Share |
No Big Deal...I'll Rephrase It

Author

01-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

I got a question from a guy that wonders if I am saying that the High Volume training that I did as a young man is not effective.

Answer: Not at all. I've never said that but for the sake of clarity, I will rephrase what I have stated before.

First off, there are many, many training modalities and all of them can be very effective and the truth is that regardless of whatever it is you are doing today at some point you will experience a point at which it no longer delivers visual adaptations to your physique. This phenomenon is NOT unique to only bodyweight training. It happens with every type of training and the reason is obvious.

Exercise acts as a stimulus to your muscles to make an adaptation. It might be to increase your strength, enhance muscle shape or to lose fat and increase muscular definition. Nothing secret or mysterious there. if you have the right level of stimulus combined with the right levels of nutrition and rest to promote ideal recovery you will achieve the results you want to achieve. No Argument and I hope you're still with me so far and see the logic and common sense behind what I have just stated.

So regardless of what modality you are currently using, whether its the exercises from PYTP or from a series of heavy-duty weight lifting machines or free weights the fact is that at some point the current level of stimulus will not be what you will need to facilitate further adaptation and at that point, it will be necessary to change the level of stimulus, change your nutrition profile, change the level of rest and recovery or a combination of all the foregoing factors. The bottom line is that YOU will only go so far with any given program or method and that once you stop seeing further adaptation YOU will have to change certain factors in order to achieve your desired end.

As I have stated above this IS NOT UNIQUE to bodyweight training, weight training, machine training, kettlebells, super heavy-duty exercise bands or anything else. The point is that you will get to a point where you have to change things in order to make further advancement toward your goal. When I was a kid and reading Dave Cody's muscle magazines literally every issue was dealing with new ways and new routines to enhance further muscular development and adaptation. It was nothing new then and its nothing new now. At some point whatever it is that you are doing will need to be changed in order to facilitate further development.

Example: If you are working on the Atlas (Panther Flex) Push-Up and you work up to 100 reps each and every day and even if you get to the point that you can do a set of 100 consecutive reps either Super Fast or Super Slow there WILL come a point that 100 reps will no longer yield the level of stimulus required for continued adaptation and development. At that point, you'll to need to increase the stimulus. You might do this by increasing the number of sets and repetitions and take it from 100 to 150 and then 200 daily. You might incorporate new angles so that in addition to the standard Atlas you also add the Atlas III Push-Up and the Atlas II to infuse highly oxygenated blood into the muscle tissue from new and unique angles. OR, you may change the stimulus by adding a weight vest in order to increase the intensity of each rep. OR, you may try something else completely different to bring about a whole new kind of stimulus. The possibilities are virtually limitless.

---John Peterson

Share |