Share |
A tale of two athletes and Tarzan.

Banned

11-22-2010, 01:02 PM

David Campese ,one of the great Rugby players from the 80s and 90s " At the peak of my game I would do 500 push ups and sit ups every night"

David Hemery,winner of the gold medal in the 400m hurdles at the 1968 Olympics( in aworld record time of 48.12) writing in his autobiography " my coach felt that push ups and sit ups were good conditioners.After a few days i settled into a routine of 50 push ups and situps followed by a half mile interval.By the end of 6 weeks I was doing 550 push ups and sit ups and 6 miles each day"

Edgar Rice Boroughs " he ( Tarzan) was more like Apollo than Hercules; his power lies in the quality not the quantity of his muscles...when he moved he was like a leopard ,like water falling"

Share |

11-22-2010, 02:38 PM

HI GKC

I remember years ago i read a library book by the Scottish sprinter Alan Wells, and his workout in the book were sets of pushups, crunches and squats (bodyweight), plus he used a speed bal for hand speed.

'An advanced form of circuit training is where the athlete works through a programme of just a few exercises without pausing for recovery between repetitions or sets. A typical example is four to six sets of ten press-ups, ten sit-ups, and ten half-squats all done non-stop over a period of several minutes.

This type of session was extensively used by sprinter Alan Wells before he won the 100 metres gold medal in the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow. '

The thing i noticed with Allan Wells was how ripped his arms were and he had quite a fair set of arms.

So it goes to show you do not need weights or other equipment to achieve a great looking body, natural not bulky (bodybuilding drugs look).

This is the way to go.

All the best.

KEITH JAMES.

Share |

Banned

11-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Allan Wells ...you are right! In fact I saw a film of him preparing for the Olympics and it was called No easy way.It was phenomenal.....one session was reported as the following

2push ups, 2squats, 2sit ups

Then 4 of each, then 6 etc all the way up to 30 and then back down in 2s to 2 again. Add it up ,it is about 400 of each.

In fact I may try it soon.....!

Share |

11-23-2010, 08:30 AM

Hi GKC

That way of training sounds hard as well as rewarding.

I may try it sometime.

Now everybody is looking for an easy way out.

All the best.

KEITH JAMES.

Share |