Share |
Amazing Athletes

03-30-2019, 08:17 AM

John and all,

I was fortunate enough to attend a Cirque de Soleil show as part of a work function. Set in a tent structure like the old time big tops it was an excellent show as always by this organization. But what continues to amaze me is the performers have got to be some of the leanest yet strongest athletes in the world. Their muscle control and ability to move their bodies in ways that are incredible. I have to believe they donít use many weights to get where they are.

Something to strive towards.

Thanks,

Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

03-30-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlclay View Post
John and all,

I was fortunate enough to attend a Cirque de Soleil show as part of a work function. Set in a tent structure like the old time big tops it was an excellent show as always by this organization. But what continues to amaze me is the performers have got to be some of the leanest yet strongest athletes in the world. Their muscle control and ability to move their bodies in ways that are incredible. I have to believe they don’t use many weights to get where they are.

Something to strive towards.

Thanks,

Jon
Some do and some don't depending on the travel schedules and performances. Most of the time a lot of them don't. Some of their training on the road is using what's available and when they do hit the gym, they train specifically for the muscles needed in their performances. Conditioning wise, many just perform or do rehearsal because that's how they stay in shape.

A friend of mine worked in Vegas and was an Olympic gymnast during his younger years. He did train on weights but never heavy because it wouldn't help his performance well. He use to produce, manage and perform in a show called Bite which is a Vampire type show that featured show girls, Cirque De Soleil type elements and 80s heavy metal. He had told me and I learned this as well from his course that he had out years ago that no longer is available called Muscle Reminders to use exercises throughout the day to stay energized and have that "ready strength" where if you're an athlete or just the average person, your body can go when it needs to.

I can see a lot of performers doing something a long those lines. Some of these guys work many hours and perform more than once a day during the week. Some performers go do up to 4 shows a day at certain points so if there's any training involved, it's mainly staying strong and ready for those performances by doing things throughout the day or doing things between rehearsals.

The guy's name I talked about is Cees De Kok, he was a former gymnast from Holland and works mainly today as a producer and show runner for shows in Vegas. His course was very basic that had you doing exercises from virtually anywhere including at a red light or stop sign in your car. Nothing special but effective. I still have the DVDs in my possession.

I went to his Bite show back in Nov of 2010 when I traveled with my dad to Vegas. I was visiting another friend who is a performer as well that does similar style shows but more music based like the piano and such. His name is Garin Bader. Bite was a fantastic show and Cees was an exceptional performer and one of the best I've ever seen. Crazy strength for his size and can move like you wouldn't believe. He's in his 50s but still has a good physique and can still perform well.

Last edited by bennyb; 03-30-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Share |

03-30-2019, 11:14 AM

I saw the Cirque de Soleil show years ago and still can remember how impressed I was. It sounds like Benny is describing mind/body exercises of the tension type that can be performed anywhere with the emphasis being on control.. Gordon

George F. Jowett in his book " Unrevealed Secrets Of Man" writes, " The weight was never supposed to be the source of the tension upon the muscles. It is merely supposed to be a tool to focus your "concentration"upon the muscle.If anything, the development of the muscle was coming from the 'mental concentration' upon powerfully flexing the muscle."

Last edited by Andy62; 03-30-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Share |

03-30-2019, 12:57 PM

@benny Great feedback as I wasnít sure how these performers trained but I can definitely see them doing a few shows a day so their workout is their show. For someone who works at a computer most days your reminder to do exercises throughout the day is a good one. Iíve used my car steering wheel to do isometrics at stop lights on many occasions. Feels good to do something wherever you are.

Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

04-01-2019, 09:03 AM

As John has stated many a time, just doing the Kivelov full body isometric several times a day is huge!

Share |