Share |
An alternative to GTG

10-23-2008, 11:46 AM

I've never had a ton of success with GTG, primarily because it's hard for me to find the time to throw down and do sets multiple times per day.

I've recently tried something that seems to provide some of the benefits of GTG, in that you perform multiple submaximal sets. The primary difference is rather than spread it out over the course of the day, you do them in a pre-determinned time frame.

I call them, for lack of a better term, Condensed GTG Cycles, and they go like this. You choose 4 exercises which work the whole body (for instance, Atlas pushups, chins, Atlas squats and Atlas sit ups) and a time frame (say 20 minutes) and set out to do as many cycles of all 4 exercises in that time frame as possible.

I admit, I've only done this once, but it worked pretty well. I performed 50% of max reps for the exercises and was able to perform 7 cycles in 20 minutes. This allowed me to do more reps than I would have been able to do had I been going upt to failure.

Let's use Atlas push ups as an example. Let's say, to make the math easy, a person can do 20 reps of APUs before bumping up against failure. If someone were doing 3 sets, it might look something like set 1, 20 reps, set 2, 17 reps, set 3 14 reps for a total of 51 reps.

If someone were doing GTG at 75% of max, they'd do about 8 sets of 15reps over the course of the day for a total of 140 reps.

If they did cycles as I outlined, and pefformed say 9 sets of the 4 exercises in 30 minutes at 50% of max, they'd perform 90 APUs. PLUS, they'd have gotten a full-body workout from the other 3 exercises PLUS they'd have gained some aeobic and anarobic elements from little rest between exercises and cycles.

So the 90 reps is considerably more than they would have done just doing straight sets to near failure, but, admittadly, considerably less than they would have done doing GTG, IF they were able to srick with the GTG prorcol for all 8 sets at 75%.

Share |

10-23-2008, 01:14 PM

I think I do the same variation that you are referring to. Lets say my Max is 30 reps, so I normally do sets of 15. Because I am doing 50% of my max I end doing 15 sets of 15 reps which might take around 30 minutes.

Share |

Banned

10-23-2008, 01:58 PM

I like to set my countdown timer on my stopwatch for ten minutes or more and do sets at the top of each minute. This allows me to do 200-300 push ups in a relatively short time. The last couple of sets are much tougher, but it is a great workout when pressed for time.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

10-24-2008, 06:10 AM

You are right George. But I have only done this once. I haven't tried it again since the first time I tried it but I have been thinking about trying something similar with the Power Ts. One more thing like you said it is very important to pace your self or you will burn out way to fast. All the best.

--Nathan--

Share |

10-24-2008, 06:50 AM

Nathan;

How did you feel in the days following your 1200?

Jack

Share |

Legacy Member

10-24-2008, 06:59 AM

budgiefan, what you describe there is virtually identical to Charles Staley's EDT ("Escalating Density Training").

You basically try to perform as many reps as possible of one or more exercises (circuit fashion) within a given time frame, and you choose your rep and set numbers as needed to minimize fatigue. This means you will usually stop short of failure, because otherwise the subsequent rest period becomes very long, or your performance declines. The aim is becoming able to perform more reps within the same timespan, increasing training density (hence the name).

The idea is quite intuitive and can be applied to power calisthenics very well. For the last couple of weeks I have been experimenting with EDT workouts, trying to come up with BW circuits of exercises whose difficulty level is about the same for me, so that the total reps I can perform in each exercise are similar.

Share |