Share |
Higher Reps on DSR and DVR

Legacy Member

11-20-2014, 05:33 AM

What is the point of using higher repetitions in the 25-50 rep range with lighter tension for these movements? Simple, in the beginning you strengthen the neural pathways to contact the muscles. You also concentrate on your deep breathing, tightening your abdomen on each rep.

It is a healthy way to train and as you learn to contract the muscles with more tension, you begin to use less repetition. You will also use fewer exercises, because of the time factor. Let's see what a simple routine would look like.

Suppose you were too weak to do push-ups. This is how you would strengthen your body. You would perform six DSR exercises -

1. Clasping one fist over the other, push forward under tension

2. Grasping one hand at the hip, resist as you pull your arm across your body

3. Cupping one fist in the other, push down under resistance

4. Seated, grasp both hands around the knee and row backwards

5. Clasping one fist over the other push upwards under tension

6. Curl the fist under tension

Do 25 repetitions of all six exercises for both sides. Use moderately light tension and concentrate on breathing. Do this for six weeks 4-5 times a week. By this time, you should be able to start doing a few push-ups.

Continue with the exercises, but now cut your reps down to 10, increase the tension, and follow with 3-5 sets of push-ups, but don't strain on the push-ups. Stay within your recovery ability. Do this for another six weeks.

By this time, you should be able to do sets of 10-15 push-ups.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

11-20-2014, 03:44 PM

The last few years I have been doing higher reps on both DVRs and DSRs, I like the pump. I have been doing DVRs and DSRs for a decade and for years followed John's rep scheme from PYTP.
On the other hand I was a competitive swimmer through High School and College so high reps feel comfortable to me. Plus after lifting weights with the 5, 8, or 10 rep scheme for decades my body had gotten accustom to that lower rep range and I still have the goal of hitting better than 20 chins/ pullups. My thought is that If all my exercises are well in excess of the 20 reps I feel that I am getting my body ready to perform 20 chin/pullups. I could be wrong, but I am still being my own coach.

Tim

Share |

11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Tim,

Since you've been doing higher reps, what results have you seen? Specifically, I am curious if you have gained size and/or if you have become more cut and defined?

Also, how many total reps and sets do you do in a workout and at what tension level?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Paul
And with our thoughts, we make our world." --Buddha

Share |

Legacy Member

11-20-2014, 05:38 PM

Paul,
I think that my vascularity has become more pronounced. At 62 years old I am not looking for size anymore. I rather drop about 40lbs
My DVR workout would look like:
Curls: 75 = (25 hammer curls, 25 French and 25 palm up)
Dips 50 = 25 closed fist, 25 open hand
tricep pushdown 50 = 25 hammer fist, 25 palm facing down
CAT 25
Total = 200 reps x 3 sets = 600 total reps
With my DVR workout I generally do my pushups, either Atlas ll or Atlas lll. With a gun to my head I could do a set of 60. So I will do 2 or 3 sets of 45 and 3 or 4 sets of 40 for a total around 250. I could do more with smaller sets but if I do more than 300 I am tired the next day.
My DSR workout looks like this:
Milo x 38 reps, second set 22 reps
tricep 10 bladed hand, 10 to side =20 reps 3 sets = 60 movements
Coming at you x 50, next set would be Ledermans push movement x 40
I do another 3 sets of overhead pulling wrists back and forth x 15 = 45 movements
I generally do my isometrics with the DSR workout, but sometimes I do the pushups then. I find that isometrics work or feels better with the DSR workout.
I hope that this qualifies as high rep.

Tim

Share |

11-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Hey Greg. Are the six DSR exercises in PYTP? Could DVR exercises be used for this as well?

Share |

Legacy Member

11-21-2014, 05:47 AM

Furtrapper,

Where you push straight down is. The one where you push straight up is an Isometric from Isometric Power Revolution, but it can be done as a DSR. As far as doing it DVR style, the answer is absolutely! Press up, press out horizontal, and press down as if dipping. Even if you can already do push-ups, these exercises done as a DVR will enhance your ability to do more.

Greg

Share |