Share |
Can Decompression Exercises Make You Taller?

Author

06-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Hey Friends,

I received an e-mail today from a man asking me if my decompression exercise can make a person taller. I told him that while I have no proof that it can make a person taller, the one thing I can say with certainty is that it will not make a man shorter. Seriously, any form of decompression exercise practiced long term will have positive benefits associated with it and prevent height loss due to compression provided that he is not extremely overweight which in itself causes a great deal of compression.

On the other hand, if one practices heavy exercises that cause a great deal of compression such as very heavy squats or dead lifts that literally compress and destroy the lower spinal discs then a loss of height is virtually guaranteed if practiced long term. Especially if such a man has also been intentionally gaining weight for the purpose of Power lifting. There is simply no way around it and it is virtually guaranteed to happen. So the bottom line is this. Decompression exercises will not shorten you and may actually keep you at your maximum height longer. BUT very compressive heavy weight training will shorten a persons height. There is no way around it.

---John Peterson

Share |

06-01-2009, 05:13 PM

John,

Can you give some examples of these types of exercises you recommend?

Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

06-01-2009, 11:37 PM

After 3-4 years of heavy weight training I actually lost an inch in height. Now, after doing 30 second 'hangs' 2-3 times a day for the past year I've actually gained back the height I lost plus I have better posture now and less back ache's.

Try hanging off a chin bar every morning & evening for 30 seconds (or more). It takes a few weeks to build up to it if you're not used to it but it feels wonderful. Especially after a hard day at work!!

Kenpopaul

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2009, 04:44 AM

Hanging, chins, or hanging leg raises are excellent. Hyperextensions off a bench are also good. Tiger Stretch Pushups will elongate the spine as a whole. Atlas Situps and the Range Atlas Leg Raises will do wonders to decompress the lower spine if done right . Remember, we are already fighting the effects of gravity on our bodies. If done properly, these exercises can give length to the spine and decompress the vertebrae. Will they make us taller? Perhaps a half inch to an inch, but the main thing is, it keeps us from losing vital energy and flexibility from spinal compression and deterioration.

Share |

06-02-2009, 05:12 AM

I lost about an inch between 25 and 36 years of age. I started transformetrics and decompression exercises like upright hangs and inverted hangs (with gravity boots) and have regained about 1/2 an inch. I think there is some permanent slouch from bad posture that I am still working to regain.

The strength I have gained through Transformetrics has me walking more upright and maintaining my posture better. The back exercises like bridging and isos I think really help with that. I also think there is some permanent disc compression that I might not ever gain back, but nonetheless, it sure feels good to be stretched out on a regular basis.

All the best,
Jake

Last edited by illuvitar; 06-02-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Share |

06-02-2009, 05:34 AM

After performing exercises that compress the spine like isometric squats using a Power Belt, it's a good idea to decompress with some Highbar hangs.

Share |

06-02-2009, 05:52 AM

You will regain a lot of your height if you measure yourself as early in the day as possible.

Tom

Share |

Author

06-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Hey Friends,

These are some wonderful responses. While I do not think that we can realistically expect to gain in height beyond our God determined genetic profile, I do believe that decompression exercises offer other incredible benefits in terms of helping us to maintain a youthful spine while maximizing our natural height.

One thing for certain is that a flexible, youthful spine is going to ensure that we maximize our nerve force for life. It's truly a wonderful feeling to wake up pain free and to be to move pain free. My thanks to each of you

---John Peterson

Share |

06-02-2009, 08:00 AM

A makeshift slantboard provides an accessibble way for all fitness levels to decompress . While inverting, sneak in a meditation session with a deep breathing focus

Share |

Author

06-02-2009, 09:21 AM

One excellent spinal decompression exercise I discovered is to reach down and touch your toes, with knees locked, and after going as far down as possible, do a VRT "deadlift" on the way back up, with lower back muscles flexing, back up to a standing position. I experienced sciatica at one point a few years ago, and by this method completely cured it. Here you have extreme stretching, then visualized resistance exercise of lower back muscles plus the gluteus maximus. I never have back pain anymore, no matter how much bending I do when doing yardwork, working on my car, or moving furniture or appliances throughout my house.

--Greg Mangan

Share |