Share |
Progressions for bodyweight exercise

12-01-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Working through that pain is just part of damaging the muscle in order to have it rebuild stronger.
Rebuild bigger, maybe, rebuild stronger, I dunno, but Olympic lifters do every lift as fresh and pain free as possible, singles, doubles, triples at the most. They don't want size, they want strength. The pump and the burn get in the way. Powerlifters, also strength seekers, do so also. As I understand it, bodybuilders go for the pump and burn. That's how I always went about it and understood it from observation and lots of reading.

It all depends on one's goals.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

12-01-2009, 01:09 AM

Hey Joe, that is a killer workout, ive done things similar and it makes for a very focused and intense workout. This workout as you've written it (i understand its an example) would probably take a fare amount of time and most of my energy (atleast for me) I wouldnt be able to continue with the same format for a different body part, so how would you use this? As a once a week workout and use this type of template for the other body parts and do one part a day so you could both have time to recover and minimize time of each workout?

Im thinking something like this if it was done once a week for each major muscle group would stack nicely with GUTS if you did GUTS in the morning and then one focused body part workout in the evening, if you had time and energy that is. Lets see, the workout Joe listed covers chest, triceps and shoulders. You could do another one for back doing pullups and or body rows with sets of dsr and or iso rowing! Man that actually sounds really good. Ok what about legs? Hmm, TBS, stepups and lunges with sets of powerbelt isos and wall sits! Then maybe an arm and shoulder day, yeah this could really work, im gonna go draw up a schedule with these ideas in mind and ill get back to you. Joe (and anyone else) let me know what you think about this.

Thanks!
Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Legacy Member

12-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Rebuild bigger, maybe, rebuild stronger, I dunno, but Olympic lifters do every lift as fresh and pain free as possible, singles, doubles, triples at the most. They don't want size, they want strength. The pump and the burn get in the way. Powerlifters, also strength seekers, do so also. As I understand it, bodybuilders go for the pump and burn. That's how I always went about it and understood it from observation and lots of reading.

It all depends on one's goals.

Tom
Hey Tom, ive read and observed this as well. But can you really apply that type of training to what we do? I guess you could if you did isos with the PB but i wouldnt just do that. How often do they train each lift though? Ive read in some places they train the same lift each day doing as you said singles, doubles, triples. But I dont know if this is the best overall approach. I agree for getting strong it is sound but how do we stack it with everything else to also achieve conditioning, endurance, etc? Powerlifters from what I understand, only focus on lifting heavy and that is what they are good at. Nothing wrong with that, if that is what you want but I would rather be more well rounded personally.

So, I think doing isos with the PB or some equivilant will get you similar results in terms of max strength but then what is the best way to combine that with the others methods espoused here? Im still going to draw up that plan i still think it sounds good

My Training Log

Share |

Legacy Member

12-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Tom's absolutely right, I should have said "hypertrophy" not "rebuild stonger." Obviously hypertrophy and strength are not mutually exclusive, however.

Powerlifing and Olympic lifting are sports and require a specific kind of training. I don't think that kind of training is the best for of functional training. It definably doesn't build flexibility and aesthetic. In my opinion that type of training has a very limited, sports-specific application.

A1C, I don't think my example would take too long. I didn't mean do all three DSR exercises between sets, I meant you do one set of Power Calisthenics, DSR #1, another small set of PCs, DSR #2, another small set of PCs, DSR #3 and then start all over. Go for 6 cycles, being a total of 18 small PC sets and 6 of each DSR. I think you could do 2 PCs (pushing and pulling) and 6 DSRs in that workout in under 45-60 minutes.

Lower body gets tougher. I think doing different calisthenics for the lower body with isos might be the best way to go. I know with abs, doing sit-ups followed by planks is REALLY tough. Same goes for lunges and wall squats. I'd have to think of other combination.

-Joe

Share |

12-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Your point is good : the sports are very movement specific.

However, Olympic lifters are extremely flexible. They have to be. Powerlifters can be tight. It is an advantage in some ways. Aesthetically, don't be fooled by the superheavies of the sport. The smaller classes are almost body-building material.

I used to have a prejudice against Olympic lifting when I was in college. I was into bodybuilding and Arnold and Franco were favorites. I remember the Olympic fellow out of the bay area (my age-fog can't remember the name) won the World's Strongest Man contest. I was making all sorts of excuses as to why he didn't really count. Silly me.

Tom

Share |

12-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Back on the lactic thing, though, I think it is part of the natural growth hormone triggering system. I'm not sure, but I think one of places I read it is the Ready Set Go book. Or McDonald.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

12-02-2009, 03:13 AM

Hey guys good discussion.

Joe, yeah that sounds about right for how long it would take, so how would you implement this?
Do you like my idea of doing a seperate workout for chest (the one you made), back, legs, and arms and do these each once a week in the afternoon and do GUTS in the morning?

I drew up a sample plan with this structure in mind, but what do you think?

My Training Log

Share |

Legacy Member

12-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1C Evans View Post
I drew up a sample plan with this structure in mind, but what do you think?
Brother, I don't see how you could follow that plan and NOT get awesome results!

I'd say a split routine would be the way to go, especially if you're doing GUTS too, because GUTS covers the entire body. Upper/Lower body splits with 20 sets total, maybe 10 pushing and 10 pulling. You'd have to do some personal experimentation to figure out what kind of reps per set and what exercises to combine.

Keep us posted, man! We'll come up with some good combinations through experimentation together.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

12-02-2009, 09:52 PM

Hey Joe, Im not going to start until I get back to the states next month, but, I will keep you all posted this routine seems good to me, but i wont know until I try, I will let you know what i find out.

My Training Log

Share |