Share |
New recruit to this site and system. A few questions...

03-08-2010, 01:26 AM

Hey guys, I just discovered the website. What a wonderful system of physical culture. I have had the Atlas course for about a year now but never could find the discipline to finish it. I have resolved to go through John Peterson's Pushing Yourself to Power (amazing book) as well as POWERFLEX (also amazing). I only have two questions though. I recently performed Charles Atlas' first lesson from his course and learned the hard way that I was pushing myself too hard. I was so sore I couldn't work out for about a week. I had trouble even putting on a jacket. My question is how do I recognize when enough is enough for one day? Atlas said to exercise until you are slightly tired and thats what I did. Any thoughts? He also said that you should train everyday. I imagine that once you are in great shape that is the better way to go. But for us beginners would it be better to train every other day or should I exercise daily? Many thanks.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

03-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Dan,

The only one that can truly answer that question is YOU.

The only advice I could give you is take it slow at first and make sure you DON'T over do it (I promise you won't be doing yourself any favors if you do). If you can train everyday then go for it! And if not, train every other day if possible. The trick is to train, not strain.

God bless and All the Best.

~Nathan

Jesus Christ

Share |

Legacy Member

03-08-2010, 07:49 AM

First, the advice given by Nathan is dead on.

But, I thought some more specific recommendations might be appreciated.

Soooo, that being said, here goes.

As with any new training modality, you are much better off starting out slow. If you go beyond what you are capable of, youíll only set yourself up for set-backs, training-wise.

If you went ďuntil you are slightly tiredĒ before, Iíd suggest you cut those reps in half. Maybe do that for a week, two at the most. Then, add reps only as you feel comfortable.

Iím a BIG advocate of training daily. But, Iíve also found that requires that I exercise within my own limits.

John, as well as others around the forum, perform 100 push-ups daily. But, they didnít start doing that over night. They progressed at their own pace. You have to find your own pace. In order to do that, in addition to exercising your physical muscles, you also have to exercise that one thing so many of us lack. That is patience. If, and thatís a big IF, you can exercise your patience properly, it WILL pay off in the long run.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

03-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Dan,

You've gotten good advice from Nathan and Rob. One thing I'll add that doesn't always translate from the written word. BREATHE. Inhale deeply and exhale forcefully on every repetition whether it is self-resistance or a calisthenic. Personally I beleive that you enhance your recovery ability by increasing your oxygen intake.

Greg

Share |