Share |
Handstand Push Up Question

02-26-2011, 02:23 PM

I can do half Handstand push ups
should i do loads of half handstand push ups or another exercise to gain strength.

Share |

Author

02-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Hello Abdul,

You can perform half handstand Push-Ups and gradually work lower. No problem with that at all.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-26-2011, 07:11 PM

I have not done handstand pushups for several years, but one trick I used to measure progress was to put a stack of books (or something similar) on the floor beneath my head, and use that as an indicator of how far down to go. When I could do 10-12 reps at a given height, I would remove a book from the stack so that I would go down farther. I never reached my goal of going all the way to the floor, but I did make progress that way.

Share |

02-26-2011, 10:21 PM

You may also want to do some pullups. It's amazing how much handstand pushups require the lats for stabilization.

Another option is to throw in a few negatives at the end of your HSPU sessions. I like to set a pillow down and slowly lower my head to the pillow.

Share |

02-28-2011, 09:08 AM

What helped me with Handstand Pushups was doing sets of 20 to 30 reps in Jacknife Pushups with the butt in the air and lowering the top of the head to the floor. Doing a few sets of these followed by some flexing and DVR's gave my shoulders a good pump, and when I went back to Handstand Pushups a few weeks later, my reps had increased.

Share |