Share |
Charles Atlas Recommended 200 Push-Ups

Author

10-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Hey Friends,

A man that has read the Charles Atlas course tells me that Atlas recommended only 200 Atlas Style Push-Ups (as though I didn't know that) and wonders why I recommend more.

The truth is that if you are doing Charles Atlas's other self resistance exercises each day with relatively high to very high intensity you may not need more than 200 reps max. In fact, if you are really applying a lot of tension with the other exercises doing more than 200 may be too much for you to allow for fast recovery. For me personally I limit my Push-Ups to 300 daily. I use to do much more but I have my own way of making them more intense, so it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Document your sets and reps and note your recovery time. You will reach a point where you will know exactly how much you can do and fully recover if daily exercise is your goal as it is for me.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

10-30-2013, 04:38 AM

Hey John,

Here is the thing. Sure C/A recommended 200 a day in the course, BUT he actually did 300 a day according to interviews he did in his sixties and seventies. 300 pushups seem a lot, but they aren't really. If you knock out 100 as Atlas III, 100 as Atlas II and 100 as Atlas I; you have a pretty comprehensive chest program and it doesn't take that long once you build up to it.

But, LOL, you know that already and have been sharing that for years on this forum.

Greg

Share |

Author

10-30-2013, 08:07 AM

Hey Greg,

You make a great point. I do believe however that 200 Atlas Push-Ups may be a perfect number for someone that intensely applies the other self resistance exercises that are part of the Atlas training system. In fact, I am amazed at how incredibly intense those exercises can be when one applies themselves with great diligence.

I think the biggest problem that most people have when performing free hand self resistance or isometrics is the fact that they do not feel they have an objective way to measure what they are doing.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

10-30-2013, 01:19 PM

I am curious. I am assuming the goals of following the Charles Atlas course were improvements in health, strength, and physique. Do you know what Mr. Atlas recommended to his students who got to the point where they were able to do 200 push-ups and the other exercises, but still wanted more size or strength (I am assuming health would be there if a good diet and lifestyle were followed)? It seems some type of progression (more reps or stronger contractions) would be needed to keep improving.

Thanks

Share |

10-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Were all different and we need to train for self improvement not train to the next mans abilities. Charles Atlas made a life of fitness and well being in a time when the average man, and woman for that matter, conducted very physically laborious labor daily....there was no 9-5. By this time he was most likely so focused so in control of hos nerve force...not to mention so fit that he could do 200 push ups a day along with his other training and remain extremely fit. We must remember, we can change the intensity of our training by adding reps to sets and condensing the rest periods between sets. We really should train for self improvement and take recommendations as just that, recommendations.

Share |