Share |
Shoes and knee problems

01-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Hello John,

This is Stacy, Aaron's loving wife of nearly 25 years this coming April. He checks this forum daily and usually applies all of the advice, suggestions and ideas that many of you post to his workouts. I would say this without hesitation. He admires you and everyone else here. This is the reason that I am coming to you for some advice. He will listen to you before he will listen to me as far as workouts, health and physical fitness go.

My question is simple. Does wearing shoes (the right kind of shoes) protect your knees when you are running or doing other high impact exercises? He has been running "barefoot" on the asphalt doing his sprints. He later complains that his knees hurt. Could it be from not wearing his tennis shoes? He says he doesn't want to "wear them out" so he goes barefooted. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stacy

Share |

01-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Contrary to popular wisdom, modern day running shoes actually result in more injuries, not fewer. Barefoot running is the ideal, although most people prefer to have some protection from rocks, nails, glass, etc.

However, to run barefoot -- or in minimally supportive shoes -- one must use a different technique. I strongly suggest Aaron check out Pose running. I switched to running according to the Pose method 3 years ago, and I have had no running-related injuries since. This after 25 years of struggling with knee and hip problems despite wearing $100+ "running" shoes.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Hi Stacy,

Encourage Aaron to run on sand or dirt. Asphalt is what is killing his knees. Also, in the Powerflex course, Jim Forystek talks about running heel to toe and not slapping the ground with your feet. I've found that running on grass and earth greatly reduces the impact on your knees.

Share |

Banned

01-12-2009, 11:13 AM

I am not sure running is that great of an exercise for the knee and ankle joints, walking and the ,Steve Revees "Power Walking" (striding along at a fast walk swing your arms and long steps and breathing are the secret). I have flat feet and no arches more or less, and wear arch inserts.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Let me second the recommendation for the Steve Reeves Power Walking.

Share |

01-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Suggest "inefficient" walking as a safer alternative to running - eg while walking perform DVRs/DSRs, swing &/or carry weighted objects, make awkward strides(lunges), ...

A heartrate monitor can verify the effectiveness of "inefficient" walking

Share |