Share |
Rule modification - Need your opinions

Legacy Member

05-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Let's make "others" mean everybody in the world.
As far as it goes, there are plenty of folks in this world that deserve 0 respect. Here's and example of such a person. My rule of thumb is to always show respect to a person until they prove they don't deserve it. Giving a person respect when they don't deserve it is a mistake, by doing so you are enabling their negative behaviors.

Take our friend here who purposefully vomited on a girl. Show this scumbag respect and he'll have no reason to change his behavior. He'll be treated the same whether he acts like scum or not. So by showing him respect, you are enabling him.

Nope, I don't for a second believe that everyone deserves respect. Respect in earned or at least it can be lost. An important life-skill one must learn is how to discriminate between those who do and do not deserve respect.

Another important life-skill, off topic as it is, is learning to discriminate between who you try to earn respect from. If you're trying to earn the respect of a criminal, for example, then you're going to lose the respect of honest people. Simple as that is, a lot of people don't get it - particularly young people.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

05-17-2010, 11:17 AM

That rule sounds like a good idea to me.

It's general enough to cover most, if not all, of the bases.

Rob

Share |

05-17-2010, 11:36 AM

In terms of a public internet forum, I look at respect as meaning civil discourse.

I differentiate respect and admiration. I choose civil discourse or not discourse at all, whether it is to someone I admire, like, agree with, not agree with, or not really care for. If it goes below not really care for, I don't discourse.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

05-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Respect is a great word to use. We can all make our points and do it in respectful tones and respectful attitudes and language. For me, I know that there are only so many minutes a day that I can at least read through and once in a while jump onto the forum and I'm sure that's the case with a number of people here. If it turns into a disrespectful exchange..then we all loose out and people won't want to be here anymore.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Sounds good to me Joe, I think that you, John, and Greg, and the other members do a good job of keeping the forum respectful, we dont need people to disrespect members and new members here, we are all here for the same purpose, sharing tips and suggestions on health and exercises, so everyone should be kind to each other, whatever you decide, I to do you got my vote.

Share |

05-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Great points. I like your additional verbage Joe. It underscores what we all understand to be the tone of this forum. Or, as you said, it is a unifying statement.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

05-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Life is a series of choices that in the end determine our individual destiny. The number of those choices become greater and greater as change breaks down old barriers and the number,risk, and complexity of the choices become greater and greater. I see nothing wrong with the new rule although I think those values are already part of the decorum of this forum. I am sure that individually some ot the Wiley's will try to break through and here and there one of them may make it occasionally,but as a group the are a bunch of broken men. They started fighting among themslelves and their site has collapsed- just like everything else in their lives. We knew it all along!

Share |

05-26-2010, 07:21 PM

I think that is not only a great modification, it exemplifies the atmosphere you guys have built here.

Joe, you and I don't always agree, and we tackeled our weight issues with slightly different phillosophies, but we are proof that honorable men can disagree honorably.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingGuy View Post
Joe, you and I don't always agree, and we tackeled our weight issues with slightly different phillosophies, but we are proof that honorable men can disagree honorably.
I disagree.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Thank you Joe.Sounds like a great thing..Respect=Honor and esteem

Last edited by Kevin Nickerson; 05-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Share |

Tags
forum