Share |
The "Ultimate No Excuse" Variations

Author

12-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Hey Men,

Please read Dr Kiveloff's exercise description once again very carefully. (Note: This is Dr. Kiveloff's instruction)

Quote:
Here's how you do it:

Stand in a relaxed position, arms hanging loose. Don't clench your fists or bend your elbows or joints.

Tense all your muscles at the same time as tightly as possible, while breathing normally and counting aloud to six. You might try tensing each muscle group separately -- legs, arms chest, abdomen, face -- and then try tensing them all at once. When you do, you should feel an immediate surge of warmth all over your body.

Relax and rest for a few seconds.

Repeat the exercise twice more.

Do this three times a day (try morning, noon and night).

And that's all there is to it. Dr. Kiveloff told us he's begun doing the exercises four or five times a day for added benefit. And, he added, though the original study was done with people exercising in a standing position, it can be done sitting or even lying down. Generally, he says, it takes six to eight weeks to produce a significant drop in blood pressure (if your pressure is elevated to begin with), with the long-term benefits growing over time.

(If you are presently under a doctor's care for high blood pressure, you should consult your doctor before discontinuing any medications or beginning an exercise program.)

Taking Up Arms Against Age

But what does this have to do with aging? Everything in the world, Dr. Kiveloff maintains. He explains his theory this way: "The human body is like a plant. When there is not enough moisture it withers; when the blood supply to the body tissues and vital organs is impaired a loss of vitality, early aging and cardiovascular diseases follow."

So aging is a process that begins with impaired circulation, a constriction of the vessels that supply oxygen and nutrients to tissues and organs and carry off waste. A person's age, he adds, is not something that's determined by the calendar. "The main cause of early death--cardiovascular and cerebrovascular decline--can set at any age," he says.

Crucial to a healthy cardiovascular system is good peripheral circulation. In fact, blood pressure is directly related to peripheral circulation, since the greater the resistance to blood flow through those tiny, far-flung vessels, the harder the heart has to pump to push the blood through, and the higher your blood pressure. The process known as "cardiovascular adaptation"--or the way a race gets easier the longer you train for it--is largely a matter of improved peripheral circulation, Dr. Kiveloff says.

A sound cardiovascular system also requires adequate reserves of blood properly distributed through the body, he says. Normally the muscles store some 40 to 50 percent of the body's total supply. Yet aging affects blood-storing muscle fiber, replacing it with connective tissue, which can't store blood nearly as well.

Isometrics, Dr. Kiveloff maintains, attacks all these problems at once. It's been shown to dramatically and reliably improve peripheral circulation. It improves and maintains muscle tone and muscle bulk, delaying the conversion of muscle fiber to connective tissue and thus protecting the proper balance of blood reserves though the body. And it checks the steady upward creep in blood pressure that usually accompanies age, which can lead to serious and often fatal complications.

Along the way, Dr. Kiveloff says, you take up arms against again other ways: Good peripheral circulation helps prevent wrinkles, for example. Improved posture aids your overall health and fights off one of the classic signs of age: stooped shoulders. And enhanced sense of well-being so many people report goes a long way toward keeping a youthful spring in your step.

Dr. Kiveloff told Prevention Magazine his original study has never been seriously challenged by other researchers. Yet surprisingly little additional work has been done to clarify or confirm it.

One recent Danish study seems to support his work, however. Over a period of nine weeks, nine healthy men performed isometric exercises (knee extensions) while their blood pressure and heart rate were monitored. At the end of the study period, two minutes of isometrics produced a lower heart and blood pressure than it had at the beginning of the study (American Journal Cardiology, February, 1979).

Dynamic or moving exercises such as jogging also" generally have favorable effect on blood pressure," according to Howard Hartley, M.D., director of cardiac rehabilitation at Brigham and Women's Hospital, in Boston. Dr. Hartley told Prevention Magazine that in his own studies of people with hypertension, a decline in blood pressure occurred after several weeks of jogging. "Generally speaking," he told us, "the higher the resting blood pressure, the greater the response to conditioning."

