Share |
Omad0n's got GUTS, v2.0

Legacy Member

02-07-2010, 11:15 PM

My old workout thread had something like 10 or 11 pages to it, and I figured now would be as good a time as any to start a new one. There had been some formatting things I wanted to clean up, and who doesn't like a fresh start. In fact, I've taken some formatting things from my previous posts, and tried to incorporate them here.

What follows is the new format i'll be taking w/ my workout logs. I'm confident that this will keep me moving in the direction I want. Cleaned up posts, new flexed pictures and of course some of my ramblings.

Ultimate Goals:
  • To be able to complete a full GUTS routine, as outlined in GUTS: The Ultimate 24/7 Body Sculpting Training System, page 11.
  • To bring my weight down to at least 145 lbs. by the end of March and maintain that weight.
  • To improve my climbing and complete a 5.12b this summer as well as move up to V5's in my bouldering.

Supporting Goals:
  • To maintain my current strength level, as shown by my current GUTS level.
  • To improve my overall cardio. abilities.

Current GUTS ability (taken from today's routine:
  • Military Pushups - 50.
  • Atlas 3 sit-ups - 58.
  • Hindu Squats - 225
  • Atlas 3 sit-ups - 50
  • Military Pushups - 25, followed by a short break then 11 more.
  • Milo - complete routine
  • Time to completion: 24min 00.0 seconds

Diet:

By diet I'm mostly referring to the method of which I'm using to lose weight. At this time it's calorie counting, though I'm hopeful to move away from that as I reach my goals.

My caloric budget is 1,532 calories per day, This type of caloric load should theoretically have me losing 1.5lbs a week. Which would mean I will be at my goal weight in 2 weeks. However, I love food, and don't always stick to the diet perfectly, so we'll see how that part goes.

The numbers are calculated through a free iPod calorie counting program that automatically adjusts my caloric intake based on my current height (5'5") and weight. I estimate the GUTS routine to burn 200 calories, and for rock climbing I take the standard "ascension" numbers in a climb and divide that in half for calories burned in that activity.

Current weight:
  • 147.8lbs

Pictures taken after today's workout:
IMG_1102.jpg IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1104.jpg

Thoughts on today's workout:

The workout today was great! I went a little overboard and felt kinda cruddy immediately afterward, however I felt normal if not better within about 5 to 10 min. I'm very excited to be getting this new workout log up and running, and feel like it will help to keep me motivated for my goals. It won't always be filled out to the extent of this first one, but I wanted to give a clear picture of what I'm after right now. I also thought it might be helpful for people looking to learn or work from my journal, while making their own.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at the new post/format/workout and know that I'll do my best to keep it updated and progress charted. The next set of pictures will come in March around the 8th for those wondering, and if anyone has questions please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best!

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Last edited by omad0n; 02-20-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added the forgotten milo in

Share |

Legacy Member

02-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Here is my info for yesterday a little late.

Yesterday's weight:
  • 147.8lbs

Yesterday's workout:
  • Climbing for 1hr 15min.

Yesterday's Thoughts:
Overall it was a good workout. Admittedly my legs were sore going into the climbing, and even sorer (is that a word lol) afterward. The stiffness was so bad I spent any time walking, looking rather stiff. My hope being that my body will repair itself by the morning of course.

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Today's weight:
  • 146.0lbs

Today's workout:
  • Cycling for 45 min.

Today's Thoughts:

Holy Guacamole! I'm very happy about the weight today. Haven't done GUTS yet, because my quads are still pretty sore. The bike ride loosened them up though, so I might give it a whirl later today. At the very least I've gotten some of a workout today. Plus the weight is still right on target. More posted as it comes!

Share |

Legacy Member

02-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Today's weight:
  • 146.6lbs

Today's workout:
  • Climbing 1hour and 30 min.

Today's Thoughts:

Good workout today, legs were feeling better when I awoke. The first half hour of the climb felt really slow though, like my body couldn't get in gear. I can say that the last 30 min. were very effective, and I am feeling good presently. I'm also thinking that overall my body is making changes it needs and that I should be hitting my goal weight soon.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Today's weight:
  • 146.0lbs
Today's workout:
  • GUTS ability (taken from today's routine:
  • Military Pushups - 50.
  • Atlas sit-ups - 62.
  • Hindu Squats - 210
  • Atlas sit-ups - 62
  • Military Pushups - 16, followed by a short break then 20 more.
  • Time to completion: 24min 06.7 seconds
Today's Thoughts:
Goodness, was today rough. True, I improved my GUTS numbers overall. The pushups on the end pretty much drained me completely though. In so much as, I did the Milo routine, but not strongly. I also pushed them so hard that I have been a little light headed since completion, but that's going away. The pig difference in the military and atlas 3 push-ups is that the militar yi can rest from and push out some more. With the 3's it was much harder to do that.

