Share |
Blood Flow Restriction Training

Legacy Member

01-03-2020, 01:35 PM

Hi John, I was wondering if you have looked into Blood Flow Restriction Training (BFR also known as Kaatsu) and what your thoughts are on it. Here is a link to a new video that Dr. Mercola posted that explains what it is, and what the physiological effects are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnOQ5M-2Z9I

I was thinking it would be very interesting to use this tool in conjunction with DVR as well as bodyweight exercises. I don't think it would work as well with Isometrics, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I wonder about the quality of the muscle that is developed in this manner, in comparison to that from conventional methods. I do think it makes a lot of sense for the elderly, and rehab due to the smaller amount of force required to get results.

Share |

Author

01-03-2020, 03:47 PM

Hello Free,

A few months ago Dr. Mercola was making reference to 'Blood Flow Restriction Training' and at the time I had been re-reading Sandford Bennett's 'Old Age: Its Cause and Prevention' as a resource for what I was then writing. On-Page 328 Bennett stated:

Quote:
"To the celebrated athlete, C.A. Sampson, one of the world's strongmen and the rival of Sandow seems due credit of discovering that massage of the muscles during exercise greatly aids their development. The method employed by him was the application of strong elastic bands or straps, which he fastened tightly about his arms during his dumbbell exercise. The alternate pressure and relaxation of the bands as the muscles were contracted and relaxed made a very effective massage. He attributed his marvelous strength to this procedure.

After studying his methods, and the very logical reasons he advances in his book "Strength" for it I procured the elastic straps described and practiced according to his directions. The improvement that resulted was soon apparent, and it was evident that the system would affect all that it's author claimed for it, but the inconvenience of the device was such that I abandoned it. I substituted the exercise on page 327, using, instead of the elastic straps or bands simply the pressure of the hands clasped firmly over the upper arm which I massaged while using the dumbbell (4-pounds).

Development of the biceps and triceps muscles will be found to be very rapid by this system."

Free, I agree with you that this could be very effective but isn't it interesting that Bennett wrote the paragraphs above in 1912. Literally 108 years ago.

If you give it a try, please report to us your results.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-04-2020, 09:02 AM

Hi John, that is really fascinating.

I have been experimenting with this, but the main problem I am having is the complexity of the system, and process. I workout alone, and it seems like it is too difficult to do this by your self. To do it properly, you have to use equipment to determine the pressure at which you occlude the blood flow, on each individual limb, prior to each training session. Then put the cuffs on, and pressurize to 50% on the upper limbs, and 80% on the lower limbs, before exercising.

I am not a fan of too much complexity, which is one of the reasons I have been drawn to the methods taught here, and I am not interested in getting a personal trainer, which is really what I think is necessary to be able to use this technique safely and properly.

If you have any more detail on what you found in the writings of Bennett or others that might describe how this is achieved with just the hands, that would be ideal. I assume you would, somehow clasp one hand around the opposing muscle, while doing a single limb DVR, or both hands around the thigh while doing a single limb squat or lunge. I think I am going to see if I can figure out how to do this and how much pressure to apply. It is way more appealing to me than to have to get out these crazy complex pressurized cuffs and equipment.

Share |

Author

01-04-2020, 06:51 PM

Hello Free,

I agree with everything you are stating.

Bennett's book "Old Age: Its Cause and Prevention" is really an excellent book and well worth the time to read it.

BUT as relates to Blood Flow Restriction Training and all the complication that goes with it, I am totally with you.

NOT ONLY THAT but I also believe that it could have disastrous consequences in the wrong hands for people that apply the cuffs too long or too tightly and as a consequence could be the source of blood clots and other problems. Certainly there is nothing natural about this method of training.

One of the reasons that I mention Sandford Bennett is because he really did accomplish the seemingly impossible in the early 1900s by discovering how to rejuvenate muscle tissue to a very youthful extent through a series of exercises that are totally in line with what we teach here and have taught all along.

