Share |
The All Meat Diet, Is It Safe?

Author

01-20-2020, 02:50 PM

Hello My Friends,

I was sent a link by a man that is on the "Carnivore Diet".

The man that sent me the link below did so because he believes that I go out of my way to be open and fair about everything that we address on our forum. I appreciate that.

The link below makes reference to toxic substances in certain grains of various types that 'give off' various toxins as a means of self-protection. Naturally, I have been aware of this for many years and it is something that those who embrace a completely vegan food regimen don't like to discuss or consider.

At any rate, you should ALL be aware that there are many sides to an issue and the truth is that there truly are natural toxins in grains that can be very toxic. At the very least they can cause an unsightly belly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6163171/

For those that are unfamiliar with the topic of toxic grains, several years ago a book titled "Wheat Belly" was published that dealt with many of these same issues. Please read the link above and we can discuss anything you would like to discuss.

While you're at it this is one worth checking out: https://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-L.../dp/1609614798

The general theme of the book "Wheat Belly" is that Dr. Atkins was correct.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-21-2020, 12:07 PM

Hi John, I think the most overlooked plant toxin is Oxalates. Most people are not aware that many of the vegetables, nuts and seeds that are promoted as extremely healthful, and necessary are extremely high in Oxalic acid. For example, there is a trend towards making green smoothies with spinach. One green smoothie is so high in oxalates, you could literally die, from drinking several of them, depending on how your particular metabolic detoxification pathways are functioning.

Here is a good video that explains what Oxalates are and some of the many damaging effects on the human body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ArmIYGH0s

Oxalates accumulate, and even when you lower your oxalate consumption, you can get a lot of symptoms and damage to the body, as it starts to detoxify them. In fact, I believe that many of the negative experiences with low carb, paleo, and Atkins style diets are the large emphasis on eating the toxic high oxalate greens such as spinach, or the detoxification of those toxic crystals when those plants are eliminated. In fact, many times the symptoms of the deposit of these oxalate crystals in the body are mistaken for gout.

Share |

01-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Very interesting. Any updates on when the book will be out?

Share |

Author

01-22-2020, 07:27 PM

Hello Free,

That is a great and informative video clip. I hope everyone avails themselves of the opportunity to view it.

It's sobering, to say the least. In the past, I have read about the oxalate problem but it never really seemed that much of a problem. Somehow seeing this video presentation makes the issue far more real. I wonder, I know quite a few people that are strict vegans and I wonder how they would respond to seeing the video clip. I have no doubt that the vast majority of them are unaware that these plant toxins exist.

BUT back to the issue relating to the consumption of meat, animal, and dairy products. The controversy certainly is not new and the importance of consuming animal fat has been known for centuries, nonetheless thanks to the nutritional advice of the last 40 years, this has been largely forgotten.

I have mentioned many times before that during the 1920s and 1930s, an American dentist and nutritional pioneer travelled the world with his wife to study the health and nutrition habits of isolated and primitive cultures – his name was Weston A. Price. His work was presented in the book – Nutrition and Physical Degeneration published in 1939.

Using photos and laboratory tests, Dr Price documented the facial and dental degeneration of people consuming the modern foods (sugar, white flour, and vegetable oils) of the so-called civilized world, compared with the protection from degeneration enjoyed by the peoples of primitive cultures – those consuming traditional mineral and vitamin-rich foods such as butter, cheese, milk, fatty meat, fish, shellfish, and eggs.

Dr Price was particularly taken by the isolated villages of the Swiss Mountain peoples, where the local people consumed the milk, butter, and cheese produced by their cattle. In his book he wrote:

“By far the most efficient plant food that I have found for producing the high-vitamin content in milk is rapidly growing young wheat and ryegrass. Oat and barley grass are also excellent. In my clinical work, small additions of this high-vitamin butter (from cows feeding on growing grass) to otherwise satisfactory diets regularly check tooth decay when active and at the same time improves vitality and general health.”

