Share |
Are Isometrics Progressive?

08-06-2010, 10:41 PM

Over the coarse of the last month and a 1/2, maybe 2 months I have been extremely busy (aren't we all), and its good busy. In particularly, I have been traveling 4 or 5 days a week (literally, planes, trains and automobiles) and pushing myself to develop additional professional skills to boot.

Before this most recent period of extreme activity I was enjoying the benefits of a regular high volume power cal routine with DVRs and isometric power flexes thrown in at odd times during the day on a "light day" or for a second workout. I had been making steady progress and often avg. over 500 push-ups, sit ups and squats per day or work out.

Well, I found my schedule so irregular that my split between power cals and isos swapped and there were periods of a few days even when I did not get in any Cals at all, (but I always found the time for Isos)

Guess what happened?

My power cals numbers improved slightly

Any little aches & pains I had subsided

My form improved

&

(this sounds very vain, but) my muscles took better shape

I love high volume power cals and I am a true believer in their ability to develop high function physicality and I enjoy experiencing my numbers of Cals consistently advancing. What I continue to be amazed and amused by is the fact that the efficiency and strength of Isometric Power Flexing and DVR / VRT is also progressive.

What's really amazing is that they also seem to make a person smarter and more intuitive!!!

No kidding!!!

It is a skill like any other and by using your mind alone to forcefully contract your muscles you build / repair tissue and the force of the nerves used to transmit that message. The more you practice, the better you get and the results (for me at least) seem to be two fold. Physical and physiological.

You have to love Transformetrics.

Thanks,

Matt

Share |

08-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Matt,

Hey I have had a similar experience. Once I started doing ISOs I saw improvements in my power Cals as well. Also my blood pressure which was normal got even better.

All the Best!

Bill

Share |

Legacy Member

08-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Hey Matt,

I think you've made some very important observations and it goes against what I was reading today in a sports medicine textbook:

Quote:
Though Hettinger and Muller found considerable gains in muscle strength with the use of isometric contractions, the current opinion in sports circles in the United States is that isometric exercises are probably the least effective form or strength improvement. Isometrics while useful, do not increase muscle bulk significantly, and they strengthen the muscles mainly at the joint angle at which the contraction is performed. With prolonged isometric exercise, the speed of a joint may actually be decreased, while endurance is not improved to any extent. Isometrics will not directly help improve a joint's range of motion.
O.K., my first response in reading that is HORSESHIT, because it flies against my personal experience. It also flies against yours and others here. BUT, to be fair, this is what is commonly taught. Isometrics came on strong in the early sixties for athletic training, but for some reason fell by the wayside. I tend to believe, as you pointed out, without mental strength and concentration, it is hard to make isometrics work.

I could argue each point that was made about isometrics, but instead let me examine the last statement about flexibility. Ironically this same text recommends Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF). In PNF you put a muscle in a stretch position, contract the muscles hard for a period of seconds, and then relax completely while in that position.

Maybe I am missing something here, but isn't that creating an isometric contraction just like you would do in Swoboda style exercise or in Isometric Powerflexing? I'd also have to argue that because you are creating tension and relaxtion in the muscle doing isometrics against an object you are still increasing the blood flow to muscles, tendons and ligaments and by such are enhancing your flexibility.

I know personally, that isometrics have increased my flexibility and my ability to control my muscles. But how about anyone else out there? Who else has found strength, endurance, muscular hypertrophy, or flexibility from the practice of isometrics?

Greg Newton

Last edited by Greg Newton; 08-07-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Share |

08-07-2010, 11:01 AM

My experience with Isometrics and the other forms of Physiologic Exercise [ Power Flexing and DVR/VRT] has been nothng short of amazing. I started to apply them about 30 years ago when I was going through all sorts of business and personal crisis and was able to totally control my emotions under great pressure in a very intense time in competitive industry filled with big egos chasing big bucks. This stuff is fantastic and goes to the center of the mind to help you physically and mentally evolve to face and conquer the most threatening and difficult of situations just like Alois P. Swoboda said. When you have taken control of the weak emotions that we all pick up and have been conditioned into us along the way life takes on a new sense of adventure and fun.

Share |

08-07-2010, 11:05 AM

I wonder if these studies that say isometrics have all these negative side-effects were doing a particularly unintelligent isometric protocol or something. Personally I find isometrics to be amazing, especially when combined with power cals, DVRs, and DSRs.

Share |

08-07-2010, 11:10 AM

I'll take 5,000 year of successful experience over any lab studies.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-07-2010, 11:10 AM

See that is the thing Duff. There WERE no studies other than Hettinger and Muller's. This was entirely the opinion and supposition of the textbook authors. Yet, because it is in a textbook, we automatically equate this with "SCIENCE and FACT."

Greg

Share |

Author

08-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Hey Guys,

I have seen improvements with every Power Calisthenic exercise as a direct result of carefully applied Isometric Contraction. But as has been experienced by each of you, Isometric Contraction requires a laser like focus and there is no getting around that. Nobody can mindlessly perform Isometrics.

I personally believe that the negativity directed at Isometrics has more to do with those that sell equipment than anything else. For example, Professor James Baley the inventor of the Isometric Power Belt and professor of Physical education at a prominent University during the 1960's and 70's had actually stated, "The same results can be achieved in a twenty-five minute session with the isometric belt as can in a two hour session with barbells." As professor of physical education he saw first hand these astounding results.

So the way I view it is this way. Isometrics are the pre-eminent form of strength building.I have many references in IPR to prove the point. However, Isometrics require intelligence in their application. This is where the problem with Isometrics exists. Some people are not smart enough and many are far to lazy. And that my friends is the truth and not intended to be a put down of any person. It is just the truth.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-07-2010, 11:17 AM

"Though Hettinger and Muller found considerable gains in muscle strength with the use of isometric contractions, the current opinion in sports circles in the United States is that isometric exercises are probably the least effective form or strength improvement. Isometrics while useful, do not increase muscle bulk significantly, and they strengthen the muscles mainly at the joint angle at which the contraction is performed. With prolonged isometric exercise, the speed of a joint may actually be decreased, while endurance is not improved to any extent. Isometrics will not directly help improve a joint's range of motion"

Bruce lee would beg to differ with that statement!!!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

You cannot get to this level WITHOUT isometrics!

Share |

08-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Yesterday I spent 12 hours between airport terminals, sitting on a plane and taking a car service home and this morning I awoke to find that my limbs and back did not feel dead and stiff from the travel but full, like if I had done power cals yesterday. Not only did I get a good workout in sneaking in Isometric Power Flexes, the Commander Set and a few DVRs but I was totally fresh today and have already done about 15 hill sprints, 250 push ups and proably 200 or so TBS just messesing around in my back yard playing with my kids and throing the football around. Plus, as soon as I set the laptop down in a minute I am going to cut wood for a couple of hours and I'm sure to work in more push ups and squats. My point in brinigng this up is not to crow, but to point out that these amazing exercises only aide in development and allow me to have a great time. I love running around and doing the cals, it is fun for me and a great example for my children. In my opinion the steady practice of Isometic Power Flexing and DVR / VRT as a training protocol continues to improve the more one practices and as john has often stated it is all gain and no pain.

Thank you forum!

& (literally)

just imagine what's possible,

Matt

Share |

Tags
dvr, isometric power flexing, isometrics, nerve force