Asked about the lack of follow-up studies on Dr. Kiveloff's work, Dr. Hartley said, "There's not a lot of enthusiasm among doctors about recommending isometrics to people who are prone to coronary disease, because it has the potential for being very stressful exercise."

Yet Dr. Kiveloff maintains that he's seen no side effects--such as irregular heartbeats, dizziness or discomfort--in anyone doing the exercises properly. In fact, he points out a study of 140 patients with known or suspected coronary artery disease concluded that isometric exercise alone is much less likely to produce myocardial ischemia (shortage of blood to the heart) than vigorous dynamic exercise ( Chest, April 4, 1975).

In his office at the rehabilitation center at the New York Infirmary, Dr. Kiveloff leans back in his chair. Despite all the publicity, he tells a visitor, he' never made a penny for his isometrics program except the payment for one magazine article. Why does he go on teaching and talking about it, despite the lack of financial reward and some resistance from the medical community? The visitor asks. "Because it makes people happy, you know." And then he smiles.

Now, Read this:

I have been asked if it is alright to bend elbows and knees and clench the fists as powerfully as possible while contracting every muscle in the entire body. A few of YOU have told me that YOU are able to achieve much stronger contractions by doing so.

My Answer: YES!!! First complete the exercise exactly as Dr Kiveloff describes for 6 second contractions 3 to 4 times in succession and then practice 3 or 4 reps the way want to do it. I do this exercise 6 reps when I wake up while still in bed and then 6 reps as soon as I stand. It takes almost no time

After I have let my dogs out and have fed them I then practice a Full Body Isometric Power Flex Routine of 40 separate Flexes that cover every muscle group. HOWEVER, EVEN THOUGH I AM FOCUSING ON SEPARATE MUSCLE GROUPS WITH EACH CONTRACTION, I INTENTIONALLY FLEX EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY JUST LIKE THE KIVELOFF EXERCISE. I do each flex just once unless I feel that I wasn't contracting as powerfully as possible and then I do it for another rep.

Now get this; with a complete workout of each body part It takes me all of 10 minutes to complete the entire sequence and I feel totally energized as a result. Once fully understood and implemented Isometric Power Flex exercises will transform your emotional state while energizing you.

Bottomline: My recommendation is that you practice the exercise exactly as Dr. Kiveloff taught and do so for a dozen total reps each day and then DO YOU OWN THING!

---John Peterson

Share |

12-09-2014, 05:50 AM

John,

Since this thread is about variations, where does time under tension (TUT) and optimal number of reps come into play here?

Specifically, is there any advantage to doing three reps of 6 seconds each (18 seconds TUT) rather than doing two reps of 10 seconds each (20 seconds TUT)? Or for that matter, why not one rep of 18-20 seconds and be done with it?

TUT is virtually the same in the all three examples but the protocol differs somewhat. What (and why) do you think is best?

Thanks.

Paul
And with our thoughts, we make our world." --Buddha

Share |

Author

12-09-2014, 08:55 AM

Paul My Friend,

You are asking a logical question that I am sure that many men have had. The answer can be found in our classics section where I have placed Theodor Hettinger's 'The Physiology of Strength'. The following is the introduction I wrote...

Quote:
The Physiology of Strength represents the results of a decade and a half of isometric research that was conducted from 1946 to 1961 at the Max Planck Institute in Dortmund, Germany. Though this book is technical and totally lacking in literary personality, it does offer some great insights into the research that was conducted and the variables that were included in the experiments. I highly recommend it.

Paul, Hettinger and Mueller tested every conceivable variable during their 15 years of intensive research. They discovered that maximum results can be obtained with just one maximum contraction of 2/3's or more of one's maximum capability and 6 seconds to be the magic number for maximized results. More repetitions did not yield greater results according to their research. Now let me just say that I personally repeat a contraction up to 3 time if I don't feel that I got my maximum the first or second time.

As relates to duration, with 6 to 7 second contractions at very high intensity I can train daily. With longer durations I can't because I over tax my Central Nervous System.

The bottom line is that every individual is different and each of us needs to work with the exercises to create our own best protocols.

---John Peterson

Share |