Even today, dairy products are an incredibly efficient and low-cost method of supplying high-quality nutrition to a population. I think it is interesting to note that in some reports on the current crisis in Venezuela, many of the malnourished school children are asking for milk or some cheese, not candy or fast food. Unfortunately and regrettably, the impact of insufficient nutrition during a child’s formative years will stay with them their entire lives.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-22-2020, 07:43 PM

John, I am one who has had a lot of problems from oxalates, and it is not an easy thing to resolve. Some people handle it a lot better than others, perhaps due to different microbiomes that contain some of the bacteria that break down oxalates and some that have more robust detox pathways. I also think there are many people who are being treated for a variety of diseases that could have been caused by oxalates, or at least agravated by them, and they don't even know it.

I have had periods in my life, some quite long where I was vegan, and I certainly wish I could go back and avoid what I put my body through. However we all learn from our trials and tribulations in life, so I am who I am because of what I have gone through.

That is a good quote by Weston Price, and he surely had much to contribute to our knowledge of nutrition. I am currently using Goat milk in my diet to help heal and sustain myself, as well as other animal products, mostly Bison, Chicken and Eggs. I keep the vegetables and grains to a minimum, and am very selective when I do use them to avoid oxalates and soak my grains to break down the other anti nutrients.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-23-2020, 06:09 PM

Hi Free,

I from time to time use Raw Goat Milk and Raw Cow Milk. Why do you favor Goat Milk?

Thanks!

Share |

Author

01-23-2020, 07:28 PM

Hello Free,

There have been many excellent books written over the years but I personally regard Dr. Weston A. Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" written in 1939, as among the best ever written. Dr. Price and his wife were able to travel to vast areas of the world that had not yet been reached by modern civilization or technologies that corrupted the food supplies. By and large, the people living in isolated villages maintained the same nutritional patterns as those of their ancestors going back hundreds of years.

As stated earlier, he was especially taken by the people living high up in the Swiss Alps that had perfect teeth, beautiful facial features, and exceptional bone structure. He noted that one village, in particular, was the home from which the vast majority of the Swiss Guard at the Vatican had originated and that these men were all perfect specimens. He noted that these people lived on an extremely high fat-high protein diet and were strong and robust to advanced ages. He also noted that the very limited amount of fruit they consumed was usually during the short summer months and that the vegetables consumed were grown during short growing seasons on soil that was highly mineralized. He also stated that goats milk, as well as cows milk, was widely available and that the milk, cream, and cheeses that were made from it were extremely high in fat-soluble vitamins and minerals,.so much so that he used it as a health tonic.

I am especially glad that Dr. Price took it upon himself to do his worldwide travels at a time that permitted him to document through photography what truly exceptional natural facial and dental structure looked like and how even then there was an obvious and extreme difference between the features of people whose bone structures had been raised on their natural ancestral diets and those that had been compromised as a result of eating diets high in white sugar and white flour. Through Dr. Price's work we can understand the debilitating effects of poor nutrition.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Hi all

Good thread - always an interesting topid. Since I am vegan this is something I looked into a couple of years ago. If it's okay with John I would like to link a couple of youtube videos which go into this topic.

The first one is from Cory McCarthy's channel. i have spoken to him on numerous occasions and value his scientific approach to nutrition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5IV-T9guqc

Another video is from nutritionalfacts.org - which is run by Michael Greger, who is a doctor and dedicates his life to going through every paper and study thats ever been published. Anyway this is his take on things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9O-ehynVI

Personally I'm not worried about it.

Hope the above videos are of interest.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Author

01-24-2020, 05:19 PM

Hello Kenpopaul,

Thank You!!! Both of the clips were very well done and straight to the point.

This is exactly the kind of helpful interaction that I was looking for in asking members to use discretion in posting links that could be helpful to everyone.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyway View Post
Hi Free,

I from time to time use Raw Goat Milk and Raw Cow Milk. Why do you favor Goat Milk?

Thanks!

Keway, the reason I lean towards Goat milk is because it is an A2 ruminant animal. I believe that the A1 species is not as compatible with our physiology, but is the main dairy cow of the United States. A2 dairy is much more available in european countries. Also Goat milk is higher in some other nutrients than cow milk, I think Potassium is one, and I find it easier to digest.

Share |