Share |
VIDEO: Want to strengthen your entire upper body?

Legacy Member

09-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Try this combination:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I wanted you guys to preview one of the exercises I developed with my ultra simple adjustable pull-up bar. I'm going to be doing a video or two on exercises you can do with this rig in my next episode of Joe Justice: Certified He-Man. This, you might notice, is a variation of the Atlas Level III Push-Up, suspending the feet rather than fixing them to a wall gives you more play with your range of motion and you actually recruit more muscles in your shoulders, chest and back to do the push-up. In a way this makes the exercise easier, since it's not quite as isolating, but it also makes it a very complete upper body worker variation.

Throw in the rope climb and I think you've hit every single muscle in your upper body! The tough part is doing them back to back! I missed the last couple of feet on the rope, its funny watching it because you can see the point where I said to myself, "Nope, not gonna happen." The problem with climbing a rope is you have to take into consideration getting up AND getting down. Actually, I's say the getting down part is the most important of the two!! Ah well, sometimes you win and sometimes the rope wins!

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 09-18-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Share |

09-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Nice. Do just that once a day and you're set. As for making it up the rope, nothing is worth a fall. It's about health and fitness.

I got in the first rating, awesome of course.

Tom

the rating was for everything but '70's boy's high school basketball gym trunks

Share |

Legacy Member

09-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
I got in the first rating, awesome of course.
I'll send you a check first thing in the morning.

-Joe

P.S. I knew you'd say something about my cloths!

Share |

09-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Joe,

Another Great Video! Great Exercise combo.

All the best!

B38

Share |

09-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Joe,

Great video, seems like your feet are elevated quite a bit versus what I've seen in the books for the A3's. Are you doing that in order to work towards a full handstand PU or is that just how it worked out?

Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

09-18-2009, 06:45 PM

I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule when it comes to Atlas 3's, I just put the bar at about colorbone level - that's where it's easiest to get my feet up to. But I am and have been working on handstand push-ups! Man, now those are TOUGH! At 6'1" I don't thinl I have ideal leverage for it either. Pushing exervises in general have always been tough for me.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

09-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Joe, your video is great as well as all of your other videos, How long did it take you to master climbing a rope? That is one thing that I have always wanted to be able to do, I can knockout 15-18 pull-ups, but cant climb a rope, any secrets or tips you can give me? I know that gripping strength has a lot to do with it, but any tips would be great, keep on bringing on the videos, they are great.thank you.

Share |

Legacy Member

09-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Ewok Gym?! I don't know if that's a complement or fightin' words!

dynogoalie30,
Here's some detail on rope my climbing:
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...ead.php?t=2814

Two exercises I'd focus on are Power T Push-Ups and Towel Pull-Ups. Do these in many small sets, something like 20 sets of 5. I've had a lot of success in building strength by doing lots of small sets. They start out very easy but by the time you hit the 20th set, even though you're only doing 5 reps, it's TOUGH!

Don't be afraid to work with the DSR and isometric forearm exercises in PYTP as well, they will yield results!

I have not tried gymnastic chalk but I DID try foot powder and that actually does help quite a bit. You'll notice in this video I slipped, if I would have thrown on some powder just before I started to climb I probably would have made it to the top. Your hands will also toughen up quite a bit and become calloused, that helps a great deal with grip as well.

All in all it took me about two weeks to actually climb the rope the first time, but that was after a couple of months of focusing on the Power T's and Towel Pull-Ups. I believe I discuss that in that thread I linked too.

Also, as you read that thread, take note just how often my cloths comes under attack!! With every video I get new grief. Here soon I'm going to start wearing one of those leopards skin leotards the all time strongmen use to wear! Let's see them make fun of that!

-Joe

Share |

09-21-2009, 07:30 AM

Slackers like me can acquire a fraction of rope climbing benefits by performing pulls from a thick rope anchored to a chinup bar, tree limb, training parntner,or, ... Pullin' stuff with a thick rope can be done in ways that engage your entire body for a "complete" workout

Share |

09-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Foot powder? Are you nuts? That probably has some talcum powder in it. The purpose of that powder is to make things non-sticky, the opposite of what you want. Besides, it is often medicated and you'll be breathing it. Jeesh. Get some gym chalk. Safety, safety.

Old-time strong-man leopard leotards are meant to stretched over a huge beer belly. Not suggested.

It's not grief - it's education. Top quality learning at no extra charge.

Tom

Share |

Tags
joe justice, video