Bennett's method was all about rejuvenating muscle mass and achieving youthful elasticity in those muscles. He accomplished this by focusing on exercises that infused blood into the muscle tissue just as we have always promoted. Bennett's medical reports at 72 were amazing in terms of just how complete his rejuvenation truly was. At 72 he re-acquired a very youthful body. I believe that ALL of us can accomplish the same objective by eating good natural food, exercising our muscles for both strength and flexibility and learning how to de-stress.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Thanks John, I am going to continue to pursue this. I agree safety seems to be the primary concern. Here is Mercola's latest video, and the guys in the video seem to be very concerned with safety and have made their equipment with that in mind. I just ordered their system and will report back on my experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89v3nOEuM44

Share |

Author

01-05-2020, 09:44 PM

Hello Free,

Thank You. I hope every man reading this watches that entire video clip.

It was exceptional.

This is the kind of valuable information that can benefit everyone and I am grateful to you for placing it. I was especially amazed to hear what researchers were saying about the benefits of this type of training for helping insomniacs. Wouldn't it be a God-send if people suffering with sleep apnea and insomnia (in general) could get the help they need by utilizing this extraordinary drugless therapy and method.

The more I listened I couldn't help but think about how John McSweeney would have been all over this method for his Tiger Moves as well as Alois P Swoboda, considering what Swoboda stated his methods accomplished with blood flow by keep one's muscles as powerfully contracted as possible and periodically relaxing the tension to let the blood flow into the muscle. In fact, based on what is being stated in the clip from Dr. Mercola its easy to see why Sandford Bennett was sold on the benefits of Sampson's method using the strong elastic bands. Bennett said the only drawback was how cumbersome the apparatus was.

Another thing that I thought was amazing was Dr. Mercola's candor when he stated that you'd be far better off using weights that were 20% of your 1-rep max rather than 30% or 40%. That would literally mean using 30 pounds total if one was capable of doing a 1-rep maximum curl with 150 pounds. As he was saying that I was thinking about something George Jowett had stated in 'Un-Revealed Secrets of Man'. I couldn't help but wonder if Jowett was thinking about C.A. Sampson and had the BFR method in mind when he wrote the following:

Quote:
George Jowett Quote:
Mental concentration is where thousands of bodybuilders fall; they fail to see the dividing line. Blindly they stagger about the road and fail to read the sign at the crossroads. Their case is a reminder of “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” You never saw a pitcher successfully curve a ball over the plate while arguing with the umpire. No, and you never saw a body culturist acquire the superstate of physical manhood with movements that lacked pep and a mind filled with “Gee whiz, how soon will I be done?” They are like the youngster learning music with his eyes on the clock.

Practicing a movement a hundred times or a thousand times will not get you anywhere, nor will pulling and hauling at a ton of iron. The more mental impulse you put behind an effort the less time is required. Movements become clockwork, too mechanical, and hauling a ton of metal is like praying to a bronze Buddha to hand you out a check for a million dollars.

Weight lifting is a sport like baseball or swimming. Your mind is centered on raising the object. In this take a lesson from the men who have acquired the most fame in feats of strength. They never used heavy weights, but dumb-bells light enough to supply them a certain amount of resistance, that did not interfere with their mental concentration. Likewise, they did not harness a set number of repetitions to each exercise, they allowed their physical condition to be the guide. As they became stronger the dumb-bells were increased slightly in weight, but never exceeded 25 pounds each. Not even for the huge muscles that form the broad of the back, or the quadriceps femoris-four head muscle-that comprises the bulk of the thigh. The success of their methods is proved by the marvelous demonstrations of strength they are capable of and by the beauty of their lordly body. As Coolidge put it, "It is not enough to teach men science; the greatest thing is to teach them how to use science."

The science of bodybuilding is the science of concentration between mind and muscle.

Seriously, the more I thought about it the more I realized that performing the 3-stage Isometric Contractions literally accomplish much he same objective as BFR as is obvious from the extraordinary 'pump' you achieve a result. I can't help but wonder what would happen if one applied BFR along with the 3-stage.

Finally, I thought about Dr. John Jaquish's Heavy Duty Latex Band Training. Free, is there any reason that I am not considering that would make Dr John Jaquish's 10-minute workouts with the super duty latex bands incompatible with BFR training? It would almost seem to be a perfect match considering what Jaquish says about pump one achieves with his method of one high rep set to the max. What Jaquish states is 100% in line with what Dr. Morehouse told me were the results of of experiments conducted at the Human Performance Laboratory at UCLA (for building mass 1 to

---John Peterson

P.S. Free, please do keep us informed about your results with BFR Training. This really may be one of the greatest advances in physical training history and if done intelligently it would be "all gain-no pain". Thanks again for posting it.

Share |