Share |
Is the soybean damaging your manhood?

06-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntbrain View Post
Anyone for some yummy sardine stew?
Mmmm. Yummy indeed! I have sardines just about every day--right out of the can. A real superfood. (At least I hope so.)

Share |

06-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Shopping at Whole Foods( run by the hippie mafia) is an assault on one's financial manhood. Buy your sardines at a Dollar Store( 3 5.5oz cans for a buck)

Share |

06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

I do pretty good at vegan Joe, but I hear you. I will never try to talk anyone into vegan.
I view it as an extreme diet.
Having said that, I do make some great food.
Last night I had black bean and avacado tacos flavored with cumin, cillantro, salsa and lime juice. I baked corn tortillas for my own crunch shells.
Tonight is roasted vegetables and polenta.
Tomorrow is stuffed peppers.
Then on to chili and cornbread...

The only problem for a vegan that eats well is B12. Before fire (or in the garden, however you like it told) we ate some bugs with our roots, leaves and berries. Chimpanzes have more carnivore traits than humans (look at those teeth!) but they eat about 5% animal product. Other than some extreme humans like me, however, there are NO natural vegan primates either living, or suspected to have lived in the past.

There isn't a more complete protien on the planet though than greens. Cows got every last bit of their protien from eating greens. That's also where the calcium in that milk came from. Most people (even vegans) can't take in the ammount of greens I enjoy every day. So meat is much more efficient for most folks.

Share |

06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Hippie mafia. That's a good one.

In my anecdotal personal perceived experience of one, Berkeley is the rudest town, traffic-wise. I call them angry Volvos. And just to be judgmental and to stereotype, they have some form of peace sticker on them. I have gotten honked at and yelled at more there than any other one particular town. I have been to Berkeley a lot in the last half century. I have friends there and I like the town in general. But on the street, there seems to be an inordinate percentage of people who need to be bopped in the nose. And I am not a violent person.

I think that once a person has the answers for universal peace, justice, nuclear-freeness, equality, and self-actualization, it comes with a huge dose of self-entitlement, self-righteousness. That such an attitude is the same attitude that starts wars seems to have slipped by them.

Yeah, hippie mafia in angry volvos.

Now, what were we talking about again?

Tom

Share |

06-09-2009, 02:47 PM

tom
John Denver's Berkeley Woman would probably give ya a few chuckles; it's un-Denver like

Share |

Banned

06-09-2009, 03:16 PM

people tend to look at the type of food when they talk about healthy eating. it's all food industry marketing. what people should do is look at the nutrients they need. that will decide what food to eat. some elements our body can make. some our body can't. the food we eat should cover the essential nutrients our body can't make. this way we get what we need to function well.

of course direct source of nutrients is always best. people who eat meat really are eating indirectly of plant food because animals eat plants and it get transfered to us by us eating them. of course nowadays animals are feed junk and hormones shot so that's why nowadays they aren 't good for us.

everything in moderation is best. even if it's junk as long as it's not too much. our body will get rid of the toxins anyways in due time unless you put more toxins/junk into your system faster than it can get rid of..

it's really not about a battle between vegan or meat eaters or whatever marketing propaganda that exist. school should really teach about eating base on nutrients not eating base on category food eating style.

I also hear about soy being processed in the same facility as meat being processed so that may be why more hormones are in them.

Last edited by sillypup; 06-09-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Share |

06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

I posted this in the wrong thread about an hour ago but let's not talk about it. Anyway, here it is:

Thanks, Grunt, brought back memories. You're right, it's more John Prinish. I remember the "swaying" phrase that interested me in particular back in my younger days when it was more of a rarity.

For those who want to hear a nice version of it, here is one song by a Greg Holland, who does a good job. And no offense to Greg Holland, a fine-looking man, but he looks kind of like a Berkeley woman. That's a Berkeley woman commentary, not a Greg Holland one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMdKHZn1QUY

Tom

Share |

06-09-2009, 04:31 PM

And back to topic, I love tofu fresh from the tofu shop. I don't get there often so I don't eat that much.

I haven't seen any excess estrogen problems in Japan. Sumo wrestlers eat a lot of tofu, along with everything else.

My jury is still out on the whole thing. My initial reaction is that moderate, traditional intake is not bad. I enjoy a very little bit of soymilk with a snack of cereal. It is not often nor very much - I've even had soymilk go bad in my refrigerator because I used it so infrequently. I can no longer drink much milk, unless it is in breves, lattes, mochas, yogurt, or ice cream.

I'll practice moderation until you guys can tell me the answer.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

06-09-2009, 06:57 PM

you can get Hemp Protein Powder at most Health Food stores. It is also available on line. Amazon.com was selling some for a pretty good price (for Hemp)

Share |

06-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Tom, I eat it in moderation myself. I have a couple of recipes that require tofu.
I make a mean tofu po-boy. MMMMMmmmmmm
I also make a heuvos rancheros that reqires that silken tofu to make passable scrambled "eggs".

So I won't try to talk you out of it any more than I will try to talk anyone out of beer. Another non-health food I enjoy from time to time. ;)

Share |