I took it a bit easier on the squats today, as I'm hoping not to have my legs sore for o long this time. Amazing how strong they feel with only a few GUTS routines in them again, and yet how achey they can be while I'm building the endurance back up. I'm still looking to get to a solid military push-up at the front and end before moving back to the atlas 3's, but overall am very happy with my numbers.

Finally, the weight is right on target for where I would like. I believe I will hit one of my goals (target weight) very soon. I'm also really liking the changes in the mirror as I'm getting low enough for more dramatic differences to be visible. Pictures up 1 month from when I took the others though, unless I get a lot of responses that they wanna see sooner.

Last edited by omad0n; 02-20-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added milo back in

Share |

Legacy Member

02-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Today's weight:
  • 146.8lbs
Today's workout:
  • Climbing 1 hour and 30 min.
Today's Thoughts:
What a climb today! I was really happy with the workout. My body really pushed itself, as did I. Hit some new heights as far as my personal bests, and kept the strength up throughout the whole workout. Figured out some new routes, and solved a few that had been giving me issue. Looking forward to more progress, and I'm feeling even more confident that my goals will be accomplishable.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Today's weight:
  • 147.4lbs
Today's workout:
  • Climbing 1 hour and 45 min.
Today's Thoughts:
So, the weight is up today, what gives? Well first of all I took valentines day off, figured I would spend the day with my lady. Secondly I ate WAY too much at dinner. Worth it? You bet, but not something that can be maintained regularly while still losing weight. I expect things to keep settling out and that my weight will keep working its way down.

Today's climb was nice, not as intense as Saturday's, but I felt like I was getting work done and being strong.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Today's weight:
  • 146.4lbs
Today's workout:
  • Climbing 1 hour 10 min.
Today's Thoughts:

Good climb today, feel like I'm making consistent progress. However, I'm also slacking when it comes to GUTS, so I'll need to make sure I'm more diligent to keep pushing that front and working my body on off days as well.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Today's weight:
  • 146.6lbs
Today's workout:
  • GUTS:
  • Military Pushups - 50.
  • Atlas sit-ups - 58
  • Hindu Squats - 220
  • Atlas sit-ups - 57
  • Military Pushups - 25
  • Time to completion: 24min 00.3 seconds
Today's Thoughts:

Good workout today. I am a bit bummed I'm not pushing the numbers harder, but truth be told I think it's because I'm not performing the routine... routinely enough. I am deliberating how I"m going to get more of it in while rock climbing. Probably a sub maximal routine. That way I keep my legs strong. I'll have to try out a GUTS light tomorrow after, or maybe before climbing. More as it comes!

Last edited by omad0n; 02-20-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added milo back in

Share |

Legacy Member

02-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Today's weight:
  • 147.4lbs
Today's workout:
  • Climbing 1 hr and 10 min.
  • GUTS Short version:
  • Military Pushups - 20
  • Atlas sit-ups - 33
  • Hindu Squats - 100
  • Atlas sit-ups - 33
  • Military Pushups - 20
  • Time to completion: 8min 46.5 seconds
Today's Thoughts:

Well well well, so today was the first day that i've tried doing some GUTS and some climbing. Note that the climbing was first.

Overall, I felt like I had a good climb today. Tried a bunch of new routes that I was able to do, and found some that I was not, but will make for good challenges. The day started me out feeling rather sore and stiff from the GUTS plus the 2 walks I had yesterday. One might wonder what gives with the weight. Easy enough to explain.

Anne and I had dinner late last night out with friends, came home and fell asleep till morning. Body didn't really have time to digest it before sleep, and probably ate a bit much for that time of night anyway! I don't expect the weight to continue to be high tomorrow unless I do something odd for dinner this eve.

The mini GUTS routine went very well, I felt good throughout, and afterward. I didn't do the milo with it, though maybe I should have. I was simply trying to do the basics at 1/3 the normal level or slightly above and I achieved that. It will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow and what my body wants to give for the full routine. Time will tell!

Share |

Tags
guts, omad0n, pushups