Share |
Revelations I've had about Body Weight Training

06-29-2014, 10:53 AM

I remember starting my journey in the martial arts when I was 16. I began classes during summer vacation after freshmen year in high school (wasn't held back; parents sent us to school one year later). When I started, I was a thin kid who was relatively strong. However, I knew that for my techniques to be powerful, I needed to be stronger. I began doing pushups a lot because we did those during kung fu. However, being raised in the US, I, too, was conditioned to think that weight lifting was the only way to go and that pushups and the like were pointless. So I invested in a fairly cheap weight lifting set and also a roman chair. Well, long story short, I noticed my body began to feel tight and I was often in some amount of pain. I thought this pain was an indication that my workouts were effective and I was getting stronger. However, I severely, and i mean severely, injured my lower back with the roman chair. I recall my dad warning me but,like all teens, I didn't listen. I walked around with terrible lower back pain for almost two months. It would have days where it felt better but then out of nowhere it would "pull" again. This would happen from activities from round house kicks to picking up a bloody pencil. No matter what I did, it just kept hurting. I remember thinking to myself" I'm 16-17 and have lower back pain. Isn't this 50 years early?". Anyway, after trying everything, I gave up. I cannot recall how I found it, but I went on to Matt Furey's website and read about the back bridge. I ordered the book, and it came in about a week or so. Long story short, after about 3-4 weeks of bridging a few times a week, my back was fine. I have yet to feel any pain in it whatsoever. This injury, or rather cure, proved to be a huge positive influence in my workouts/ physical well being.
I began to research methods that went against the conventional weight lifting. Soon, I found books like Dynamic Strength" by Harry Wong and "Pushing Yourself to Power" by John Peterson and began studying them. I always knew about dynamic tension from kung fu but wanted to have verification that it did work. Anyway, I began using DVRs religiously for months. I remember going to my high school gym teacher and talking about them. His exact quote was "in theory your muscles will build up from that, but they won't in reality". Being a small catholic school, we had only about 30 people in our gym class. One day, the guys are trying to be macho and attempting strength feats. I got involved because I was the "kung fu kid" and they wanted to see what I could do. After seeing our "greatest athletes" (who the gym teacher loved) put on a pathetic display of strength, I tried something way harder than one arm push ups. I literally got onto my thumbs (didn't brace them either with my other fingers), and knocked off ten thumbs only pushups. My gym teacher (thank God) walked in and saw me completing the set. The look on his face was priceless. However, all he said was " that's pretty good'. I cannot recall my exact quote to him but it was something along the lines of "in theory I shouldn't be able to do this".
I'm telling this story not to brag. but rather, I don't want young people in their teens believing in the same garbage that I believed in. I learned that weights are not needed. I can promise you that weights wouldn't have given me the ability to do those thumb pushups. Or more importantly, weights would not have cured my back pain. Which brings me to another point. As many guys on here point out, exercise is not only for strength but for health. It keeps you looking and feeling young; well, supposed to. I've recently seen some of the guys that I went to high school with. After being out of high school for 9 years, they have bad knee pain (probably from running a lot; another pointless exercise), and a myriad of other joint issues. Not to mention, they look like they're in their 40s not late 20s. I mean these guys are a wreck.
I hope some young people read this and really think about it. The body weight or DVR approach will make you strong, and will make feats that seem impossible well within your grasp. I've recently have not really focused too much on the DVRs but I am doing pushup like a madman on the warrior power ts. It feels like you're combining DVRs and body weight exercises together. If only Gary would have invented these 12 years ago... That's a joke, but I wish he did. Take care and ignore the weight lifting nonsense.

Last edited by jris211; 06-29-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Share |

07-01-2014, 09:41 PM

Hey Jris 211
Great story and great you found a safe way to workout. I also started with Matt Fureys stuff which led me to johns site. It's great we have found a safe exercise method that's been used for decades and that works.
Now you mentioned that some of your classmates got bad knees from running, maybe,but highly unlikly. See studies have been done on quite a few runners and they have found that running really does not cause knee issues. What causes it is too much too soon, lack of leg strength and bio mechanical issues.

I am not sure if this was a dig since you posted this on the running forum or you are trying to start a fight. Maybe I am wrong on this, just not sure why you would not post this on the main forum.

Many forum peeps do run including myself, it is not worthless and studies show this starting with Dr. Cooper who has spent his life researching aerobic training. Now extreme running is another story.
Personally I like running cause it gets me outside and I also coach runners at the high school level. Much of our training is interval type training. So not slogging around but becoming faster by running faster which is HIIT training which is the new buzz word in the fitness industry but is really not new.
Anyway great story and glad you are not in chronic pain.
Monty

Share |

10-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Wasn't a dig at all toward anyone. It was on this forum because I was having issues finding how to start a new thread by itself. I just noticed that this was a running forum, so my apologies. I've never been a big fan of running. However, I do still do it, but not much now because it's been cold in the area. I get what you're saying, but it says something when so many people who are big time runners have bad knees, at least the people that I've know in my life. I do think there are better ways to achieve the same benefits that running provides however. Again, didn't mean to make this an insult to anyone on here. Just couldn't find way to make a new thread without replying to this one.

Share |