Share |
The Carnivore Diet

Author

11-13-2019, 06:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I was sent a link to the following article and it certainly makes some good points. It's about a fad diet that is as old as mankind depending on what part of the world one is from. The reason I say fad is because a diet consisting of nothing but meat is not sustainable in the long term if one is talking about consuming nothing but cooked meat. There are all kinds of nutritional deficiencies that one would eventually experience.

I realize that Canadian Psychologist Jordan Peterson and his daughter Mikhaila are strong advocates of the supposed healing benefits of this diet. I have no doubt that for a time it may seem that way to them but ultimately they will likely end up changing their minds about it once they have been on the diet long enough for nutritional deficiencies to become obvious. I say this because I had two friends that followed the Atkins diet to the extreme and for several months it worked the way Dr. Atkins said it would but eventually Carl and Jack ( my friends) became sluggish and had a hard time thinking and that's when the light went on for them.

I made the point above for one reason and it is this. I read Vince Gironda's 'Blueprint for the Bodybuilder' when I was 17 and Vince included an 'All Steak Diet' that he clearly stated was to be followed for a brief period of time to accomplish a specific purpose but once accomplished to be dropped in favor of a more balanced diet. The key is to not plan on anything being a lifelong pursuit but to use a little logic and common sense.

Note: The 'all meat diet' is NOT the same as the so-called 'Eskimo diet' that the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson had written about 80 years ago. Why? Mainly because of the fact that the Eskimo diet is a completely raw meat diet. Cooking destroys a great number of nutrients but on the other hand, it also destroys parasites that may be present.

I don't regard this approach as any better than any other extreme that eventually causes serious imbalances. Especially considering how easy it truly is to achieve nutritional balance without going to any extreme.

Anyway, here is the article and its worth a read to gain an understanding of what this fad diet is all about.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/p...=pocket-newtab

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Hi John, I hope you don't mind, and if you feel this is inappropriate I understand if you delete my post, but for the sake of balance, and so that everyone can be fully informed about this diet, you can check out Dr. Shawn Bakers web site https://meatrx.com/.

I am personally on the fence about this, but there are a lot of people who have really turned around some of their long term health issues, and there is a fair amount of research on his web site to support their point of view.

I just think everyone should have the opportunity to look at all of the evidence and make up their own minds, after comparing the popular science article to what is available on Shawn's site, and in his video blogs on youtube.

Share |

Author

12-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Hello Free,

I'm not deleting anything. I think it's important to be able to compare alternative information and then decide for yourself.

Even more important is to consider how it is presented. As stated above, I have known people that had benefitted tremendously for a period of time in following the Atkins Diet only to at some point 'hit the wall'.

I'm not saying that that would happen across the board. In fact, I think that for a period of time it might actually be the answer to a large number of people.

Thanks for placing the link. It's a very good one.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

12-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Most diets don't do well from a general stand point and many come in all shapes and sizes. Matt Furey is big on the carnivore diet these days as well and apparently has worked very well with him. It's an individual thing and very few studies are actually believable and show the effectiveness.

Here's my POV on certain diets, I'm not going to take advice from a study or someone who's been on a diet and looks like the wicked witch of the west and tells me this diet will keep you young and vibrant it's pure bullshit. Now if someone who's had success with a diet, looks vibrant and has a strong system in their body to go with it, maybe I'll take advice from that person but a huge if....I've been on different diets before and very few have ever did well for me. These days I don't eat a ton like I did in my 20s and only eat when I'm hungry. I do count that I've had good genetics and at 35, I still look like a guy in his early to mid 20s. Never smoked a day in my life, rarely if ever drink, only been drunk once and don't take any form of medication. Not many men my age in this generation can say that, I've been around guys in their 20s and they look older than I do.

All in all its about choices and what you're willing to put your body through that will make the biggest difference. You can be on the best fad diet today and it might be more harmful to your body. Diets are money makers for gullible people who want something they can't figure out on their own or haven't made enough mistakes to realize what they're doing isn't going to help them.

Some people have had long lives without ever being on special diets and some people who have been on diets have died young, it's a viscous truth. Diets don't take into account on stress and time people need to get into it. Sometimes even being a health but can put a damper on someone's life. Eat better quality food like meats, veggies and the such and go with that.

One last thing. Diets aren't going to a mean a damn thing down the road if all it's going to do is make you hate other foods. I have a grandmother who is 98 years old and her food intake is mainly diet Pepsi, TV dinners and burger king. It's not the best things to eat and drink and sure as hell hasn't killed her but the point I'm making is, diets will only take you so far and at the end of the day, eat and drink the best you can and live a quality life the best way you can.

Share |

Author

12-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Hello BennyB,

You make some great points.

The point that I want to make is that I have known friends that did just great on the Atkins diet for a period of time, say three months or so, and then they developed Gout as a result of Uric Acid build-up because of the heavy meat intake.

I've also had a few friends that went on the Protein Power Diet that was very much like the Atkins Diet and other variations that are all very similar. But believe me, none of this is new. In fact, if you were to read the journals of Lewis and Clark you'd read that at times the men on "Corps of Discovery Expedition" were consuming 10 pounds of Bison per man, per day and feeling starved because they were not getting any carbohydrates and that at such times there were severe behavioral problems to deal with, some men getting 100 lashes.

I have also known men that went totally vegan and eventually lost their hard-earned muscle mass.

Bottom Line: Extremes of any kind always lack balance and sooner or later things have to change.

---John Peterson

Share |