Share |
"Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome"

Author

04-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Hey Friends,

Do me a favor and each other a favor and cut each other a little slack. Each of us is here to share and help one another in the quest for self development. Let's stay focused on the topic and not worry about differences in personality.This is a good thread and there has been some interesting information and insight shared.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

04-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_OldStudent View Post
Of course, since he and I have opposing politics, I have to concede that Joe's not perfect.
I find this statement very disquieting.
Not to worry, Brother Joe,

You're instantly forgiven!

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

Share |

04-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Alan thank you again for your kind words. They make me feel welcome.

Share |

04-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Greybeard for your information there have been people on the site trying to stir up conflict. I receved an e-mail from a guy who claimed that your post was a fake by him. I figured out who he is and it is obvious that he was lying and just trying to stir up trouble. It is great to see you here and we look forward to your future posts. Gordon

Share |

04-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_OldStudent View Post
When I came here almost a year ago, I was in very poor condition. Now I work out in a combined Transformetrics/aerobics pattern for half an hour in the morning, and then I do sets of pushups, various tiger moves, some Kenpo moves, and knee bends throughout the day. Currently I'm doing between 150-200 pushups and 150-200 knee bends in sets of 25 or so each day.
Hi Alan,

I am new to this game (about 3 weeks) and I would say I am in very poor condition as you say you were when you started a year ago. May I ask how many pushups you could do when you started, because I certainly could not even think of doing 150-200 a day at the moment. When I started 3 weeks ago, I just managed 8 pushups till collapse. Now I can manage 2 sets of 15 with a good 5 minutes rest between sets, but only every second day, I need a day between to recover or I actually get weaker and my reps go down. BTW I am 48, how old are you?

Regards,

GG

Share |

Legacy Member

04-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGMan View Post
Hi Alan,

I am new to this game (about 3 weeks) and I would say I am in very poor condition as you say you were when you started a year ago. May I ask how many pushups you could do when you started, because I certainly could not even think of doing 150-200 a day at the moment. When I started 3 weeks ago, I just managed 8 pushups till collapse. Now I can manage 2 sets of 15 with a good 5 minutes rest between sets, but only every second day, I need a day between to recover or I actually get weaker and my reps go down. BTW I am 48, how old are you?

Regards,

GG

Hi GGMan,

When I started, I could do 1 push-up on my push-up bars, maybe 2 from the floor. My form was hideous, and one big limiting factor was even being able to maintain my body in a plane while being on my hands and feet in the starting position.

I practiced doing push-ups from the knees and eventually got back to doing military push-ups. I'd do 3 or 4 and then finish off with 1 from the knees.

So it sounds to me like you're a lot stronger right now than I was when I started a year ago.

Ultimately, you must go at a rate that feels comfortable for you. And I'm sure you'll be surprised, gratified, and proud of what you can do a year from now.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

Last edited by Alan_OldStudent; 04-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Share |

04-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Awesome, that is really good news, and gives me great motivation, thanks Alan.

I was just thinking today how much I enjoy the exercises and look forward to them daily, but thinking how long it was taking for me to see results... then I looked at my calendar and saw I only started 3 weeks ago It seems like ages already!

Regards,

GG

Share |

Legacy Member

04-07-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGMan View Post
Awesome, that is really good news, and gives me great motivation, thanks Alan.

I was just thinking today how much I enjoy the exercises and look forward to them daily, but thinking how long it was taking for me to see results... then I looked at my calendar and saw I only started 3 weeks ago It seems like ages already!

Regards,

GG
In that case, GGMan, measure your progress by how energizing your workouts are and how good you feel afterwards.

If you push yourself towards some preconceived "ought," you may find the workouts become more of an irksome chore than a joy. That will make it hard to maintain the necessary discipline.

But if you can make the high of being energized and the joy of exercise your goals, you'll stick with it. As you have seen, you'll look forward to your workouts instead of dreading them. And then, after a period of time, you look in the mirror and say, "Cabunga! I look better and healthier!"

You will also find yourself gratified at the physical changes in your body.

So for now, measure your progress by how intently you can focus your attention, how good you can feel moving your body in challenging ways, how uplifting it is to your spirits, instead of measuring your progress in centimeters, weight in stone, or kilograms able to be hoisted.

I guarantee that you'll be very pleased with yourself and surprised by yourself if you do that.

This has been my experience, and believe me, I do not have anything more than average native physical talent.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

Share |

04-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Hey guys, I don't know how I missed this thread. This is interesting. Somehow I thought that this was the same thread as John's other one about Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome. I am easily confused at times. When I was a boy my dad used to say, " You are like a turkey, you wake up in a new world everyday!" My dad had a lot of little sayings like that to make you feel good.

GGMan,

First of all, welcome! The advice Alan gave you is right on the mark. A lot of wisdom there. I am just about to turn 48 this June. Even though I am quite a bit younger than you (I know that you are already 48 but when you get our age every day counts), I started a little over two years ago. My first night I could hardly get 8 pushups. Since then I have gotten over 1000 in one day. Almost daily I perform between 300-500. This is not ultra high reps though. I will comment more on this in a minute. Let me tell you a little bit about myself and then I will tell you what the results have been at nearly 48. I had never been the most athletic person ever but very active. Another saying of my dad's was, "Aaron, you can't walk and chew gum at the same time." Well I got kind of chunky really down right fat. At the end of my 45th year, I was right at 220 lbs, couldn't hardly do anything without getting out of breath, high blood pressure among other things. Now at almost 48 I weight between 185-190 wear a size 32 (before I was a 38) and you can see the outline of my abs. There is definition in my back, chest, arms, legs and my glutes (my wife says that I have a nice hiney!). I can outperform a lot of guys in their teens and 20s. I am not bragging that is just the way it is. The ones that beat me occasionally are my own boys and that is because they use John's and Big Jim's methods. Most of the people that I meet cannot believe that I am in my late 40s. They think that I am in my early 30s. People that have known me for years can't believe the change. By the way I am not looking for a date but I do have beautiful blue eyes and a dazzling smile!

As far as some of the problems with high reps, I think that you are going to come into more problems with bad form than using high reps. I have known a lot of people who have had problems with corporal tunnel syndrome, lower back problems, shoulder problems and etc. Most of them are due to the poor form that they used. The only problem that I have had with joints is in my hands. That has nothing to do with the high reps but being a knot headed young man on a motorcycle. A lot of wrecks and stupidity have caused most of my problems. Many times people state "Well the problem started right here on this date" but don't realize that the problem was already there. They are just seeing the effects of it now. For example, I had a lot of my teeth in front completely destroyed by a small calf (about 700 lbs) that I was trying to bulldog when I was a young man. Part of the ones had root canals so no problem there but some of the other ones I have pain occasionally when I eat something cold. It is not because of what I am doing now it was something that happened years ago the dentist said. By the way, I am not a cowboy, never have been. I was raised on a ranch and helped herd cattle. It was some of my friends who dared me to bulldog it.

Anyway, GGMan, any advice that we can help you with please let us know.

Your friend,

Aaron

Share |

04-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Too bad there isn't a 12 Step PGM for lifters. It may amuse some that I pass my Power Belt under a heavy cement park bench for my lift fix. Note, the kevlar belt(unlike some others) wont tear when draped around such objects.

Share |