Share |
What Is the Best Book on Isometrics?

Author

04-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have been asked what I consider to be the best book I have ever read on the topic of Isometric Contraction.

My answer: Let me answer it this way and you will understand why I am making the distinction if you read my answer.

First off: We need to make a distinction between Isometrics that are performed with equipment and those that are performed freehand.

In my opinion, the best book/course for applying Isometrics to weight lifting is Bob Hoffman's 'Functional Isometric Contraction'. Hoffman's prodigies; Bill March & Lou Riecke both set personal records by combining Isometrics performed daily in 8 different positions and one Standard weight lifting workout weekly. Both men shattered ALL of their previous records and in the Book 'Functional Isometric Contraction' Hoffman told how they did it without once mentioning 'Dianabol'. In terms of the best Isometric program for an all-around athletic strength, coach James Baley's was by far the most extensive course that anyone has ever offered.

The best course that I ever read of purely non-Equipment Isometrics was Tom Buckley's original Course from 1958 in which he taught Isometric Power Flex contractions based on flexing the muscles exactly as was performed by Physique Champions. Buckley was the original in 1958 and Mike Marvel reproduced the exact same exercises in 1962 under the title 'Dyna Flex'. The same exact exercises were reproduced for yet another go round in 1978 by Mike Dayton under the Title 'Chi Mind Control' These exercises truly are extraordinary for sculpting and shaping the muscles and are the same exercises champion bodybuilders use to apply finishing touches to their physiques. They really do a fantastic job in shaping the muscles.

There is one other course that was exceptional for creating an exceptional physique and all around fitness when properly applied and that was Henry Wittenberg's 'Isometrics'. Wittenberg's Course was like a concentrated Charles Atlas course of 12 Ultra Intense minutes at peak level. He stated that only champion Calibre athletes would be able to complete the peak level within the time limits. Believe me, if you did it faihtfully it was a fantastic course.

Over the years I have collected more than 50 different titles on Isometrics and the vast majority were written in the 1960s.

Bottom line: Tom Buckley wrote the best freehand course and Bob Hoffman the best for applying Isometrics to weight lifting.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-23-2019, 07:34 AM

Well, the best isometric exercise in my opinion is the Kiveloff full body exercise and John's book was the only one that taught it. Kudos to John!

Share |

Author

04-23-2019, 12:51 PM

Thank You Lion King,

I have changed the name of it due to the fact that I was contacted by Dr. Huber's granddaughter who is a doctor in her own right that requested that Dr. Huber be given credit as co-developer of the technique. So, it is now the "Huber-Kiveloff Full Body Isometric Contraction".

I told Lisa that it was never my intention to slight anyone.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

04-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Take Alexander Zass' iso course, apply it to the belt today and you've got it made.

Share |