Share |
isometrics for building muscle

Author

02-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Hey Steveo81,

Soly and I have talked several times and the physique that you see in his photo is the result of Isometric Contraction almost exclusively.

Sol has gone on Push-Up cycles for up to 10 weeks at a time, Pull-Up Cycles and so forth but the one thing that has always been his foundation is Isometric Contraction. Believe me, the man is an expert.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Great thread Soly.

You mentioned the specific isometric protocols for building explosive strength but could you also share what you would recommend (number of sets, hold times, sessions per week, etc) for both muscle building and fat burning?

Thanks.

Paul
And with our thoughts, we make our world." --Buddha

Last edited by Paul Smith; 02-11-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Share |

02-11-2015, 12:18 AM

I believe you John, and it's great to have experts on the forum to learn from.

Share |

02-11-2015, 01:59 AM

Hi Paul, in general it would be done add I posted before each exercise the sets an easy one 5 secs, an medium one 6 secs and an all out one for 7 secs, bit regarding the other question I cannot give you an honest answer because I've berm doing isometrics for 46 years and throughout the year have done just about every combination, the only thing I could say is start by following what John Peterson wrote in ipr, and then use your own reasoning regarding how long to train, how often, and how intense, it will depend on your situation at that time, energy level, time, etc. But over time if you're diligent you would probably also go over the whole gamut of possibilities, the main thing is consistency, and HONEST effort

Share |

02-11-2015, 02:14 AM

20120921_083913-2.jpg here is a photo at 14 years of age have been doing isometrics exclusively for about one year, so as you could see, very basic isos and even though full hormones hasn't yet kicked in, still built muscle

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Sold,great picture and this is a great topic,I have a couple of questions, what form of iso's do you do for your legs,and also do you do any cardio work? Keep up the great work,and you are proff that isometrics do build a great physique,great job!

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Sorry Soly,I miss spelled your name.

Share |

Author

02-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Hey Dynogoalie30,

I thought you were right on saying "SOLD!".

---John Peterson

Share |

02-11-2015, 02:04 PM

Mr dynogoalie30, at this present time, and for many years cardio wasn't at the forefront of my exercise agenda, not because it's not important, just wasn't emphasized that much, because it's sort of built in to my daily habits, first of all because I'm an exercise therapist and I'm on my feet a total of at least 4 hours a day and that alone is enough to basically condition your heart, also in decent weather i walk at least half hour a day plusus I live in a 3 level private house and I walk at least a minimum of ten flights of stairs a day, and also I've used Rebounder's for many years, actually the first one I bought 23 years ago, anyway as for direct leg isos I don't really do them because of the aforementioned routines, stairs, Rebounder's, I feel they get plenty of work, and in my 20's and 30's I had super thighs of 26 inches, people used to think I was a powerlifter so I don't need extra strength in my legs, OK so there you have my long winded reply

Last edited by solytrain; 02-11-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Your right also John, I am sold on isometrics, I need to start doing them again.

Share |