Share |
Frank Zane on being busted up from heavy weight training

Legacy Member

01-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Frank Zane has been much admired for the symmetry and beauty of his physique. At different times on this forum it has been discussed that Frank had been busted up with the weights. Some have reported that he was in so much pain he couldn't sleep at night, and others querying him on his website, came back and reported he was completely healthy. Where does the truth lie? Usually in the middle.

This is a commercial site I am linking to. I am a moderator. I am authorized to do this if I think there is a point to it. So don't do the same thinking it is O.K. Clear it with John, Joe or me first.

This is a reprint of a 2008 interview with Frank, where he candidly talks about heavy lifting and the injuries he has suffered from. I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-le...interview.html

Greg

Share |

01-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Greg,

This is great stuff and really that is why we need to train for old age and good health.

Granted he probably made money and fame but now is paying the price for it, though this will fall on deaf hears form those that pump iron.
Reminds me of a lot of former NFL guys and former wrestlers (WWF)
Monty

Share |

Send a message via MSN to Mullarkey

01-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you very much for the link. I found it very interesting and sad at the same time. We always need to think long term health.

Share |

01-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks Greg, that is helpful.

Aaron

Share |

Legacy Member

01-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Goto the top of the page at the link posted and click on Arnold's page...there is a good video on motivation that is on his page from YouTube.....

Share |

Legacy Member

01-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Great Article. Love the part about how if he could do it all again he'd do more volume with lighter weights. Just like we all like to do (except with our own bodyweight etc).

Very interesting article indeed, thanks for posting. Like the motivation video also!

Share |

Author

01-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Hey Greg,

Truly a fascinating article. Thanks for posting it. In my opinion Mr. Zane had the best physique of his time. I wonder why he never moved on to doing movies. I'm sure he could have done well.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Interesting article, Greg. I appreciated that he said that if he could have gone back, he would have trained with lighter weights and nothing under 10 reps, and as a result would have been smaller but more lean and defined and with less pain. Seems in line with the sensible, longevity-focused training strategies promoted here.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Hey guys,

Frank Zane was incredible. I remember reading his articles in the seventies and the poundages he mentioned were actually believable. I think it was interesting that he reported doing 400-1000 reps every day in abdominal exercises.

Zane did one SciFi movie called Sagan which never got off the shelf. He also did a guest appearance on a Robert Wagner series. As well, he did commentary for Wide World of Sports. When he won the Olympia, it was heralded as a new era where aesthetics would play a role in bodybuilding. You have to wonder what happened.

Greg

Share |

01-31-2011, 08:29 AM

I remember reading an artile a couple of years ago, probably in Planet Muscle, where Frank was talking about his new leg machine that he created because he trashed his knees doing heavy squats. If i remember right, it had a belt and a frame, and the weights sat on his thighs and he held on to the frame in front of him and squatted down. I remember thinking at the time that there had to be something wrong with that. And, maybe two months later, I hurt my lower back doing bent over rows with too much weight and that took about six months to recover from.

Share |