Share |
Eating habits slow down

Legacy Member

10-22-2008, 07:11 PM

WASHINGTON People who gobble down their food and eat until they feel full are three times more likely to become overweight compared with people who eat slowly and modestly, according to a Japanese study.
Researchers suggest shifting patterns of behavior, driven by the advent of fast food and cheap food, are widely to blame for the obesity pandemic.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,442883,00.html

GB

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 02:39 AM

According to some authors, and not necessarily recent ones(eg Wallace Wattles), you should shew your food until it is liquid in your mouth. It makes it easier for your stomach to further digest the food. Actually, digestion already starts in the mouth, where especially hydrocarbons are already broken down by the more alkaline saliva.

Jan

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 03:27 AM

I don't buy this theory. I have always been a super fast eater. I have tried so many times to slow down but find it impossibly hard to do ;)

I also know many people who eat superfast and all of them are the thinnest people I know, thay always have been and all eat lots of food and very fast.

On the other hand, the people I know who are overweight all eat 'normally'.

Just what I've seen though, I'm sure over thousands of people the evidence shows otherwise.

I wish I could eat slower though but I'm like a rabid animal at the dinner table haha

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 05:19 AM

I remember reading "You on a Diet" and now I can't remember who the authors were, I think it was two medical doctors. In any case they had several good descriptions and explanations about he process that goes on in your body when you eat and how your brain registers full.

I'll see if I can find the book, but I do remember them explaining the exact body parts that signal to the brain when the stomach is full. If your eating too fast then your brain is not going to recieve the signal that your stomach is full until you have eaten too much.

I think portion control is really the important thing here. If you put just enough on your plate that you should eat it doesn't really matter how fast you eat it, however if you load your plate up with way more food that you should be eating then the chances of you eating the whole plate go way up if your eating really fast.

-J

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

10-23-2008, 07:00 AM

Hey Gary,

You are right. I have found that when I eat slowly I feel like I fill up better and feel better. On the other had I feel like when I eat fast not only do I have to eat a bit more to feel full but usually have a little bit of a stomach ache afterwards. Anyway great post my friend and All the best.

--Nathan--

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 11:36 AM

My own experience tells me that if I eat slower I will also fill up with less food. If I just wolf it down, I need to keep eating longer. One of the tricks I employ is to wait a few min. between servings. That way the food can settle a bit. I've found that almost half the time I don't really want any more food if I just wait a bit.

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |