Share |
Pain and Injury WILL Make You WEAKER

Author

02-25-2020, 04:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail today from a man that has severely injured himself at an extreme fitness style training center. His condition is called "Rhabdomyolysis". We had discussed this many times in years past but the truth is that I hadn't heard about it in a long time until today.

To remind you:

Quote:
Rhabdomyolysis: is a breakdown of muscle tissue that releases a damaging protein into the blood.
It is Rare
Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year
Treatable by a medical professional
Requires a medical diagnosis
Lab tests or imaging always required
Short-term: resolves within days to weeks
Critical: needs emergency care
This muscle tissue breakdown results in the release of a protein (myoglobin) into the blood. Myoglobin can damage the kidneys.
Symptoms include dark, reddish urine, a decreased amount of urine, weakness, and muscle aches.
Early treatment with aggressive fluid replacement reduces the risk of kidney damage.

ALSO NOTE: a condition like this does NOT happen is the result of overdoing it to the extreme. I knew a guy thirty-five years ago (Russel Johnson) that was a first-rate martial artist that was forced to do push-ups for some stupid infraction at a martial arts training center that he was training at. It was written up in the TC Reader and was quite the story of abuse.

Bottom Line: True Physical Culture will enhance every aspect of your life. It will PREVENT INJURY and NEVER BE THE CAUSE OF INJURY. I had discussed this years and years ago with Dr. Lawrence Morehouse and he told me about some college football trainer that had the bright idea that he could have a world-class team by making his team the strongest and best conditioned. He did the opposite by pushing too hard to the point that it was beyond their ability to recover. He ended up with six guys on his team coming down with Rhabdomyolysis. He was fired immediately but the damage was already done. Here's the deal. IF you experience Rhabdomyolysis YOU will be far more susceptible to its recurrence. Your best means of preventing it is to stop your workouts always feeling that you have a little left in your tank. NEVER push to the edge of exhaustion. By using logic and common sense along with gradual and progressive overload you will find yourself doing things in months and years from now that would be impossible for you at the present time but the point is that YOu will get there safely and gradually if you go about it the Living Strength way.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-11-2020, 07:37 AM

This kind of hits home for me.

While I don't suffer from this, I do have significant pain in my hips and back. It is a perpetual problem with me and I am always striving to find solutions and self-medicate.

The issue I have that's related to this is somewhat of a defeating attitude. The pain and lack of mobility holds me back mentally and is always there. It is a significant de-motivator when it comes to working out and trying to repair myself. The one thing that I need is the one thing that the pain demotivates me to perform.

Share |

Author

03-11-2020, 05:41 PM

Hello gbjj,

I appreciate your candor. There is a HUGE number of men and women that are members of the 'Busted Up by Exercise' Club.

It's not hard to find writers that will tell you how to supposedly get into super shape-super fast but the fact is that the outlandish routines that are recommended bust people up. I am 100% convinced that there are people that watch superhero movies that don't realize that anabolic drugs are the unspoken rule that none of those articles talk about. The fact is that the human body can be pushed only so far before something gives or breaks.

For example, in 1961, Jack King told me that he met Olympic Weight Lifting Champion and Gold Medalist Ike Berger at the National Weight Lifting Championships that were held in Ohio. Jack's heroes were Bill March and a few others from the York Barbell Club. Jack talked candidly with Ike about the fact that he had hit a brick wall that he couldn't seem to get past no matter how hard he trained or with what strategy. He said, that Ike asked him how long he had been on 'the juice'. Jack was only 25 and did not know what Ike was talking about and when it came out that Jack had accomplished the lifts that he had without being on steroids of any kind that Ike said he had probably maxed out BUT it was then that Ike told him that if he got on Dianabol he would not believe the difference it would make. SO it was then that Jack was introduced to steroids and he told me that it was unbelievable how fast and how completely you would recover from your workouts. He said that it made possible to train much harder with greater intensity because you were so completely recovered. The point is that the guys training at the super-duper gyms are doing the same thing. They're taking chemical enhancement whether they admit it or not. They recover faster, lots faster and when they get busted up...they really get busted up.

My methods are not about any of that.

---John Peterson

Share |