Share |
Why I Am Not a Strict Vegetarian

Author

10-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just received an email asking me about whether or not I recommend a vegetarian approach to nutrition in 'Power Secrets From The Fountain of Youth--The Nutritional Edge'.

The short answer is "NO".

But don't misunderstand. I strongly believe in the power of a plant-based diet and understand why some people want to be vegetarians (my wife for example). The truth is, just about everyone could benefit from eating more fresh vegetables and fruits (in moderation) because this is where we receive the vast majority of the essential Micro-Nutrients that have such a positive impact on one's foundational health. Most people today who call themselves vegetarians are not true vegetarians, because they also eat some kinds of animal protein, such as eggs or fish. There is a lot of evidence that suggests a modified vegetarian diet that includes clean animal sources of protein is extremely healthy. Combining the Bible’s Old Testament vegetarian guidelines in Genesis 1:29 with the clean sources of animal protein outlined in Leviticus 11 may well be the long-sought-after fountain of youth.

However, after performing years of intense research, I have come to know that most vegetarians have multiple nutrient deficiencies including the macronutrient 'protein'. They often rely on low protein sources that do not provide enough of the right combinations of essential amino acids to allow them to thrive.

Here's the deal. Many vegetarians end up eating grains instead of meats, which further exacerbates the problems. Even worse they rely on estrogenic soybean as a major source of protein. Educated vegetarian food combining (such as my wife Denise is so adept at) can provide a good mix of Essential Amino Acids but generally necessitates far too many carbohydrates into their diet. Blindly mixing various foods is not ideal. Most vegetarians are not strict and also eat eggs, dairy, and/or fish, which can go a long way toward supplying much-needed protein, EAAs, and other vital nutrients, such as fish oil EPA/DHA.

However, for just about everyone, especially strict vegetarians, to obtain Super Health, it is my belief that functional superfoods, such as optimized plant protein powders and essential amino acids, are critical to health and longevity. A word of caution: Infants, children, and young adults should not consume strict vegetarian diets or be on long-term calorie-restricted diets because it can stunt their growth and cause long-term health problems. Neither should pregnant and nursing mothers.

Food is a double-edged sword. The combining of various plant foods from different categories (vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds) can still result in a suboptimal amount of protein, varied amounts of EAAs, and unhealthy levels of carbohydrates. Mindlessly or methodically combining of various plant foods generally does not ensure optimal amounts of EAAs. It is critical for strict vegetarians to supplement with optimized plant protein powders and EAAs. If they do not they lose an incredible amount of muscle mass. This is something that I have observed many, many times.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

10-27-2019, 10:48 AM

In my mid-to late 20s I gave up on meat. However after about 5 years I began to crave something more substantial- meat. It seemed that when I'd drive by a Burger King my car would want to drive in of it's own accord.
I still may go days without meat, and I generally I lean towards fish and chicken. But I am not adverse to some dead cow. I feel much better now then I did in my no meat stage. My personal experience is that some meat is good for us.

Tim

Share |