Share |
I Don't Disagree in The Least...I Just Do It

Author

12-16-2019, 09:12 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have been exchanging e-mails with a young physiologist from the UCLA Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory (EPRL). He tells me that he has thoroughly enjoyed reading my books but is amazed that anyone could follow the exercise protocols given and not be reduced to skin and bones as a result, let alone build a fine physique.

For example, he told me that he and several of his colleagues that have read: 'Ultimate Push-Ups For The Awesome Physique' have been amazed to read about Jack King and the fact that he was performing workouts twice weekly of 1,500 Push-Ups or more in sets of 100 and developing his best-ever physique. The same goes for Herschel Walker, Woody Strode, myself and others. He says that according to the latest academic research findings in physiology, anyone exercising in the fashion that I present in virtually all of my books should be reduced to skin and bones and yet that is not the case.

He states that according to numerous research studies that the methods that I teach and espouse are contrary to exercise science and yet somehow it all works. He knows because several people have tested the program outlined in Ultimate Push-Ups and have achieved stellar results BUT...This should not be the case according to their extensive research studies because they "Know" conclusively that the highest level muscular hypertrophy is achieved with resistance that allows for only 6 to 8 repetitions per set with 3 to 4 sets being the optimum.

He asked me, "Mr. Peterson, How do you account for this contradiction?" My Answer: "Obviously the people that follow my methods don't have the benefit of your contradictory research to enlighten them so they just go ahead and follow my program and get the results they hoped for in spite of it."

Seriously friends, don't you get a kick out of this stuff? I think its laugh your ass off funny as Uncle Wally used to say.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-17-2019, 08:11 AM

As with any "research", they obviously aren't capturing ALL of the factors.

Exercise is one of those things that if one piece is changed, it can easily alter the overall results, for better or worse.

I remember doing really well with the Ultimate Push-Ups routine. One just has to pay attention to themselves and adjust as necessary.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

12-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Pushups can work for many people but a program of just themselves alone won't always work for others. Unless they're done in a high rep fashion or extremely reduced reps but with a slower tempo, I don't see a program like that going too long.

When I was doing circuits, I was doing 100-200 Pushups per workout and it included other calisthenics and punching/kicking exercises. I stopped doing the Pushups for a while cause they just kept making my shoulders feel off. I get better shoulder strength and mobility from crawling movements and Isometrics. The closest pushup I'll do would be Hindu Push-ups and don't need to do a ton of them to get good results.

Some can get into high rep calisthenics but after a while, it can get boring, doesn't mean they don't work, they just aren't working for that person. If you play your cards right, crawling and other other exercises where you walk on your hands build far better shoulder development than Pushups imo along with adding pulling movements/ Hanging exercises.

Those guys at UCLA are basing on what they find through scientific study and whether they're right or wrong is irrelevant. John, your programs do work but to a degree and that goes for everyone that puts out a product or training manual, many do work but not meant for some people no matter how healthy they are, it's the nature of the best. Pushups are essential but they're not going to cut it no matter how good the program is because many just aren't going to get into them.

Share |

Author

12-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Hello Ware,

You would be surprised at how many people have purchased or reviewed my books. Or how many have been exposed to them in libraries. I published my first book more than 16 years ago and several people like the physiologist that I referenced above have either read or have come across my books previously. In fact, there have been articles in men's fitness magazines that have mentioned me and my books.

You see, the fact is that far as academia is concerned things are not as neatly tied down for the masses as you might think in terms of validated methods for achieving maximum strength and fitness and to do so SAFELY in minimum time. That is why human performance laboratories all over the world are constantly looking for something new. To this day, new and old methods of training are being tested and retested. And more often than not the new methods end up being not new at all. Why is that the case? Generally, it's because decades ago some of the methods were practiced under a different name. For example, there is something that is now being promoted as a NEW strength training method that is anything but:https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi..._rid=760962458 The restricted blood flow method listed here was referred to in Sandford Bennett's "Old Age: It's Cause and Prevention" and is mentioned in detail on page 328, in which Bennett describes his own experience with using elastic straps to restrict blood flow. The reason I mention this is because Bennett's book was written in 1912 so the idea that this is something new is incorrect even though it may be completely new to a new audience.

In addition to the above, there is also another very real phenomenon that happens that no one can possibly anticipate. Something that ends up being a curveball that changes virtually everything that has been known or understood about human capacity up to that point in time.

For example, there was a time when physiologists stated flat our that if a person were to be exposed to extreme cold for a certain amount of time that he or she would last only so long before biological systems would completely shut down and the person would then die of exposure. BUT THEN Wim Hoff comes along and through his own person proves all of the data collected to that point to be wrong. Not only that but he also then teaches other men and women how they too can experience extreme cold and even use it to tremendous advantage in heling their bodies of various conditions.

Over the years I have spoken with a wide range of educators, doctors, and athletes that went out of their way to contact me and I have even had numerous phone calls from Europe, Scandinavia, and Russia where my books have been republished in Russian. Bottom line: I'm a lot more widely known than you might think.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-17-2019, 10:12 PM

John,
The alleged physiologist is either pulling your leg or he is a dumb s**t.
He has your books, all he has to do is give the protocols a try.
You-tube has loads of guys who have posted videos/pictures of before and after 30 days of 100, 200 or 300 pushups a day. Look at the pictures dumb s**t!!!
Talk to a High School wresting coach or men leaving the joint.
Spend some time at a weight-lifting gym and someone there is always trying out a "new" protocol. This man has been living under a rock. Or maybe he is in the closet and gets off on you telling him how hard your biceps are
Tim

Share |

Author

12-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Hello TimK,

Great post! This physiologist is a very real young man that has a level of tunnel vision that has been 'programmed' into him.

There truly are structured methods according to academia that have been tried, tested and proven. YET, people come along that completely challenge all presupposed supposition and literally prove it wrong.

There are always those looking for an edge and hence they are looking for the latest and greatest in chemical manipulation, exercise methods etc. A good example is to check out the link to Mercola that I posted above. The idea proposed in the article makes it appear as though it came from studies done in Japan, which may have actually happened but just as I related above it was a method used and promoted more than a century ago.

The same is true with what I wrote about Wim Hoff. The 'ICEMAN' is living proof that physiologist had it all wrong. This brings up a very important factor that is not considered in statics compiled from research studies of college freshmen that are participating in a study for the purpose of getting a grade. That factor is the individual's thought processes and 'Will' as relates to what he is accomplishing with his exercise. That my friend is something that cannot be taught or quantified and YET more than any other single factor it will determine what can or cannot be accomplished with any method of exercise.

Everyone reading this should check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkGDrnAfTQ

---John Peterson

Share |