Share |
Finger strength - Figured out a new method

01-24-2019, 12:07 AM

For finger strength I generally do these exercises.
  1. Pushups on finger tips
  2. Wrist curl letting the dumbell unroll to finger tips and roll back up.
  3. Pullups with less than four fingers (2 and 3 - can't do just 1 finger yet)

So the wrist curl finger roll... The problem with those is that my fingers are stronger than what my wrists can support. I can easily roll up a 50lb dumbbell, but my wrist sure doesn't like it hanging there. Tonight I stumbled on a good replacement for the wrist curl unroll. Grasp a pullup bar with an underhand grip as you would for a chin up. Hang by your finger tips and try to close your hand. I can get my hand about 1/3 closed from that position. I'll start doing some iso's in various positions of closure and the occasional negative. The best part is I'm hitting the fingers and not putting undue stress on my wrist like before

These could be done with a lat pull type device as well and in that case could be done with a weight that you could finger roll. I"m going the pull-up bar route as I generally don't use weights if I can find another way to provide resistance. I've lifted so many weights over my life that they generally bore me and if I can do it another way, it's much more interesting to me and that makes the training that much better.

These days if you see me with a weight on a bar it's because I either want to test myself or more likely I want to do an isometric with less than 100 percent effort. If I use a weight and then don't move it I know I'm providing steady resistance. Doing isometrics without weights, I tend to always gravitate to 100% whether or not that was my intention or not.

Share |

Author

01-25-2019, 09:34 AM

Hello Ware,

WOW!!! In terms of 'Grip Strength' in relation to one's own body weight this is a 'MASTER EXERCISE'. I've never tried it before. thanks for posting this.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-10-2019, 06:32 PM

A little update. I wanted to see where I was at numbers wise on the finger roll. So I took a barbell and held it at arms length in front like you would for shoulder shrugs. Used an overhand grip.

I was able to do the finger rolls with 185 for 5 good reps.

I've been doing quite a bit for forearm and hand strength.

Wrist Levers with bars of various weights. Traditional sledge hammer to nose type stuff and pronation supination with a bar spinning it back and forth much like a plane propeller.

I've moved up from doing finger tip pushups to putting my feet up on a wall and just doing a finger tip hand stand. Not a full hand stand, but probably 30 to 45 degrees so putting more weight on the fingers for sure. (I weigh around 205 give or take).

Other than that mostly been doing isometrics incorporating the Solytrain method mostly.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

02-14-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ware View Post
For finger strength I generally do these exercises.
  1. Pushups on finger tips
  2. Wrist curl letting the dumbell unroll to finger tips and roll back up.
  3. Pullups with less than four fingers (2 and 3 - can't do just 1 finger yet)

So the wrist curl finger roll... The problem with those is that my fingers are stronger than what my wrists can support. I can easily roll up a 50lb dumbbell, but my wrist sure doesn't like it hanging there. Tonight I stumbled on a good replacement for the wrist curl unroll. Grasp a pullup bar with an underhand grip as you would for a chin up. Hang by your finger tips and try to close your hand. I can get my hand about 1/3 closed from that position. I'll start doing some iso's in various positions of closure and the occasional negative. The best part is I'm hitting the fingers and not putting undue stress on my wrist like before

These could be done with a lat pull type device as well and in that case could be done with a weight that you could finger roll. I"m going the pull-up bar route as I generally don't use weights if I can find another way to provide resistance. I've lifted so many weights over my life that they generally bore me and if I can do it another way, it's much more interesting to me and that makes the training that much better.

These days if you see me with a weight on a bar it's because I either want to test myself or more likely I want to do an isometric with less than 100 percent effort. If I use a weight and then don't move it I know I'm providing steady resistance. Doing isometrics without weights, I tend to always gravitate to 100% whether or not that was my intention or not.

That's cool man. The dumbbell finger roll is a good isolation for the wrists and fingers. I learned that from a video I have on developing pull-up strength by Garin Bader. The finger tip pushups are fun but can be crazy at times. Fingertip Handstands are one of the most advanced forms of fingertip training. That's great you're able to do it from that angle. Have you tried explosive fingertip pushups yet?

Share |

02-15-2019, 12:39 AM

Nope, nothing explosive yet. I like my joints! LOL

I can do about 10 seconds on the handstand and can tell steady tension is where it's at for now. Maybe down the road a slight bounce, but not yet.

I have this feeling that any injury to my fingers is going to take a long time to heal and be a PITA until it does so caution is the watch word.

Kind of funny all the different type of hand strength. I have good holding strength from years of heavy deadlifts. I was FIRMLY in the camp of no straps, if you can deadlift it but can't hold it then you really can't deadlift it. My crushing strength though is not where I want it to be. So I've been working various forms of that and the opposite to keep things in balance.

I think in the future I'm going to start bending things.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Nope, nothing explosive yet. I like my joints! LOL

I can do about 10 seconds on the handstand and can tell steady tension is where it's at for now. Maybe down the road a slight bounce, but not yet.

I have this feeling that any injury to my fingers is going to take a long time to heal and be a PITA until it does so caution is the watch word.

Kind of funny all the different type of hand strength. I have good holding strength from years of heavy deadlifts. I was FIRMLY in the camp of no straps, if you can deadlift it but can't hold it then you really can't deadlift it. My crushing strength though is not where I want it to be. So I've been working various forms of that and the opposite to keep things in balance.

I think in the future I'm going to start bending things.

That's all good man. If it works for you, keep at it. Don't do them if it's going to hurt you. Sometimes just holding is enough lol. When you start bending, be careful and start with grade bolts that are easy to be bend, in order to figure that out, you'll have to find them. Home Depot would be your best bet. Again be careful, bending stuff isn't pretty and you can hurt yourself.

Share |

02-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Hey Benny, can you explain grade bolts, I have no idea on them or what steel is suitable to start with. I'm smart enough to avoid the hardened stuff, but that is about it.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-16-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Hey Benny, can you explain grade bolts, I have no idea on them or what steel is suitable to start with. I'm smart enough to avoid the hardened stuff, but that is about it.
If you go on home Depot's website, find graded bolts, the length should be around 4-6 inches long. If you want to make things easier without much explaination, look for 40d penny nails. Their 4-5 inches long and their good nails to start with. Because of manufacturing, some graded bolts and nails are easier to bend than others. They can be the same length and same thickness but the pressure to bend them can be different. I learned this from Slim The Hammerman. I bend 60d Penny Nails and some were easy as hell to bend for me and others were a major struggle, not all bendable nails are created equal lol. You have to get a feel for it and see how it goes.

If you plan on bending things, have a good recovery system along with it because bending can really stress the joints and tendons. Keep your joints as healthy as you can and consistently. Don't start out bending a ton of nails, start with a few and get a feel for them. Some might bend pretty good, others might be a life or death grudge match to bend, either way you're getting a workout.

Share |

02-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanks Benny.

Share |