Share |
Dean Karnazes-3 tips for Injury Free Running

04-04-2014, 03:41 PM

This is an article by Ultra Runner Dean Karnazes, now this cat is a freak of nature and can run for literally days.
His first point is to avoid sitting. Think thats a good thing. Sitting can cause back problems and other issues

His 2nd point id what we teach here and he does bw stuff when he starts to get tired.
2. Cross-training. “I think total body training is essential, at least for what I do,” Karnazes said. He injects six quick circuits of a Navy SEAL routine into his normal day. “Between emails. Whenever I’m starting to bonk I’ll pop out a set,” he explained. The routine includes push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Karnazes believes it was because of this cross-training he was able to net his 9th finish in 10 tries at Badwater two summers ago despite a low amount of running volume going into the race due to a heavy travel schedule. Karnazes also admitted that when he travels the first thing he does upon walking into a new hotel is to check out the gym for a pull-up bar. If there isn’t one he’ll improvise—even if he’s stuck with using the shower curtain rod in a bathroom.

3rd point is to wear minamilist shoes. Not a big fan especially for older runners. I wear the Hokas (maximilist) and they have totally eliminated my lower leg injuries. I know too many guys that have injuries form the minamilist shoes that offer no protection at all. I have 70,000 miles on my legs and these things protect my legs like no other shoe.

Article.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...zyJCmwUCyfm.99

Monty

Share |

Banned

04-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Hey Monty,

Is there another shoe simular to the Hokas that you reccomend? Maybe one that could be bought in a sporting goods store? Thanks!

michael

Share |

04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

michael.

I know Brooks has a maximalist shoe. You could ask the clerk but many times these peeps really have no clue about running let alone running shoes. If you can find a running shoe store in your area that would be ideal. Also running warehouse.com has shoes that cost less and you can order online.
Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

04-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Michael:

One of the last issues of Runner's World mentioned that Skechers (think I have the spelling wrong) has a maximalist shoe similar to the Hoka One One. And less expensive.

You can find Hokas in stores. You just have to search a bit. Try thier web site. I don't want to post it here because I haven't asked for permission to do so, but if you do a search for Hoka One One, you'll fnd it.

Monty:

Thank you for posting. Between ankle injuries and creaky knees, every time I've tried to start running again, somethings gone wrong. I've been thinking about the Hokas. You give me hope.

I'm almost embarassed to admit that even though I don't run, I still subscribe to Runner's World to enjoy the sport, albeit vicariously. I do miss it so.

Manny

Share |

Banned

04-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks Monty and Manny! That helps.

michael

Share |

04-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Adidas Adizero Feather are nice, and if you look for deals on Amazon you may be able to score some for under $80. I consider them somewhere between a minimalist and a racing flat. Bonus: they come in some really fresh colors. I train in a more conventional shoe, and the Adizeros are just for wearing around.

Share |

04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Sorry, I thought you guys were on Minimalist shoes, not Maximalist. To me the Maximalist shoes look tall, squishy and unstable. But, I haven't tried them, so better listen to someone who has.

Last edited by CubaLibre; 04-19-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Share |