Share |
Where do I start?

10-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Hi,

I'm very interested in what I've seen here, and would like to buy one of the books. Which one is best to start on?

In case it's relevant, I::
  • am a 39 year old male
  • am an ectomorph with a very long spine and a large head.
  • have a high metabolism and a relatively good diet (so fat loss is not my main aim)
  • have done yoga for 9 years, which is great but I haven't been consistent
  • injury easily (esp lower back & shoulders), esp when I don't keep up with yoga,
  • am always on the move (no fixed address) and work at my laptop constantly
  • when not at my laptop I'm often reading (so you can see where the back problems come from)
  • walk a lot - was recently told by a physio I need to stretch my hamstrings before walking, to reduce the shortening in the hamstrings. (My hamstrings have been stiff for as long as I can remember.)
  • want health, energy, strength and more flexibility, in roughly that order. Looking better is a bonus.

Many thanks!

Share |

10-28-2009, 06:22 AM

Hey Chris,

Great to have you! Before everyone else starts putting in their recommendations, I would like to recommend John's book "Pushing Yourself to Power" . That book literally changed my life. Any of his books will do you great. My boy's favorite is "Isometric Power Revolution".

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 48 years old and started exercising about 2 1/2 years ago. Before then, I hadn't really exercised in years. Most of my time was spent traveling, reading books and preaching. I spent a lot of time sitting on people's front porches talking to them and didn't really get a lot of exercise. I was up to 220 lbs, size 38 pants, high blood pressure and many other health problems. I remember the first night that we started with the program. I tried to do 10 pushups straight and by the end I was struggling. After a lot of help from John and many of the guys here on the forum, being faithful to the workout and lots of sweat, I got down to 175 to 180. You can see the outline of my abs now. My blood pressure is doing great and I can drop down and give you 50 pushups at any given time (in one set). By the way, I am down to a size 32 waist and can squeeze into a 31.

One other thing Chris. I have been off a couple of week and I don't want to come off harsh on my first post but please be determined if you want success. Be ready to do some things that you don't particularly like at first. Be ready to change some things that you do like. My family and I used to be pop tart addicts. I remember when I had been on the forum for a short time and somebody asked me about my diet and I commented on how much we liked pop tarts. John nicely replied something like why would I eat pop tarts when I had all this wonderful fruit down here. Needless to say, I got off the pop tarts and haven't had one in several years. I don't miss them either. We have changed our diets and we are eating clean now. The entire family has lost weight as well. In John's books there are some guidelines on diets where the foods are divided into groups of what to eat to get ripped and what to eat occasionally.

Anything that I can do to help you please let me know.

Aaron

Share |

10-30-2009, 01:52 AM

absolutely PYPT it has a little of everytng in it ( it ws also my first book). and as far as how and where to start, well john takes all the guess work out of it he gives you a plan to follow and brother it works, not only did i get amazing results but ive recoended it to some of my Soldiers and they got amazing results as well. but there is a down side it may cost you a little money.....to but new t-shirts lol but really theres many here on the foum with amazing testamonials you should aske about them then check out the pics.....and age is absolutely not a factor.

but the book i promise you wont be sorry

Share |

10-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Avid readers & desk jockey workoholics should take several 60 sec(or ..?) breaks for the spine health of it - JP's PYTP &/or Yoga books offer many convenient,practical ways to spend the breaks

Share |

10-30-2009, 10:14 AM

hey grunt brain i really like it thats a great way to put it and if the boss complaint...well sir im simply saving the health of my neck and back so i can be more productive for you. lol i love it.

Share |

10-30-2009, 01:51 PM

When I was a working stiff, my breaks included hanging from a tree

Share |

11-09-2009, 11:53 PM

PYPT it is then - thanks!

I'm traveling now, so I'll probably get the book in a month. For now, I'm being consistent with the yoga, so when I get it I'll be starting from a better base.

I'm looking forward to the "convenient,practical ways to spend the breaks". I use Tea Time (Firefox extension) to remind me to break, and do some neck & back stretches, but I'm sure there's much better I could do.

Share |

02-11-2010, 10:31 PM

In the end the overseas postage was too high, so I managed to buy two of John's books locally for the same price: Miracle 7 and the Isometrics one (IPR). Loving Miracle 7 and will report soon. Keeping IPR aside for a few months till I'm ready.

Last edited by Chriswaterguy; 03-28-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Corrected book title. Joe picked up that I wrote "Magic 7"] instead of "Miracle 7"... :-)

Share |

Legacy Member

02-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Chriswaterguy,

Might want to read that title one more time

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

02-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Hi Chris,

and welcome to the forum I find the M7's to be the summum of self-resistance exercises: they shape and energise the body, enhance strength, and can give you a good cardio work-out. You can keep in perfect shape your whole life just doing those seven exercises. Some of our friends on the forum even call them American Yoga.

Jan

Share |

Tags
books