Share |
I Keep Throwing Out My Back (Suggestions)

Banned

01-12-2011, 02:41 PM

I just turned 37 (which feels young to me). But good grief, I can't believe I'm writing a 'throwing my back out' question. Anyway, here goes . . .

Once a year, it seems I throw out my back (by that, I mean I pull something wicked in my lower back). I ice it, rest it, and it usually is good to go in a week or so.

I seem to hurt it doing something like throwing the kids around, or trying to make a weird layup at basketball or something. At first, it's a little 'oooh, what was that' kind of feeling. And then the pain starts.

I was wondering if you all had any exercises or suggestions to avoid this in the future. Part of the issue is that I sit at an office job. I also have a slight case of scoliosis; the area that's twisted is always where I pull something.

Any suggestions you all might have would be appreciated.

Share |

Banned

01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

I've had success alleviating lower back problems by adding hyperextension movements to my routine, similar to the BA-3 DVR/ISO movement in PYTP. I usually did these immediately after my ab work. Also, adding some hamstring work, such as the Leg Biceps Contraction also helps.

Share |

01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

I'm younger than you but have fought and thankfully overcome some serious low back pain. In many cases it's a conditioning and flexibility issue.

I find the first several exercises in IPR's "Magnificient 7" warm-up exercises to be extremely effective in conditioning the muscles surrounding the lumbar spine. I modify the first of the Magnificient 7 by beginning the motion by leaning as far backward as I can comfortably control, then I add a little DVR to the motion - really thinking into the lumbar muscles. John once referred to this as the "Standing Superman", and I believe it to be the best low back exercise in existence. Tiger Stretch pushups (also found in the Magnificient 7) are fantastic for conditioning and adding flexibility to the lower spine.

I hope that helps!

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

Author

01-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Hey Tejas T,

This is a tough one and I'll tell you why. It has to do with the fact that each and every one of us has a different body type and weight distribution. That in addition to a individual strength and fitness level. Sometimes a program or exercise that works well for one person may cause pain and even agony to another. This is why any book or program that does not address somatotype or the possible need for weight loss is incomplete and may in fact cause more pain than relief. That said, I was talking with Jack King once and he told me about some young guy that had extraordinary strength as relates to performing dead lifts. If I remember correctly Jack said the young guy could lift in the neighborhood of 600 pounds. but then one day he comes in out of the blue and sees 400 pounds and tries it without a warm-up and it destroyed the young guys lower back.

Bottom line: bad lower backs are a problem that is universal. Anybody can suffer from it. the best answer is too decompress and study and know your own body. Nothing takes the place of self knowledge.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-12-2011, 10:12 PM

I am 72 and so I am very close to twice your age. When I was your age I experienced a similar problem to the one that you are now dealing with. Fortuntely my problem was due to strain and not to a disc or other structural problem. My answer was rest combined with mild DVRs and Isometrics where I listened to my body very carefully to make sure that I was not over doing it. I just listened to my body very carfully and after a period of rest while I was easing back into the exercises at the first sign of a twitch or any negative feed back I just backed off of the exercise and went back to rest. That was decades ago and I have had no problems for many, many years. The key is listening to your body and letting it guide you. It gets back to that quote that I like so much."Your instincts and your intuition know more about what is good for you than any other source".

Share |

01-12-2011, 10:41 PM

Like many of the others who posted, I have had similar problems. What I have found works really well for me is applying traction to decompress and realign my spine. I find that often just hanging from a chinup bar or something similar for as little as 15 to 20 seconds will put my back into proper alignment. I can feel and sometimes even hear things realigning.

Several months ago I purchased an inversion table, and use that for a few minutes each evening. It is easier to do for longer periods of time than hanging from my arms. It is quite relaxing, and I have not had my back "go out" since I started using it.

Share |