Share |
What's everyone's nutrition like?

Banned

12-08-2008, 05:20 PM

What's everyone’s nutrition like?

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone’s nutrition is like. I see a lot of different theories on nutrition all the time, especially relating to muscle building, fat loss and so on. Some of the information varies from that which is in John's book. People seem to be successful with varying types of nutrition as well.

Matt Furey recommends big eating for muscle gain, where as others refer to eating a specific amount to only add lean muscle. Now Matt is a big guy, and one whom I admire, so I do value his information. He's got a large amount of muscle mass and obviously big eating got him there.

I've read other reports about eating big and people say it just puts too much strain on the body’s organs.

I'm wondering what everyone's theories are. If you've got your own theory, or plan, please post it. If it's specific to something like muscle gain or fat loss, please provide that information.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Share |

Legacy Member

12-09-2008, 09:15 AM

I eat what some people call the caveman way as much as possible. Fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, berry and meats. I try to avoid any kind of processed foods like breads and crackers. I don't stay super strict on that, I usually eat a sandwich once a week or so and have a bowl of chicken noodle soup now and then. But for the most part I avoid any kind of processed foods. I've also knocked desert out of my diet for the most part, I only eat cookies and such whenever I go to a party r something like that.

After the Christmas season I'm going to try to tighten up on my diet and completely eliminate all processed foods, at least for awhile and see what happens.

I manage my weight loss through pretty much pure calorie counting. And my macro-nutrient intake is moderate carb, high protein.

-Joe

Share |

12-09-2008, 09:46 AM

I am in line with Joe. I eat the caveman (or paleo) diet. Fresh raw fruits, veggies, soaked or sprouted nuts and seeds, lightly steamed veggies, naturally raised meat, wild game meats like bison, caribou and venison, wild fish, and raw eggs. I eat meat only once or twice every couple of weeks but never the commercially raised factory farmed junk. I stay away from all processed grain products. I make my own bread from sprouted grains like wheat, rye, and buckwheat and dehydrate it for 24 hours at about 110 deg. F.

I also have one or two green smoothies every day. A great way of getting lots of greens into your diet. The fruit masks any bitter taste of the greens. Blending the greens in a powerful blender like a Vitamix (2hp) or Blendtec (3hp) breaks down the cell walls of the greens much better than chewing making the nutrients much more bio-available. A typical Green Smoothie recipe might look like this...
-2 bananas
-1 raw egg
-1/2 cup of parsley
-several leaves of kale/chard/romaine, etc.
-a few ice cubes
-1 to 2 cups of water

I try to mix up the type of greens and fruits I use on a weekly basis. It is fun to come up with different combinations. I will also ocassionally just make a fruit smoothie without the greens for a sweet treat.

Cheers,
Jeff

Share |

12-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Combination of:

Nos - where everyone should start.
Intermittent fasting (Fast5, etc.) - Google IF
Caveman
Ice cream

Tom

Share |

12-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Sardines, eggs,apples,nuts, & raw veggies

Share |

12-09-2008, 01:55 PM

The honest answer is that my nutrition has not been good. I've been on a couple of medications for many years that tend to cause one to crave carbohydrates. I gained most of my extra weight on ice cream...and the humongous amount of grapes that I posted about on another thread yesterday.

Since I came to Costa Rica more than 10 months ago, I've been eat a LOT more healthily. In the U.S., I was eating very little except fast food and cereal. But even in Costa Rica I've still been falling way short of that which will help me. Fresh vegetables and fruits (too many bananas...which also have carbohydrates that I crave. But also too much One serving of chicken, fish, or beef each day. White rice (pretty empty calories) that my landlord cooks each day with beans.

I've also been eating too much cereal (carbohydrates), but I have been eating it with non-fat, 90% lactose-free milk. It comes in a powder that is mixed with water. It's intended for nursing mothers. Being male, the odds are strong that I won't need it for it's more popular purpose.

Overall, someone could probably eat nutritiously by looking at how I've been eating...and doing something VERY different.

Today I started writing down every food that I eat, as well as the portions and portion sizes. I'm entering the info into a user-friendly, free software program and am able to track my calories, proteins, fats, carbs, and other nutritional items through that.

I think that writing down everything I eat will...in itself...help me eat more healthily.

- Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

12-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Hi Mark,

I start the day with a fruit blend, yoghurt and honey. Lunch time is soup and raw veggies, in the evening the standard dinner. In between I snack on nuts and try to dring a lot of water.

Jan

Share |

12-09-2008, 09:19 PM

I am of the opinion that "bland is better" - both for health and fitness.
Breakfast is usually 1 - 2 eggs scrambled with a slice of whole wheat toast. Occasionally I switch that for a bowl of oatmeal.
Lunch is a sandwich on whole wheat (chicken, turkey or a personal favorite - PBJ)
Dinner is typically caribbean style - (my wife is a beautiful Latina that cooks great) - rice & beans with fish, chicken, steak or pork (yes pork)
My main drink is water (bottled) but I do enjoy coffee or green tea.
I've really cut down on soda big time.

Nothing exciting. To me it's just about emotional as putting gas in my car...it's just fuel!

Jack

(Every now an then my Irish side calls for a but I tend to keep it 'light')

Share |

12-10-2008, 09:01 AM

My latest food experiment: souping up soup with protein powder

Share |

12-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Now that sounds gawdawful.

Tom

Share |