Share |
John, will cardio be featured in your new book?

Author

10-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Hey Friends,

The same man that asked about how many Atlas variations i will feature in ULTIMATE PUSH-UPS FOR THE AWESOME PHYSIQUE asked this question about cardio. Here's my answer.

A great deal of research in recent years has demonstrated that traditional cardio that emphasizes long duration at lower intensity(usually running based) often has the exact opposite of the effect one desires which is fat loss and heart health. This is due to the fact that excessive cardio causes and accelerates muscle loss. In addition it elevates the hormone 'cortisol' (among others)which causes people to store fat on thighs,hips, lower back, and abdomen. it doesn't even protect the heart to the extent that was once believed.

So what is the best form of Cardio? Intervals. Brief and intense that get the heart pumping and lungs breathing very deeply. Example: Warrior Power T Push-Ups. In short, every man that has ever performed sets of ten or more push-ups on the Warrior Power T's knows the validity of what I am saying.about 'Intervals'. To a man they have seen and felt the difference as they build lithe, perfectly sculpted muscle and shed body fat, while building incredible lung power. At first many men are stuck at a few reps due to the cardio-vascular system being re-engineered along with the muscles to provide enough oxygen to the muscles that are working incredibly hard. But once the adjustment is made they are off to the races.

Naturally, other Push-Up variations (read Atlas here) performed at the right speed and intensity will also have the same effect as 'Interval running] on the heart but even more so because of the way the arms and lungs work together and work heart function much more intensely and directly than using legs as in sprinting. But this doesn't mean one should give up sprinting. It's just a verification that extremely effective cardio is built right into the 'Push-Up' exercise when performed correctly.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

10-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Hey John,

That is very interesting my friend. I would have thought that running would be pretty good for your heart (I don't really run a lot but when I do I will just do one) .

Also I never would have thought that push-ups would have a similar effect on the body as sprinting (very neat!). Thank you for sharing this now I know that I have been doing some sort of cardio everyday (even though I didn't know it).

Anyway great post my friend and All the best.

--Nathan--

Last edited by Nathan; 10-23-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Because I need to try proof reading every now and then!!

Share |

Banned

10-23-2008, 02:05 PM

I have read the same thing in another book just recently about running deterring weight loss in the long run, due to the body essentially consuming the muscle tissue as fuel for longer runs. The result being less muscle that can burn body fat even when you are not working out. Makes sense. Personally I love to go on a good run on a nice day in the fall.

Share |

10-23-2008, 02:06 PM

IIt's been suggested there are many roads to Cardio Rome. Adding muscle infused activity to traditional steady state cardio is a wise option - eg perform pushup &/or pullup intervals during your walks

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 05:02 PM

This morning I did a quick jumprope workout with regular pushups in between jumprope sets. I then did a hill / sprint workout on the treadmill. All told, it took about 15 - 18 minutes. I much prefer short duration high intensity to long slow distance. And John is right - a Power T workout really gets the heart rate up in a hurry!

Share |

Legacy Member

10-23-2008, 06:53 PM

John,

Sounds like before you're done you're going to have to change to title to: ULTIMATE EVERYTHING FOR THE AWESOME PHYSIQUE!

-Joe

Share |

10-24-2008, 06:57 AM

John, (or whosoever will)
What's your take on Tabata intervals? Not just with running, but with any calisthenics.

I've been experimenting with them, and I think they are improving my endurance. (they also make me incredibly sore the next morning)

Followup question,
would the "endurance" (VO2 max, whatever) from sprinting (tababa, intervals, whatever) carry over into "endurance" events such as the 1/2 marathon I'll be doing in a few months?

Thanks,
Cliff

Share |

Legacy Member

10-24-2008, 07:12 AM

cliff, I use tabata intervals a lot. I think they increase endurance, and are also effective for fat loss and increasing speed strength (if performed with the appropriate exercises). But still, I think there's nothing magical about the format, other HIIT routines will deliver similar results. The only problem is overtraining, as this form of cardio is much more intense than steady-state one. In order to avoid burning out, I frequently change exercises, or do circuits in which I mix harder exercises with easier ones.

Edit: I do think there's some carryover to aerobic endurance events on a general level. But if you plan to compete in a half marathon, HIIT should probably just figure as an addition to more traditional cardio training (SAID principle - specific adaptations to imposed demands). Maybe it will improve your ability to run faster shortly before the finish line, or on an incline.

Last edited by divebomber; 10-24-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Share |

10-24-2008, 07:43 AM

Thumbs up for interval training, However, be mindful of resting too much, Heartrate monitoring will let you know when to push it agin ot obtain cardio benfits,

Normally, I reactively push back when I see terms like awesome & utimate; however, JP deserves poetic license & I'll be a buyer.

Share |