Share |
ADHD and the American diet

Legacy Member

03-08-2011, 06:00 AM

I'm more convinced than ever that the decades old food pyramid and the thinking that produced it has had a very serious effect on our population. I think it's effects have literally taken generations to to come to light and a lot of social problems we're now dealing with might be directly related. One thing in particular is ADHD which it seems like every kid in America has now adays.

I've talked to a lot of parents whose kids have ADHD and all of them have the typical kind of diet recommend to them by the "experts", including cutting out all of the "evil foods" that are in reality super healthy. For example, they'll tell me their kids have corn flakes for breakfast but no eggs, because as everyone know, eggs will kill you. Now just stop and think about this, you take corn flakes, which is basically just pure sugar, maybe add in some fruit - more sugar - and cover it with skim milk - more sugar and then send that kid off to school where he proceeds to bounce off the walls. Then you say he has a medical disorder because he can't concentrated.

Hello? You just fed him a bowl of sugar with very little protein and no fat at all because - as we all know - fat will kill you dead. Instantly.

I don't blame parents for this, after all the "experts" have been telling them this for years.

I'd love to see a study done where they take some of these kids and put them on a natural food diet. Lots of veggies, natural fats and plenty of protein. I wonder what the outcome would be.

-Joe

Share |

03-08-2011, 08:16 AM

I think a change of diet would solve a lot of problems including ADHD. Don't some of these kids' parents ever wonder why there was no such thing as ADHD when they were younger? Duh! It's your diet!

Share |

Author

03-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Hey Joe,

You are absolutely correct. BUT in addition to the foodless foods that children routinely consume there is also the very real problem of chemical preservatives, additives, and colorings that act as 'excitotoxins" that over stimulate children and that over the course of time will actually kill nerve cells.

I feel bad for today's children and what so many of them are experiencing.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Diet is huge but in a lot of cases these days we need to look at a lack of recess too - or schools that have no place to run and play.

At 44 when I get in these eight-hour classes at work, sometimes I feel like I have ADHD because I have to sit still for more than 50 minutes at a time. I've taken a Frisbee to class, tossed it around on break. It really does help concentration.

Share |

Banned

03-08-2011, 11:23 AM

GS I think you have a great point, many of us are older and we had recess twice a day and Gym daily or 3 times a week. GS I think you have hit a nail on the head here as to why so many are turned off by school. I loved Gym daily as a kid and recess too.

Joe great points; people think thier kids eating pure sugar is healthy and not eating toxic eggs saves the kid's lives. Corn Syrup sweeter is 1/3 to 1/5 as sweet as cane sugar so manufactuers require 3 times to 5 times as much corn syrup (adding 3 to 5 times the calories from sugar) to make it taste like cane sugar. The Government pushed corn syrup sweetner and the kids are paying the price.

Great thread here all.

Share |

03-08-2011, 12:53 PM

I would have to agree with all the points here. Back in the 60-70s as Mike said, we got out and played with recesses and gym class. Then after school the kids in the neighborhood would go play games together. Now we see afternoons are sitting in front of TV or playing video games. How many of our parents back then used to say go out and play because your too active inside. Whenever there was a snow day or too cold or rainy to go outside our parents dreaded it because we bounced off the walls. If we were outside playing, when we came back in we were too tired to have the jitters. Today kids get no activity to curb their inherent stimulants of needing to move!!

Also, back in those days, cereal was a lot different than it is now. I used to have cereal for breakfast every day, with skim milk (it was blue back then) but because we were active we burned off, but more importantly there wasn't the amount of sugar there is today, and no HFCS was used back then.

Our son is allergic to eggs, so tough to go this route with him, so we try to purchase more natural cereals and it seems to help.

Great discussion and I believe it will take reform in schools but also reform at home to help our children grow up healthy.

Jon

Share |

03-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Agreed--diet plays a huge role, as does lack of movement.

I also once heard a presentation on solutions to ADHD using some methods derived from Neurolinguistic Programming. This particular person found that almost every kid he talked to with ADHD had numerous movies playing in their heads at one time and therefore "couldn't concentrate" because the images wouldn't slow down. He teaches kids to learn to fix their inner images by imagining a long word like "democracy" and then having them spell it backward by picturing it, telling him the middle 3 letters, etc.

I wonder how these kids get these fast moving images in their heads in the first place? Hmm.... ;) On a related note, every ADHD kid I know LOVES video games.

Share |

Banned

03-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Very interesting Duff! I had no idea that Hypnotism, ie Neurolinguistic Programming would have any effect on ADHD. Interesting that Therapist uses a good method.

Share |

03-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Yea Mike, I found that technique interesting. I've had some attention issues myself and have found that visualization techniques like this really help, as does taking plenty of time away from the screen! I can't hardly watch television or movies produced after 1990 due to how fast the camera cuts from one thing to another--almost makes me dizzy, and afterwards can't concentrate for a long time.

Share |