Share |
Is being an alpha male healthy?

Legacy Member

09-13-2011, 04:49 AM

I ran into this article this morning and thought you guys would find it pretty interesting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sonaljournal_0

It basically looks at the health consequences of being an alpha male and always fighting to stay on top. And since it's a science article we naturally get compared to baboons!

Quote:
he latest evidence comes from wild baboons in Kenya's Amboseli basin. Researchers from Princeton and Duke universities studied 125 males in five groups over nine years and found that while the alpha males got the best food and the most mates, they experienced far more stress than the beta males just beneath them in the hierarchy, based on the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, in fecal samples.
-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 09-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Share |

Legacy Member

09-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Interesting article Joe. Healthwise, being an alpha male sure isn't doing Arnold any good. I've got a question though. What if in the the hierarchy, you are an independent; neither alpha or beta?

Greg

Share |

09-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
It basically looks at the health consequences of being an alpha male and always fighting to stay on top. And since it's a science article we naturally get compared to baboons!
I'm glad I'm created in God's image, and not a baboon's. Goodness. Being an alpha male is hard work when all you live by is animal instinct. :-)

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

09-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Both heredity and environment influence us. Even between siblings there can be great differences that show up very early in life. I think that is why it is so important to listen to our internal voice as both factors interplay at that level. There is no doubt that heredity is a huge factor in my opinion:

"Why the Reckless Survive" is a very interesting book by biogeneticist Melvin Konner, M.D., Ph.D. The following quote from that book is very powerful as to the role of our individual genetics in each of our lives:

"First we need to realize that to no small extent we are who we are when we are conceived. To deny this fact is to deny the very essence of human individuality. We seek our environments and we determine them as much as they determine us."

Share |

09-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Good Article Joe !

I met a bunch of these guys in NYC before the financial crisis, they were 100% focused on backstabbing their way to the top and the ones that did not know how to add and subtract edged out the ones who did.

Share |

Author

09-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Hey Joe,

Great to see you posting again. I, for one, enjoyed the article. Glad you posted it because it makes some great points.. But I also want to focus on what Greg stated,

"What if in the hierarchy, you are an independent; neither alpha or beta?"

Greg, that is a great point and independent action and thinking for one's self is exactly what we have advocated here from day one. It's also why YOU are here. Like you, I see no value at all in being a part of either "the pack" or "the herd" mentality. The idea of looking to someone else to provide the answers that I need to discover for myself has always been repugnant to the extreme for me. Yet, we see this exemplified and promoted to the masses everywhere we look from politicians to TV Evangelists that weak people want to believe have all their answers for them. Sadly, this is what makes it possible for a guy like Adolph Hitler to come to power. It's the alpha male surrounding himself with henchmen followers that look to him for answers and meaning. .

Yet, it hasn't always been like that in America. There was a time when individuality and non-conformity was celebrated. In fact, one thing that was uniquely American and personified in films when I was growing up was "The strong, silent type" who was responsible for himself as was portrayed by John Wayne in "The Searchers", Gary Cooper in "High Noon" and Alan Ladd in "Shane". Back in those days the hero was always portrayed as a loner that was a strong individualist that did what was right because it was right. He was like Charles Atlas who did it on his own. Back then the alpha male was always portrayed as a scumbag with henchmen to do his dirty work. Example: in the movie, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" Lee Marvin plays chief scumbag and wile e coyote alpha male 'Liberty Valance' with Strother Martin and Lee Van Cleef as his beta male, low life henchmen. They are laughable slime balls all three. John Wayne on the other hand is a complete loner calling his own shots and living by his own code of honor. This is also the of character that Clint Eastwood played in his Italian Westerns and even as Dirty Harry and most recently in Gran Torino as an independent man that thinks for himself and does whats right because its right.

At Bronze Bow we celebrate Individuality and not conformity. After all, "If you try to do things the way everyone else does them, you'll always be second rate at everything you do."

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

09-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks John for the compliment! I am not into competition other than doing better than I'VE ever done before and doing what it takes to get the job done as long as I don't undercut anyone else. I've butted head with alpha males plenty of times, but I refuse to play the game with them when I get a feel for what is going on. I'm going my way, and no one else's, unless it be the way of following Jesus Christ.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Newton; 09-13-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Share |

09-13-2011, 02:08 PM

It has been my experience that it isn't always the Alpha males that win. Some of the constant winners are not that"overdog" personality type. There are people who always seem to land on their feet ,however, as there are those who seem to always get the opposite reaction. I have watched this through the years and the only thing that I can conclude is that those who win tend to be those with a "positive mental attitude." When Napoleon picked his generals he always wanted to know "if they were lucky".

Share |

Author

09-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey Gordon,

I agree. And one of the reasons so many of the alpha's don't win is because they have losers that want their approval surrounding them.

---John Peterson

Share |

Send a message via AIM to sixmillionman Send a message via MSN to sixmillionman

09-14-2011, 07:30 AM

i agree with this.......................i have always been my own man....at 63 i am still that

Share |