Share |
The Case Against Stretching

Author

02-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Hello Friends,

I'm sure that just about everyone reading this post has pondered at some point, how important flexibility is in the overall scheme of achieving a high level of functional strength and fitness.

Personally, I never really thought much about it because each exercise in the Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension Training System that I grew up with had flexibility engineered into it. For example, Atlas had us touching our forehead to our knees with our legs straight when doing Sit-ups and our toes to the floor immediately above and behind our heads when doing Leg Raises. My point is that if you become really adept at performing Atlas's exercises you did not need additional flexibility work.

BUT even so, in today's world, the question is, 'How much flexibility is enough and how much beyond the basic requirement is a waste of time?'

Check this out: https://www.outsideonline.com/240846...ility-research

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-05-2020, 08:10 AM

The need for flexibility, or to what extent, varies with the individual.

As a martial artist, if I want to be able to kick to a certain height, thatís going to require an amount of flexibility thatís not necessary for say a football player.

It all depends on what your goals are.

That all being said, I feel that dynamic flexibility, or the ability to go through ranges of motion, is more important than static.

As an extreme example, if one can do the splits (I cannot), but you canít ďmoveĒ your legs into a similar position (high kick), are they really of any use?

Rob

Share |

Author

02-06-2020, 07:31 PM

Hello Rob,

You offer some great insights.

My take...Dynamic Stretches as you mention...YES!!! Static Stretches? To what advantage?

Coming up through the martial arts ranks I worked hard until I could accomplish what we referred to as "Chinese Splits". Why? I guess because everyone thought it was somewhat important. However, I don't believe they offered even a slight advantage in free fighting or practical application with power.

Once when I was talking with John McSweeney he mentioned his belief that they not only presented no advantage but that he believed that performing 'full splits' was counterproductive and made martial artists far more vulnerable to hip injury and even dislocation as they aged.

Bottom line: I think you are 100% spot on. It really does depend on personal goals.

---John Peterson

Share |