Share |
Push-Up for High Intensity Interval Training

Author

02-17-2020, 03:55 PM

Hello Everyone,

Just been asked a question relating to "Ultimate Push-Ups for the Ultimate Physique'" and High-Intensity Intervals.

The question is, "Can the standard Push-Up be used for High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)?"

Answer: YES!!! Of course, it can. At least in theory. But let's clarify what H.I.I.T. is before you try to make the Push-Up the foundation of your own H.I.I.T.workouts.

HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is a training method in which you perform an all-out, one hundred percent effort/exertion followed by recovery periods in which you may be performing a much less intense exercise for up to 3X times as long as the duration of your High-Intensity Exertion. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns a great deal of fat. If performed correctly, Itíll improve your endurance, it will complement your strength development, and itíll help you get shredded in world record time.

But it would also be brutal.

In fact, based on what Jack told me I would say that High-Intensity Interval Training was exactly what he was doing. Jack's method was to perform as many Push-Ups as he could, as fast as he could, and then wait just long enough to recover and perform another set. He told me that he got to the point that he was doing sets of 100+ and completing 10 sets in a workout. He also told me that he often did 1,200 to 1,500 in a single workout once he was acclimated to the exercise.

So that answer to the original question is Yes, you could. But if you try to time precisely how long each set lasts and how long each rest period is you might drive yourself crazy.

---John Peterson

Share |