? We tend to feel sorry for the poor country folk, calling them primitive and backwards. But perhaps they are better off in some important ways??? I suppose that if they don't die of an infection or aren't eaten by an animal, they die of an ailment called OLD AGE, rather than from the vast variety of city diseases plaguing the civilized countries. (City diseases = caused by chemical foods and many forms of pollution and chemicals in the lifestyle)

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Last edited by April; 01-11-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Share |