Share |
A 5k and Transformetrics

11-17-2014, 01:55 PM

HI all,
Last Friday (Nov 14th) I ran a 5K in the city I live in. I ran 19:18 (6:15 pace)winning my age group (55-59) and finishing 18th overall.

The thing is 80% of my workouts are strength training from what we do here. I run about 15-20 mpw with one hard run a week, about 3-4 days a week. I do not race very much but the thing is I felt great the whole way and passed quite a few the last mile. This is due to the strength I have gained over the years and the vest training I have been doing for a few months. My workouts are with the 20lb vest with push ups and pull ups plus ISOs, DSR, DVR , GUTS etc.

After I finished my wife kept telling me how big my arms looked. Now this is pretty cool since being an ectomorph for years.
The next day I had no soreness and resumed my workout on Sat. at a park and did 300 squat/lunges 300 push ups and some pull up holds for a 40 min workout.

The point is my strength powered me through and due to a lot of what we do here being strength endurance, it allows an older runner to run less and still race well.

I do know that doing this type of training has allowed me to continue to jump in a race and do well and beat most guys my age.
Another perk was watching my two 14 year old son run ahead of me finishing 6th and 10th respectably. I told them if they did not beat me they had extra chores. HAHA!! I was kidding of course.

Anyway I was pretty pleased how strong I felt and how fast I recovered.

If you run or race occasionally you can get by with minimal running as long as your doing the various workouts be promote here.

Monty

Share |

11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Excellent! Congratulations Monty and thanks for the encouragement...
ChuckH

Share |

11-17-2014, 02:21 PM

In their seminal work entitled Training distance runners Peter Coe and David Costill commented that Decline in sprinting speed as a runners ages can be compensated for by strength training.

Witness Sebastian Coe who always strength trained to full prepare his entire body .

I run once a week ,on a Saturday , and seem to be able to cover 4-5 miles on a trail quite easily as a result of my circuits in the week.

Evidence that you can verify yourself is always pleasing when it comes to wondering if your workouts actually work!

Share |

11-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Eddy1,

I so agree, your more proof that what we do here works and even if you run once a week, you can still enjoy it. I am sure this could be carried over to swimming, rowing, cycling etc.

This training prepares our bodies for just about anything. I am also a fan of Seb Coe and his dad who coached him. He was a lean strong fast world class runner.

Thanks Chuckh!!!

Monty

Share |

Author

11-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Hey Monty,

First off, CONGRATULATIONS! That indeed is a great accomplishment.

As relates to your experience regarding your greatly enhanced strength and subsequent performance, I'd be lying if I said that I was even remotely surprised. The kind of strength training that you and I do with a weight vest directly transfers to all strength and fitness endeavors due to greatly enhanced strength in direct relationship to our own body and body weight. Combine this with our other Living Strength training modalities and we literally tap into the Fountain of Youth.

Now as relates to you being an ectomorph, I would have to say that YOU are predominately a mesomorph that is extremely lean. I say this because if you were a true ectomorph you would not have the kind of bone structure that allows for such an extreme strength to body weight ratio and believe me Monty, your strength to body weight ratio is extreme for a man of any age.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS!

---John Peterson

Share |