Share |
pushup question

10-26-2014, 06:24 AM

I am just now discovering the benefits of pushups at almost 67 years old. My questions are is there a certain way to position the hands so the biceps get exercised? Question number 2 is on days when pain is bad will you still get benefits from doing inclined pushups against a table? Thanks,Lou

Share |

Legacy Member

10-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Lou,
I have not found any hand position doing pushups that will exercise the biceps. However the pushups give you a generalized pump and in between sets of pushups you would/could do sets of DVRs or DSRs that hit the biceps.
From your question I do not know what is causing you the pain. If I assume that you are in pain because you overdid pushups a day of two before, then lay off the pushups and do sets of very light DVRs just to get the blood moving around.
If you are in pain for other reasons, I still think that light DVRs would be helpful and appropriate.
We are here to train not strain, particularly at your age. ( I am 62 so I am not picking on you) If your training is causing you pain, you should reevaluate what you are doing and back off some. If I overdo it with pushups one day, then I end up not doing pushups the next. My desire is to workout daily so I set limitations on my repetitions.
Good training

Tim

Share |

10-27-2014, 05:46 AM

Tim, Thanks for your reply. I am in pain 24/7 due to degenerative joint disease from head to toe. (literally) and from being busted up from 2 auto accidents plus injuries due to weight training in my younger years. I have started to try doing pushups the regular way. Some days I can,other days I do "incline pushups" leaning against a table. I was just wondering if doing "modified" pushups either on the knees or against a table will give you any benefits as opposed to regular pushups?

Share |

Legacy Member

10-27-2014, 06:37 AM

kong2,

Doing any kind of pushups will give you more benefit than not doing any at all.

In your case, I don't think "regular pushups" would be more beneficial than those done from the knees or against a table. It sounds like they'd cause you more pain than anything else.

I think it sounds like you're on the right track with doing what you can each day.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

10-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Like Rob said, "any pushups are better than no pushups."
I toyed around with hand placement after John started writing about John King. My shoulders feel better with my hands on blocks, whether I am doing Atlas I, II, or III.
I again repeat, try some light DVRs. Buy John's book, "The Miracle Seven." The exercises there can be done anytime and no matter how poorly you feel. Just getting the blood pumping will effect how those joints feel.

Tim

Share |

10-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Lou,

I have a different opinion than the others. Any push ups are NOT better than no push ups.

Considering your medical condition, past injuries, and if I recall from recent posts, you're returning to training after a long sedentary period and accompanying weight gain (I apologize if I'm incorrect), I would do FMT exercises exclusively for the foreseeable future (certainly many months, maybe a year).

A daily workout consisting of isometric contraction, dynamic tension-type exercises (DVRs, Tiger Moves, etc) and gentle stretching would do far more in terms of healing your body and helping you to get fit than any kind of calisthenics.

I wouldn't worry about push ups until your joints improve and you become stronger, leaner and more flexible. Just like with some who lift weights, we all know that many people can still do a decent amount of push ups and squats while still being somewhat inflexible, chronically sore and carrying way too much fat on their frames. People like that may be strong, but they are NOT fit.

Just my two cents.

Paul
And with our thoughts, we make our world." --Buddha

Last edited by Paul Smith; 10-27-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Share |

10-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Lou,

I've found the Power T's can activate the biceps pretty well, if you can invest in them and do them.

Jon

Share |

10-27-2014, 09:30 PM

Hi, I can attest to the benefits of atlas 3 as far as pain is concerned a la john king, as I'm a full time trainer with my private gym/studio, I have a living and breathing laboratory, I've had dozens of clients that couldn't do regular, atlas 1, and atlas 2 pushups without pain even with limited movement, but with atlas 3 albeit with a shortened range of movement they could do it, though with controlled movement, not going to that position of pain, before me showing therm they would never of have tried it because it really is counter intuitive that a tougher position would actually be easier on shoulder

Share |

Legacy Member

10-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
Lou,

I have a different opinion than the others. Any push ups are NOT better than no push ups.

Considering your medical condition, past injuries, and if I recall from recent posts, you're returning to training after a long sedentary period and accompanying weight gain (I apologize if I'm incorrect), I would do FMT exercises exclusively for the foreseeable future (certainly many months, maybe a year).

A daily workout consisting of isometric contraction, dynamic tension-type exercises (DVRs, Tiger Moves, etc) and gentle stretching would do far more in terms of healing your body and helping you to get fit than any kind of calisthenics.

I wouldn't worry about push ups until your joints improve and you become stronger, leaner and more flexible. Just like with some who lift weights, we all know that many people can still do a decent amount of push ups and squats while still being somewhat inflexible, chronically sore and carrying way too much fat on their frames. People like that may be strong, but they are NOT fit.

Just my two cents.

Paul
Obviously, Paul is correct. Depending on just how much your body is "beat up", you may want to consider backing off from push ups for a while.

I was basically related this to myself. If I can do an easier push up variation without pain, but a more difficult one gives me trouble, I'd go with easier version.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

10-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Paul,
A careful reading of Lou's original post shows that he was getting some benefits from the pushups that he was doing. I agree with you that DVRs would be easiest on his joints, and I pointed him in that direction also. However a la Jack King, pushups have the ability to pump lots of blood into the shoulders and that blood helps them heal.
Ten months ago I could barely raise my right arm over my head. Within 3-4 months of Atlas llls I could raise that arm again without pain. Solytrain seems to be saying something of the same thing. A nice pump with pushups could be what the Doctor ordered for Lou.

Tim

Share |