Share |
Is the soybean damaging your manhood?

06-08-2009, 08:11 AM

As with my beloveded caffeine, it's probably all about dose. However, unlike caffeine you have no relatively easy way to determine your soy "sweet spot"

Share |

Author

06-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Hey Guys,

This is a fascinating thread to read. Years and years ago when I was in my teens, Bodybuilders were consuming Bob Hoffman's Soybean based protein supplements in huge amounts. Naturally, since there was no internet in those days, nobody had ever heard of negative side effects as related to soy (if there were any). In fact, there was rarely talk of hormones at all when muscle building or exercise was discussed. I think this was due to the fact that since steroids and hormone manipulation were introduced into bodybuilding in the late 1950's( a decade earlier in weight lifting) that there was an overt attempt to keep the truth under wraps. Hence the constant admonishments to eat more protein to build muscle.In essence the magazines all stated that muscles were the result of barbells and excessive amounts of protein. Truth to tell, I have read a great deal of information both pro and con about soy over the years. Enough to say that I don't regard soy as a good source of protein for men. Though I doubt that a moderate consumption of soy will hurt anyone.

One thing I do know for sure though is that there is a strong correlation between a very high consumption of red meat and prostate cancer. So much so that it is virtually irrefutable. My take is that we are all much better off if we allow ourselves a wide range of nutrients from food sources that are as close to their natural state as possible and organically grown whenever possible. I also think that food supplementation is an absolute necessity in this day and age due to the depletion of minerals in the American soil. This is why my partners in NutriPrima and I are sourcing our products from the best and most reliable sources on the planet.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 06-08-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Share |

06-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
hemp gives your body everything soy does and more; it is a complete, balanced food. And is NOT processed(altered).
Eze, how/where is it sold/taken, other than than street variety and clothing?

Tom

Share |

06-08-2009, 12:23 PM

The book, Anticancer, mentions avoiding soy supplements but advocates food sources of soy

Share |

06-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post

It really seems like the media is equating soy with good health and that appear to be very dangerous for men. I've always thought there was some kind of animal rights agenda behind that, I don't mean to get all political and you vegans out there will probably get all angry with but, but that's just how I feel.

-Joe
I am a vegan Joe, and I agree. Soy is a food industry flim flam. It is high in fat, devoid of fiber, and has estrogen mimetic properties. Oh and there is some protein in there as well. Soy has to be either fermented or cooked to even be digestable to humans. Not a healthfood. (IMHO)

John- I wonder if red meat would still have a correlation to prostate cancer 100 years ago, or if that has changed recently with the addition of hormones to cows. I think we can all agree here that direct artificial hormone supplimentation is bad for people. There may be some question as to how harmful indirect hormone supplimentation can be. That is, supplimented by way of my food chain rather than banging testosterone directly into my chest. **shivers**

Last edited by ShrinkingGuy; 06-08-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Some of the guys at work, go home, fire up the Barbie, grill a thick steak and open a bottle of beer, that's almost a daily routine for them.
This is something vegetarian types do that drives me nuts!

Take the example of someone who eats very, very poorly and is therefore in bad shape and blame it all on the meat. Come on, they just get home and eat a steak with a beer? How about that half a loaf of garlic bread and steak fries to go with it? Ohhh, we don't like to mention those because they're veggie based and vegetarian types will never admit that any vegetable has a down side.

I believe 100% in the idea that humans are true omnivores. Our diet reacts best to an array of food and the problem with soy is that since it's one of the few complete plant based proteins out there, people overload on it. I mean just look at the way many vegans eat and you can tell something is wrong; they use supplements, combins beans and grains or some other kind of food voodoo to get all of the vitamins, minerals and protein they need. If a vegan diet isn't closely monitored they have all kinds of health problems. Don't you think that's a clue that something's wrong with the diet in and of itself?

Now if you're doing it for religious purposes then more power to you. And if you just enjoy that lifestyle, more power to you too. But don't try to convince me vegan is healthier, because most people eat meat and eat poorly so therefore eating meat is the problem.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Well? Why not just eat beef?

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Joe,

Moderately processed soy, in moderation is not bad. Lyle McDonald and even some of the folks at T-Nation have taken this position. It can even be argued that since soy weakly mimics estrogen it blocks the estrogen receptors which helps keep the estrogen amount in the body down.

There is nothing hard about consuming a vegan diet. The whole complete protein thing is no worry, there is no need to combine foods at each meal, and the only supplement we need is B-12. I will admit that some of the questions on the Voodoo part of the vegan card test were pretty hard, otherwise, the diet is a joy.

God bless,

Veg

Share |

06-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Enough intellectualizing, tet the dietary experiments of ONE continue .Anyone for some yummy sardine stew?

Share |

Banned

06-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Although im a meat eater, I know its not necessary to survive, plenty of big strong healthy vegetarians and vegans out there.. Check out Mike Mahler...

Share |